4 Butts

ChrisMoorer

Ill be smoking four butts on my WSM this next weekend but have never done more than two at once. Should I expect a longer cook due to the additional meat?!

Ill be going with the always crowd pleasing Mr Brown rub!

You should be just fine. If you have a multi probe therm, use that. Will you be doing 2 on top and 2 on bottom grates? If so it would be a good idea to have a temp probe in a butt on lower and temp probe in a butt on top level of smoker. Which smoker are you using. You should be just fine, just have fun doing it.

Ill be smoking four butts on my WSM this next weekend but have never done more than two at once. Should I expect a longer cook due to the additional meat?!

Ill be going with the always crowd pleasing Mr Brown rub!

Just my opinion, but you can get more heat by shifting the door to the side. I smoked 30 lbs of butts recently on my 18" WSM, and it took about 10 hours for the meat to reach 205°. I had all vents wide open and used the water pan (filled) too...

0830161621-00.jpg

I also used a combination of Royal Oak briquettes and Royal Oak lump (mostly lump).

Rusty,

Please share a little more info of your recent cook.

Smoker temp, did you wrap, etc....

Any pics?

TY!!!

Chris,

Let us know how the cook goes!!! Definitely want a temp probe for the butts on each level.

Good luck!!

I am still getting the hang of my cooker and have done about 10 cooks so far. This weekend I did two 10 pound picnic shoulders, one on each grate of my 18.5", and they cooked between 225-250 from 9 pm or so Friday night until almost 11:30 am Saturday. I started freaking out a bit thinking I was overcooking them, but waited until they were probe tender which turned out to be at about 193. I am learning that it's true that "bbq is done when it's done".

Good luck with your smoke!

Rusty,

Please share a little more info of your recent cook.

Smoker temp, did you wrap, etc....

Any pics?

TY!!!

I try to keep my smoker temp between 250 and 275 (or slightly higher), and I did not wrap (never have). I also do not use a rub of any kind in keeping with true Carolina BBQ tradition, but that is irrelevant for smoking times.

I used briquettes and lump together due to past problems with creosote (white billowy smoke). I placed three large chunks of hickory on a bare grate surrounded by a layer of briquettes (this method helps to fill gaps so small chunks of lump don't fall through so easily). I filled the rest of the ring with lump until heaping, and then I lit a small chimney load of briquettes and poured them on top. I left the side door off for a few minutes so heat would build up quicker.

For what it's worth, I purchased a Brinkmann charcoal pan from Academy Sports for $5.00 to replace the 18" Weber water pan (or should I say bowl?), and that gave me more room for charcoal. This setup gave me at least eight hours of smoking time, and I added more lump after stirring the coals at the eight hour mark. A lot of folks reduce air intake by adjusting the bottom vents, but I like to get as much heat as possible, so that is the reason I leave mine 100% open - including shifting the door sideways. Cocking the lid to the side just a bit helps to raise smoker temps as well during the last few hours.

None of this stuff is set in stone, so your mileage may vary, but experience under the belt will be your best teacher.

No pictures, but friends & family said this was my best pork shoulder yet, and it was bordering on restaurant quality. On my next attempt, I may burn a log or two of hickory ahead of time and use the coal bed for a starter.

Appreciate the feedback fellas. I'd expect to go two butts on the top and two on the bottom. I'm smoking on a WSM 22.5 but I don't think it will take four 12pounders, without touching each other, on the top level. That sounds like it would cause areas of bark to not get charred evenly like the rest of the butt...Any thoughts?

Good idea to have a Maverick probe in a butt on both levels.

Here's my Butt cooking method, an opinion column really, if you’re interested.

Rub of choice, a few hours ahead of time. I mentioned that I’ll go with Mr. Brown for this smoke.

Minion Method with a charcoal chamber full of Kingsford and 6 or 7 tennis ball sized chucks of Hickory stashed throughout the top half of my charcoal.

