3 wheeler/daisy wheel weber kettle

David L in Hull

I have an old 3 vent Weber kettle I picked up a while ago and thought during lockdown I would try and have a go at a few cooks. If any one could point me in the right direction regarding vent settings for low n slow and grilling, it would be much appreciated. There seems to be lots of info on the newer style vents but none for the old timers, is it time to upgrade. Many thanks in advance Dave U.K

Hi Dave, congrats on getting a Weber kettle. Some folks like the old daisy wheel type vents better than the newer type.
Airflow is airflow no matter the vent design.
Closed down, less heat, more open, more heat. It's best to monitor with a thermometer to know where you stand.
The snake, or fuse method works well for low and slow.
Good luck!

1586442811992.png
1586442968391.png

Sorry, I've never cooked on an older one either. Might be trial and error time...if you don't want to risk wasting a good piece of meat, then just try a run of just charcoal and play around with the vents to see what it takes to get desired temps.

I think the recommendation the guy in the bbq-brethren forum makes is a good place to start and will help you achieve a nice indirect bbq effect. You can experiment, of course. A lot of people would suggest making smaller adjustments using the top cent after you are in the ballpark with you lower vent settings.

Many thanks for the links I can see there's a lot more to it then my silver B. I have had a bit of success and the chicken I cooked turned out okay but I think I have a steep learning curve ahead of me , once again thanks for the replies.

Nice find, David! All of my Weber kettles (including my 26") are TWs and I've used them a lot over the years, so here's how I like to do things:

If the coals are on just 1 side of the bowl, position them so that they're equally distributed over 2 of the vents. Adjust them equally at the start and position the lid so its vent is opposite of the coals. If one end of the coal bank seems to be burning less well than the other, open its vent up a little.

If you have 2 banks of coals, position them so that 1 vent is under the fore end (usually the handle end of the bowl) of each bank. This will cause the remaining vent to actually be between the banks at their aft ends and this vent will usually be open a little more than the other 2 because it's feeding both sides. Place the lid so its vent is directly opposite the single aft vent.

Keep a set of pliers or grill gloves handy for adjusting the bowl vents. The tabs get HOT and until you get good with the "quick nudge" method you'll want something between your skin and the metal. You'll also want an old screwdriver or metal rod for gently clearing the vents if the ash seems to be building up during a cook. And when it comes to cleaning the bowl, I open all 3 vents and use my hand to sweep out the ash but I suppose a small brush or hand broom would work just as well.

I seem to recall that Weber discontinued replacement TW bowls some years back, so treat it right and any necessary repairs are worth the expense!

Thanks Brad, will give this a go. Have joined 2 charcoal baskets together so it should sit nicely over two of the vents and give a long burn time full of fuel, I use webers own briquettes as we do not have Kingsford here in the U.K. Up until late last year the T.W Bar-B-Kettle was still available from a few big stores but they seem to have all been sold. Many thanks Dave

Back