6 Butt Cook

Mike May

TVWBB Member
I am supplying pulled pork for competitors at a rifle match next weekend - Never tried to cook more than a butt and a brisket before.

Butts%20after%20rub%20applied-M.jpg

6 butts, rubbed and ready - I used a rub that came from Sam's Club BBQ Tour.

Rubbed%20Butts%20on%20the%20Grill-M.jpg

10pm, butts on the WSM.

Butts%20on%20the%20grill-M.jpg

11am - butts are nicely carmelized, continuing to cook.

Butts%20after%2011%20hours-M.jpg

12:30 butts ready for foiling (I don't normally foil, so this is a first).

After%20foiling%20-%2014%20hours-M.jpg

3pm - after resting for an hour, butts ready for pulling.

Sandwiches%20with%20coleslaw-M.jpg

Final result - too bad this forum doesn't have Taste o matic.

All in all, this was a lot of work, I'm hoping the guys next week appreciate it. I took me almost 2 hours to pull the pork, put it into foodsaver bags and cool them in ice water - then I sealed them up and put them in a refrigerator.

Next week, my plan is to make more coleslaw, put the pork in my oven at 170°F for a couple of hours - then put everything in separate coolers and head to the range - an hour away. I'll also have a pot, water and a burner so that if I have to heat the pork up, I can.

I did pulled pork for a birthday party an reheated the following day. Took over an hour to heat up three 10 pound trays of pulled in an oven at 250.

let us know how the re-heat went, I'm always curious about that. and if you're shooting good luck and post some pics!

let us know how the re-heat went, I'm always curious about that. and if you're shooting good luck and post some pics!

I was thinking about heating the meat in the food saver bags in the oven - I'm a plastics guy and THINK that they'd be OK at 170°, but after doing some looking on the web - can't find anyone who had done that. So, I think I'll borrow a turkey frying pot, fill it with water and heat my pork bundles that way. I've got 3 foodsaver bags with about 8lb each.

As far as shooting - haven't shot any matches for a while - but I run them and in this case am cooking for after the match.

Amazing cook, and I can definitely appreciate your effort. I haven't done anything as big as an 8lb bag, but my 2 lb bags do better in hot water than the do In the oven. YMMV

Back