Here's my take on the Minion Method, Kingsford and Hickory...
The Minion Method allows me to bring the temp up slowly then hold it easily at my desired range of 225-250. The slow charcoal lighting process that's caused by the Minion Method maximizes the long burn time of Kingsford brand charcoal, which has always out lasted every other brand I've tried. I can take a full chamber Kingsford upwards of 20 hrs at 225, no refueling. As for the Hickory, it’s a staple of Alabama BBQ and I think my taste buds are a product of that. I was on the back roads in Florida this past spring and turned around shortly after passing a BBQ stand. The smell got to me and I had to stop for a bite. The BBQ was good, not great. It had all the signs of delicious Q: smell, flavorful bark, smoke ring, moist, long and stringy...all the usual suspects, but something was just a little off. The guy on the smoker told me they use Oak wood in FL; that they don’t have Hickory down there and it's too expensive to buy from Alabama. I guess that’s when I decided that I’m a Hickory guy, so I tend to use it as my primary wood for pork smokes. For me, Hickory provides a deeper smoky and spicier flavor than other woods I’ve used. Also, I don’t have any issues with a mixture of woods, I just always like to have Hickory in the mix.

Full water pan.

I will foil the butts after about 8-10 hours once my wood chunks are about done but charcoal is still going strong. I've gone back and forth on the age old question of "To Foil or Not To Foil." I settled it one day with a two butt smoke. Same rubs, same everything, except I foiled one about half way through. The results were absolutely conclusive. The foiled butt was so much moister and the foiling didn’t compromise the integrity of the bark. I still had excellent bark that wasn't the least bit soggy. So that settled that for me, and I've been foiling ever since.

Lid vent 50% open, two bottom vents @ 25% and the third bottom vent closed will keep my WSM at 225-250 for what seems like days.

I tend to pull butts off at 195 (usually 14ish hrs) and let rest, foiled, in a cooler for an hour or so.

I'll attach pics this weekend and we'll see how everything turns out.

Also, FYI -- I went to smoke some ribs two weeks ago and my WSM temp gage was not functioning. I called Weber customer support, relayed my problem on a WSM that's approx 2 years old and they sent a free replacement that showed up a week later. Great customer service from Weber. Has anyone else had their temp gage go out?

Sorry for the long read and Roll Tide!

Lid vent 50% open, two bottom vents @ 25% and the third bottom vent closed will keep my WSM at 225-250 for what seems like days.

Hmm...

What gave you the idea to adjust the top vent? I've heard it's best to leave it open so unburnt gases can escape.

I tend to pull butts off at 195 (usually 14ish hrs) and let rest, foiled, in a cooler for an hour or so.

I used to, but I pulled my last butts at 205°, and they were the best we've had to date.

Rusty,

TY for the reply!!! I had always planned on ordering the brinkman charcoal pan, just never did. Now they are out of business.... Maybe I will get lucky and find one for a decent price still.

Chris,

Not sure if it will work, but when I had 3- ~9lb butts on the top rack of my 18", I would have tried using a set of metal skewers to keep the butts seperated a little. I forgot where they were in the camping trailer until a few hours into the smoke.....

TY to both Rusty and Chris for the tips!!! Even though I have owned the WSM for 3yrs, I am always looking for ways to improve the cooks.

Another reason I inverted the door was to cut down on escaping heat. My arrangement almost eliminates escaping air at the top of the door opening.

Dog leg latch? I missed that one.

OK, I get it now. I must have been brain dead at the time.

Last edited:
Kind of risky working with meat and with ole pooch nearby, eh?

You say you like rub on your butts, Chris? Is that the way the BBQ restaurants do it in Alabama? Does the rub take away any of the hickory flavor?

Rusty you gotta rub the butts

None of the restaurants in these parts use a rub of any kind. I tried a rub when I first joined the forum, but wasn't too crazy about it, so I stopped using it.

Now that was a year ago, so maybe I could give it another shot. You say you use something called a Mr. Brown rub? Can you post a link to the recipe?

Last edited:

Back