70th Birthday Cook

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Sunday I got up at 4:00 AM to get the fire going and the meat on. I had injected and rubbed (Chris Lilly's recipes - modified a tad) the 8.5 Lb. Boston Butt the night before. It had been in the freezer for 2 months and after 6 full days in the refrigerator it was still 29°F in the center. Interesting but no problem. I used Stubbs Briquettes for the first time and I was pleased with their performance. Using about 1/3 chimney of hot coals and 5 chunks of Oak wood I got the meat on at 4:45 AM. I started my cooking log and noticed that this was my thirteenth cook on my WSM. Since 13 is my lucky number I was feeling confident.

The cooker temp quickly rose to 250° and I throttled back. I was using a terra cotta saucer instead of water to cook at 250-275° and finish about 3 PM. Soon I had all bottom vents closed with the temp at 280° and the WSM cruising with the top vent open 50%. I didn't get any foul taste on the meat but I wasn't closing the top more than 50%. I foiled at 176° internal temp and started probing at 190°. At 3:15 PM the meat was probe tender and it went into a cooler full of towels. I transferred some of the hot coals to my Kettle and baked the beans for about 2 hours. At 6:00 PM I pulled it. We served pulled pork, baked beans, my wife's Potato Salad, and her coleslaw. No one left hungry and the pork was a hit. I definitely have my go to, for now, recipes for pulled pork.

I normally tell everyone that I don't want them giving me presents but my bride ignored that this year. She bought me an Auber temp. controller and I'm not sending that back. My younger brother in Fenton Mo. had a banner made up and friends and family in the St. Louis area signed it. He then sent it to my wife and friends and family in this area signed it. The banner was draped from the mantle when I got up.

Since this is TVWBB and pictures are required. That's how my day went and I had my first stress free cook on the WSM.
My son-in-law looked at my cooking log and was amazed at how steady the WSM held temperature. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Lew

Glad you had a fun, stress free time on your birthday with your family and that food looks "laripin" (Ozark word for excellent food). I'm only 4 years behind you but, hey, it's just a number.

Scotty W.

Happy Birthday Lew! That meal looks amazing! My 50th birthday was thursday,the 1st. Ain't September birthdays great! Not too hot,and not too cold either!

That what it always seems like I do on my birthday. I usually cook for everyone that is wishing me a Happy Birthday. I like at least you know what you are going to have for dinner. Happy Birthday Lew Great looking PP too.

Hey Scotty. I understand "laripin" but I haven't heard it in decades. I was born in Dixon, Mo. If you're in the Buckhorn that's in Pulaski County and know someone named Perkins they are very likely relatives of mine.

Phil, yesterday the weather was perfect to cook outside under a canopy. Light wind all day and a high of 86°. Today is sweltering.

Sorry Lew, but if you're a day over 60 I'm needin' ID...

Great birthday though! The pics are great!

I never figured it out until now, but I'll be 60 on 12/12/12... guess I'll have to post pics
icon_wink.gif

Back