A Couple of Cajun Bandit rotisserie Cooks: Chicken and Boneless Leg of Lamb

J Grotz

TVWBB Wizard
I was gifted a CB roti by my wonderful wife. So far I have used it on two cooks. The first cook was a pair of chickens with drip pan potatoes (not pictured) on the lower cooking grate with no water pan. Everything was delicious. However, the 22 is a big cooker that uses a lot of fuel so I wanted to experiment with raising the charcoal bed higher in the cooker (more like in a 22" kettle) to see if it would use less fuel. I did not find any charcoal baskets locally, so I bought a pair of the old cage style fences and clipped them to my lower cooking grate with a drip pan between the two. This setup put the coals about 8" below the level of the top grate. That distance on a 22" kettle is 5". The lamb turned out delicious, but the outer crust could have been better. The drip pan potatoes were a miss. Unlike first cook, there was no heat source below, only from the sides, so they did not brown or finish cooking. I'm not sure what I will try and spin next. I appreciate any thoughts on getting the most out of my roti.

IMG_3122.JPG

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3250 (2).jpg

IMG_3251.JPG

IMG_3252 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3251.JPG
    IMG_3251.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 1
Looks really good J. I love my Weber rotisserie. My wife got me the CB roto for my 26er at Christmas. Haven't used it yet. It has the battery powered motor. I'll see how that works out

All looks good. Sometimes rotisseries are hard to beat.
Thanks Russ. I will definitely be spinning more food. My SiL is coming for a visit at the end of the month (assuming she doesn't postpone cuz COVID19) and I want to spin a rib roast.

Looks really good J. I love my Weber rotisserie. My wife got me the CB roto for my 26er at Christmas. Haven't used it yet. It has the battery powered motor. I'll see how that works out
Thanks Cliff. I had the Weber roti for a Performer I had before we built the island in the first photo; I loved that thing. For some reason I never got a roti for the built-in charcoal grill that replaced the Performer. The CB ring is first rate quality. I'm fortunate to have power near where I use my WSM. My wife chose the corded version because of that and the load capacity. I can't wait to see what you spin on your 26er.

Thanks Cliff. I had the Weber roti for a Performer I had before we built the island in the first photo; I loved that thing.

I meant to compliment you on your grilling island when I commented the first time. Those electrical outlets are sweet. First thing that caught my eye. I'd love to have some kind of a set up like that. I do the extension cord boogie our to my grilling canopy for my rotisserie, atc's, outdoor lighting etc. I get it just the way I like it and then a couple of windy days come along and I have to take it all down. Maybe some day.

I meant to compliment you on your grilling island when I commented the first time. Those electrical outlets are sweet. First thing that caught my eye. I'd love to have some kind of a set up like that. I do the extension cord boogie our to my grilling canopy for my rotisserie, atc's, outdoor lighting etc. I get it just the way I like it and then a couple of windy days come along and I have to take it all down. Maybe some day.

Thanks, Cliff. We've had the island for 14 years and have gotten our money's worth out of it. There's so much competition around here in the BBQ island market that it wasn't nearly as much as we thought it would be.

Gotta love leg of lamb and the rotisserie got it done right! Congrats! Been waiting to pull the trigger on a CB unit recently. This post only fortifies that decision. Thanks for sharing. Good work!

Do you remember what your internal temp was on the lamb?

I have one thawing now to rotisserie on the kettle on Sunday. Your level of done-ness is good for me.

My notes from last time say pull at 130, but it's been a while.

Back