5lb Pork Leg Roast in my "Homemade Weber" ;-)

Luke P

TVWBB All-Star
Just spent the last week in Cape Hatteras, NC. My wife was in her bestfriend's wedding, and the week was full of bonfires, crabfeasts, cookouts, beach trips, and other shenanigans. I was asked to cook a dish for a gathering, and was honored to bring down some delicious pork. I assessed the resources available, and this is what I did.

5lb leg roast with all fat and skin on for moisture while it cooked.
0B308547-FD87-4B4B-AA84-F601D0863AA5_zpspff5y6e1.jpg

Ive trimmed skin previously, but will always roast/smoke with skin and fat on. It kept everything moist despite non-ideal grill.
Coated with a previously made rub. Paprika, lots of pepper, garlic, salt, little cayenne, and whatever else I grabbed. Made it before the trip to travel easier, and wasnt measuring anything out as I went.

Each house had a "picnic grill", and I made the best of it. My "water pan" was full of beer. My "minion method" was just a chimney of lit coals on top of a chimney of unlit coals around outside of grill. My lid was layers of tin foil, and no wood for smoke. about 4 hours in there and foiled for another 45 in a warmed oven til closer to dinner time.

16E8F668-BD71-40D2-8BD6-F5ABD90E6B31_zpsjvbabzag.jpg

See....it's authentic Weber! ;-)
97308648-A3DB-4232-9DEA-5DAE25C2095A_zpsjyzkbvj0.jpg

B59F5A67-AC03-40C4-B3BF-087E3B2C9293_zpsjyivyguc.jpg

242C9965-9E7E-4CEB-97DE-CE625AA994E5_zpsfq8f8guh.jpg

57D16FEA-8577-49C2-BCE2-C8728017F3FC_zpsxicho3pk.jpg

My view while she cooked. Doesnt really matter what the food tastes like when this is your view.
946039BE-A16A-41E1-9C66-3DC1832DE65F_zpshckv5uqk.jpg

Cocktail of choice all week.
96707C93-8480-472E-99DB-5DD4150E3C36_zpsijfzgjwc.jpg

Ironically, when we got to the main house hosting the shindig....
BE1EAC37-15A4-4739-9267-F3019A4DD405_zpsvetxtl0b.jpg

All in all, it turned out delicious and my way was a lot more fun to figure out. The pork was gone in about 15 minutes. Very flattered by compliments I got from friends and strangers. Cheers!

Last edited:
Luke, that's awesome! Great job of jerry-rigging, there! Looks like it turned out some great grub as well, and if you met some folks in the process, then I'd say "mission accomplished!" ;)

Rich

I've used the same method when cooking country style pork ribs on a park style grill. Came out great!

Luke, one of my 'measures of a grillmaster' is the ability to adapt to the situation and put out good food with the tools at hand. Your cook proves you are up to the challenge. Great job!

Regards,

John

Very creative I would have never thought that would work so well.

Thanks Rich, neither did I. I figured...it'll cook one way or another, just not sure how good it'll be. I think the beer "water pan" made the difference. It was steaming/smoking the whole time.

Luke, one of my 'measures of a grillmaster' is the ability to adapt to the situation and put out good food with the tools at hand. Your cook proves you are up to the challenge. Great job!

Regards,

John

Kind words, John. Thank you. The very first day there my wife saw that grill, and knew I was already working out how to do it. She laughed at me when she came outside and saw me staring at it with a beer in hand. Planning it out was half the fun.

More evidence that it isn't the cooker, it's the chef. You should be really proud of that one. Those 'picnic' grills ain't easy, and you nailed it like it was your job.

Back