2nd smoke on 18.5 WSM - Quarter chickens

Scott Jeff

Second weekend.....second smoke. Had my sister, brother in law, and two nephews coming to the house to see our 2 month old, so figured I'd smoke some chickens. When my dad was alive, he used to always smoke chickens on his brinkman electric smoker and they always came out great. So I was hoping mine would too.

I just seasoned them few hours before I was going to put on the smoker. I actually used the same seasoning I used the weekend before on my baby backs. It actually worked out.

ch1fl.jpg

I used the minion method again, used few chunks of Apple wood, and got the smoker going. I used my Maverick thermometer that I recently purchased off of Amazon and inserted it into one of the chickens on the second rack. Thing worked great!
I put the chickens on and sat back and waited.

This smoke brought to you by No Label Brewery.....Jalapeno Ale, leave it to Texans to make a beer with Jalapenos!
ch2dg.jpg

After a little over 2 hours, I had to take a peak. They were close to the 170 temp I was looking for.
ch3y.jpg

I put some Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce on them and back on the smoker for maybe 30 more min.

The finished product...(the pic might look like they are a little burned, but they weren't)
ch4p.jpg

ch5mt.jpg

Overall was a pretty easy cook, and everyone loved the Chicken....which is always the main goal. Again any tips yall can recommend for next time are always welcome.

Next cook.....pork butt.

Overall was a pretty easy cook, and everyone loved the Chicken....which is always the main goal.

Yep, that's the primary purpose of most cooks.:cool: Meal looks great, and I love grilled corn also, never missing the chance to slap it on the grill. The biggest problem with quarters is getting the white meat overcooked before the brown is done, so I usually don't do them, just the breast for me usually;)............d

Scott, where are the other "quarter chickens"? :eek:

We call those "leg quarters", and they're really good and cheap for feeding a bunch of folks. Past time for me to smoke a couple bags, myself. If you can get by with one grate you might try leaving out the pan so you can get crisp skin, but for a big cook where I need both grates, I find that a long buttermilk brine will help the skin get more tender. I can't remember why I only had so few on the grate in this pic, but I like to fit a bunch on the 18.5" grates sort of like this:
DF33585A-080A-48D7-8B4C-4C88E340813F-841-000000E7631D6E38_zps6525ece8.jpg

Second weekend.....second smoke. Had my sister, brother in law, and two nephews coming to the house to see our 2 month old, so figured I'd smoke some chickens. When my dad was alive, he used to always smoke chickens on his brinkman electric smoker and they always came out great. So I was hoping mine would too.

I just seasoned them few hours before I was going to put on the smoker. I actually used the same seasoning I used the weekend before on my baby backs. It actually worked out.

Overall was a pretty easy cook, and everyone loved the Chicken....which is always the main goal. Again any tips yall can recommend for next time are always welcome.

Next cook.....pork butt.

Any idea what the temp was at the grill or the vent?

Try foil only on the water pan and get temp up to 300. They will cook faster and skin will be crispier. At least that's how they turn out for me. By the way nice job with the chicken. Love the corn :)

Back