8 Butts at Once And a Gator!

Scott Hollister

TVWBB Member
I know, sounds like a 80's rap song...

Do you guys think I can fit/smoke 8 butts on a 22" WSM? My sons graduation party is on Saturday and that is my plan, hopefully doable... I've done as many as 6 and I think I can get another 2 on there. Any tips or tricks for doing that amount would be helpful.

On a side note I'm also doing a 35lb gator on another smoker that I am borrowing. That will be a first for me, but what the hell...

Last edited:
Depends on the size, but it's possible, 4 on top, 4 on bottom. I have an extension rack that goes on top to give me a third, though I've never loaded it down that much. I would rotate them around a bit during the cook to help them cook even and get the bark all around. Going to suck down a lot of fuel though, with that much cold going in at once, might even be hard to get up to temp. Might want to cook them ahead, stagger the wrapped portions to the oven, and then just reheat the pulled pork (assuming you are pulling them) in the oven the day of the party.

Charlie

Cooking a gator sounds exotic. But there are many successful recipes. Only thing I know is stew and the fat is reallly bad

I've done 6 -10lbrs on the 18, just set em up like a teepee, 3 on both racks.
8 on the 22, yea should work.

I know, sounds like a 80's rap song...

Do you guys think I can fit/smoke 8 butts on a 22" WSM? My sons graduation party is on Saturday and that is my plan, hopefully doable... I've done as many as 6 and I think I can get another 2 on there. Any tips or tricks for doing that amount would be helpful.

On a side note I'm also doing a 35lb gator on another smoker that I am borrowing. That will be a first for me, but what the hell...
I have smoked a full case at 1 time. It took 20 hrs +-. I trimmed all the fat cap off so I could get bark on all 4 sides. There is plenty enough fat throughout. Started with 76 lbs before I trimmed ended up with a little over 50 lbs finished product. I started mine at 10pm and was up at around 6 am and added more fuel around 8 am. I put the bigger ones on top and smaller on bottom and they all came off within 30 minutes of each other.

Here is a gator cook recently that caught all of our attentions.

Thread 'Whole gator on a Ranch Kettle' https://tvwbb.com/threads/whole-gator-on-a-ranch-kettle.85450/

I think the WSM can handle it, lot of fuel, I would get the WSM over target temp WITH AN EMPTY WATER PAN before I put the meat on. Like others I would have that done a day or two early and just reheating on the day. My opinion is bbq is always better the few days after being smoked.

I saw that cooking capacity page and that is why I posted the topic, it has 6 butts as max...

So go with empty water pan throughout? When I did 6 I had water in it, but I'm good with going without. Then I don't have to refill it!!!
I have plenty of fuel and am thinking of cooking tomorrow instead of Friday.

Thanks for the gator thread!

The main reason for having water in the water pan is to act as a heat sink and to help keep temps from climbing too high. I do not think that with 8 butts you need that heat sink as I think 60 lbs. of meat is enough heat sink as it is! Good luck tomorrow! I think it is a great plan getting it done early!

Wow, 8 pork butts at once. That is a big graduation party! Where's my invite?!

I can't offer advice on if they will fit, but "where there is a will, there is a way"....and like Jeff mentioned, try using some butcher's twine to tie them up tight to save some real estate.

Please post pictures.

Back