4# flap carne asada

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Haven’t had a legit street taco in many weeks. So, time to solve my own problem.

Defrosted this as part of the freezer purge we’re in.

Costco’s finest flap steak. I buy them in cryovac bulk and then slightly trim and pack them to cook size portions.

1679853735362.jpeg

1679853762847.jpeg

This will be for dinner tonight. So I think.

I’m ready, can I bring anything with me?
I’m overly interested in this cook as we make flank tacos all the time.
I have about 3 skirts I still need to get over it and use one of those instead.

I’m ready, can I bring anything with me?
I’m overly interested in this cook as we make flank tacos all the time.
I have about 3 skirts I still need to get over it and use one of those instead.
This was a “usual” marinade.

SPOG (granulated on O G), cumin, chili powder, frozen pineapple concentrate, cooking oil, oregano, water. Mixed in a workbowl and then bagged and fridged for 6 hours.

Will cook this over the leftover coals from the Cuban porkie that’s roasting now.

Might thrown in an oak chunk when the cook time comes for real wood flavor.

My flank cooks in about 5 to 10 minutes….I really cannot remember all I know is I go offset for about 10 minutes, look for about 90 degrees and then hit with really hot flames and turn lots…..works out every time. I have never found time for wood taste but try to add raw charcoal to the top of the fire for some jealous devil flavour.

This was a “usual” marinade.

SPOG (granulated on O G), cumin, chili powder, frozen pineapple concentrate, cooking oil, oregano, water. Mixed in a workbowl and then bagged and fridged for 6 hours.

Will cook this over the leftover coals from the Cuban porkie that’s roasting now.

Might thrown in an oak chunk when the cook time comes for real wood flavor.
I will be trying this recipe soon. How do you make your beans?

I will be trying this recipe soon. How do you make your beans?
black beans, old school.

dried black beans, say 2-3 cups.
boil a bunch of water, 10x the amount of beans.
once the water is boiled, drop in the dry beans, remove from heat and cover for 2 hours.
after 2 hours, triple rinse the beans. this step de-gasses them. yup that bean water is f@rt water.
once rinsed, fill pot of beans until the water covers the beans and then add 1/2" water above that.
bring to a boil. once boiled, simmer for 45 mins till one hour until soft.
soft means you can put a bean in you mouth and crush the bean using your tongue to push the bean to the roof of your mouth. it's okay if the beans still have some texture. they should have an even texture, not crunchy.
season with SPOG, chili powder optional, cumin and fresh lime juice or ACV. adjust seasoning to your desired profile.
stir to incorporate.
if you like a thicker bean stew, smash one cups worth and incorporate back into the bean water and mix. this will thicken up the beans.

Those tacos look delicious. I really enjoy the flavor of a green tomatillo salsa over the heat of a red chile de arbol salsa.
i do make it both ways. fire hot and this one, smooth and tasty.

this one had:
4 tomatillos
1 roma tomato
5 garlic cloves
1/4 medium yellow onion
1 jalapeno
salt

wash and rinse all ingredients.
place in a cook pot
cover with enough water to submerge the tomatillos
bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 mins
place solids into blender and half the cooking water
whirl till completely smooth
add juice of two limes, then mix

taste for salt, adjust if needed.

you can add chopped cilantro to the finished salsa. it adds a nice flavor. i was out of fresh cilantro so we didn't have any for this version.

this is a very mild version. no noticeable heat but lots of flavor. it went very well with both the cubano pork and the carne asada tacos.

salsa will last around a week in the fridge.

Last edited:
Brett, we were going along so well then, you said “Coors LIGHT?!”
yup, it's a west coast thing. i just don't want all those liquid calories. i can have three of them and still get the job done at home. no time for naps when doing 8-9 hour cooks and making sides and more. i have plenty of other leaded drinks you can enjoy. plenty of MX beers to choose from in the drinks fridge and wine fridge.

yup, it's a west coast thing. i just don't want all those liquid calories. i can have three of them and still get the job done at home. no time for naps when doing 8-9 hour cooks and making sides and more. i have plenty of other leaded drinks you can enjoy. plenty of MX beers to choose from in the drinks fridge and wine fridge.
Wellllllll, okay, maybe….

Back