8 Butts at Once And a Gator!

How are they now. Was going to say up the temp or wrap but I think you have plenty of time.

Party on Saturday so plenty of time to get things perfect. And a couple days to think up more things to add in....

Thanks for the pics

Last edited:
Thanks guys! They are looking good. 181 on probe, again one butt. At 190 I will check a few others. Here's a pic at 10 hours when spritzing.

I did find a pork belly that I think I will do with the gator and of course I have to do a chicken for the gator's mouth... Yeah, with this much time I keep thinking of things...

FYI, tonight it's Russell's Reserve bourbon instead of Leinie's!

Attachments

• still cookin.jpg
    still cookin.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 21
Scott - Came back to see how this worked out. Nice job, got plenty of room to spare too. 👍 That 22” is big.

The most I ever packed my 18” was 6 butts, 7-9 lbs each. When I would pack it full like that I would only foil a dry water pan. I found I saved a bunch on fuel, and it didn’t make a difference in controlling temp. The meat was plenty heat sink.

Hit 195 on all but the 11.5lber at 10:30, so a 16 hour smoke. The 11.5 was 188 but tender so off it went as well. Let then\m sit for 30 minutes and pulled. I was a lot less of an issue getting 8 done than I thought it was going to be and they turned out wonderfully. Went through just under 2 bags of blue, so not too bad. Nice bark and good smoke flavor from the cherry wood used. Success! Now hopefully I will have enough food for the party!!!

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 11.5.jpg
    11.5.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 28
Looking great, best thing I bought was a 5 finger shredder for my drill to pull the pork, time saver and easier to portion out when making sandwiches ,should have bought 1 years ago

Scott,
Amazing job, I am really enjoying just getting to being part of this thread and your journey, the pork looks amazing, that bark, oh yeah that is done right. Get some rest, then it is time to start prepping for tomorrow!!! Can't wait to see and here how tomorrow goes!

Thanks again. Went well. Only thing going on today is getting gator in the brine and prepping the pork belly. Speaking of that, any suggestions on the belly? I'd like a nice sweet/spicy end result and trying to decide if I will shred it or dice it like burnt ends. Leaning toward dicing as I've got lots of pulled pork...

Thanks again. Went well. Only thing going on today is getting gator in the brine and prepping the pork belly. Speaking of that, any suggestions on the belly? I'd like a nice sweet/spicy end result and trying to decide if I will shred it or dice it like burnt ends. Leaning toward dicing as I've got lots of pulled pork...
Pork Belly Burnt End Cubes sounds like the perfect plan to pair perfect with everything else you are doing!

So I borrowed this smoker,,, for some reason I thought it was an offset, but turns out to be an oil tanker.! It has charcoal bins on both sides. I'm trying to figure out if I should run both sides, one side or do indirect and have the gator on other end of heat. Anybody use these things before???

I'm going to give it a little test run tonight and see if I can control this beast.

I followed this recipe for pork belly burnt ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the gator in the brine and did a test run on a couple chickens with the mystery smoker. Went good, but it needs a lot of babysitting. Runs cooler that I figured which is better than hotter... I'm going with the meat church method of burnt ends. very similar to above I think.

Tomorrow we will see if I can pull this off and smoke a dinosaur...

Attachments

• gator 1.jpg
    gator 1.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 38
  • gator 2.jpg
    gator 2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 37
  • yardbird.jpg
    yardbird.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 37
Scott
I’m looking forward to your gator cook! Please post lots of pictures.
Don’t forget to eat the jaw meat, it’s delicious.
Cheers

Saturday went off without much of a hitch! Prepped the gator by cleaning out fat deposits in tail and cavity, stuffed tail with pork and jalapeno boudin, cream cheese and bacon. I then covered it with a pork rub and bbq rub, went on the smoker at noon and hit 165 at 5:30. Slathered with BBQ sauce and then a redneck brûlée, by hitting it with weed burner to caramelize. People ate it as fast as I could cut it up and not a single person said it was anything but excellent! Even the ones that I didn't think would touch it, loved it. I would say the tail is closest to pork tenderloin.

Also did pork belly burnt ends that were outstanding as well, starting at 1:00 and done at 4:30. They were also devoured in short order.

The pulled pork that I made on Thursday reheated perfectly and about 2/3rds of the 8 butts that I made was eaten. So lots of leftovers!

The minor hitches... The smoker that I borrowed was a pain keeping it near the 275 range I was targeting. Real easy to hit +350 very fast and would drop like a stone when fuel got low. There was no adjustable damper or vents! There were 2 grease drains on the bottom, so I regulated that by stuffing tinfoil in those and had to plug other gaps with tinfoil as well. I put lit charcoal in the 4 corners and had a chimney ready to go to add fuel when needed. It worked fine, just a lot of babysitting. The other hitch was I used the WSM to do the burnt ends and I had the water pan drop, putting out most of my coals... Half hour PITA...

Other than those 2 little issues everything turned out great! Thanks for the advise and well wishes from everyone!

BTW, got the gator and boudin from LA Crawfish. I've gotten crawfish from them many times before. Unfortunately the WDNR will not allow shipping of live mudbugs to Wisconsin anymore...

Gator Fat.jpgGator fat 2.jpgGator 1.jpgGator 2.jpgBurnt Ends 1.jpgBurnt Ends 2.jpg

Back