3 racks of spares, started late, getting hungry

Taylor Moseley

TVWBB Member
I decided to try out some spares for the first time today, but I got started late. I skinned the ribs and rubbed them with Raichlen's basic BBQ rub, then smoked at 250 for 2 hours. How much can I crank it up to speed up the process and still have pretty good ribs? Start time was 4, it's 6 now, would like to eat between 7:30 and 8. Is that doable?

3 racks...?
i did one rack today at 275ºF and it was done after 5 hours.
good luck.
ya got a pizza in the freezer?

No but I did a 3 pound corned beef round with pastrami rub last night, so I gotta sandwich to eat between now and then (around 9).

I cranked up the heat some to 315, hopefully that helps things along a bit.

You can't go to bed before 11, at least. You know about the two hour rule don't you?
icon_smile.gif

I'm testing at 8, these are St. Louis cut, pretty close to 3 pounds each. If they aren't done or if they look dry it's foil and higher heat time. I have a guru and lots of charcoal so I should be able to get em done before too long.

As to whether they will be the best ribs ever, eh, i gotta give up on that for tonight. People have posted about getting good ribs in 3 hours, granted at higher temps.

Too late now but if I was shooting for 3 1/2 to 4 hour spare ribs I would cook at 300 for an 1 1/2 to 2 hours, foil for 1 1/2 hours, then finish in the last 1/2 hour.

My st louis ribs are 4 1/4 hours @ 275 always. I smoke for 3, foil for 1, and unfoil and put back in for 15 min. I did 4 slabs @ 5 lbs each on sunday and they were spectacular.

I ended up foiling these at 8:30, and testing again at 9 when one rack was just a little too tender. I sauced and finished up on the grill, and they were delicious. I had most of 2 racks left over, and I took those to work. Even re-heated in the microwave, people raved about 'em!

If I keep doing spares I might have to get a cabinet style smoker,as rolling and unrolling them was a hassle and didn't get the appearance I wanted. Maybe a 22" would be worth it, If am not cooking too many racks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">get a cabinet style smoker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_confused.gif

A 22" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker holds two large spares on top and two large spares on the bottom rack.

cabinet style smokers are ugly <span class="ev_code_GREY">imo</span>

You can buy a replacement cooking grate and turn it upside down and perpendicular to the original cooking grate and get more room for ribs. I found this tip on this site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taylor Moseley:
If I keep doing spares I might have to get a cabinet style smoker,as rolling and unrolling them was a hassle and didn't get the appearance I wanted. Maybe a 22" would be worth it, If am not cooking too many racks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taylor, you can spend as much $$ as you want on making bbq, and yes, Backwoods style smokers are superior smokers. However, as you found out with your rave reviews, you don't HAVE to spend thousands to get really good ribs. I'd try cooking half slabs in your 18.5" until your sure about how much you want to invest in your new hobby. But anyway, cooking half slabs works just fine, whether 2-3 flat on the rack or in my six-slot Charcoal Companion rib rack. Have fun with it and take your time on your bbq journey.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J.W. Hughes:
My st louis ribs are 4 1/4 hours @ 275 always. I smoke for 3, foil for 1, and unfoil and put back in for 15 min. I did 4 slabs @ 5 lbs each on sunday and they were spectacular. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that 5 lbs per rack before you trimmed them? or after?

My spares always take 5 or 6 hours without using foil. I'm going to try foiling to cut down the cook time.

Also on late rib starts, I've gotten impatient and thrown the ribs in foil with a little glaze or sauce or half ounce of apple juice and put them in the oven at 375 until tender. Not great bark but tasty and don't run out of beer and wine waiting an extra 90 minutes for ribs.
icon_smile.gif

Back