2nd generation Weber Summit charcoal

Interesting thoughts from the Weber VP on the changes. I’d be interested in getting a better look at the new diffuser plate. I have the first generation with the hinged diffuser. Never have used it to add more coals in fact I keep mine foiled to reduce the junk where the drip pan misses. Any way you could share a picture? Thanks
Hey @Dustin Flavell , I went and snapped a pic of it for you. It even has somewhat of a "bowl" so that if you foiled it it would collect grease in it. Not knocking the old one, but I don't see this one as a step down . Its a piece of stainless, and I could venture it might last a long time in the absence of hinges to break down.

Right side up
1609625809738.png

Upside down
1609625825592.png

Hey @Dustin Flavell , I went and snapped a pic of it for you. It even has somewhat of a "bowl" so that if you foiled it it would collect grease in it. Not knocking the old one, but I don't see this one as a step down . Its a piece of stainless, and I could venture it might last a long time in the absence of hinges to break down.

Right side up
View attachment 20530

Upside down
View attachment 20531
Thanks for the Pictures John I appreciate it. Huge difference from the hinged version. Mine does not have the lip or the holes around it. Also no handles. I might need to see about getting this updated diffuser plate from Weber. Thanks again for the pictures.

Thanks for the Pictures John I appreciate it. Huge difference from the hinged version. Mine does not have the lip or the holes around it. Also no handles. I might need to see about getting this updated diffuser plate from Weber. Thanks again for the pictures.
No problem at all. It would interesting to try both to see if there is a difference. I’m not sure there would be for the way I am using the cooker. The way that the indirect piece is relatively far from the cooking grid probably negates any design differences between the two.

I've been checking the Weber.com site occasionally hoping to see new photo's of the E6 with the changes that were announced but so far nothing has changed yet.
On the Dutch Weber site it also shows the 'old' E6 photo's so I guess I'll have to wait ( impatiently ;-) )....

I feel you @Ruud Kok. I've been chomping at the bit to get an S6 and still "Coming Soon" on the Canadian Weber site... Rarely been so anxious to purchase an "appliance". I've already got a brisket trimmed, seasoned, and sitting in the freezer waiting!!

Hi guys,

I'll have an update on my new unit next week.
@RMiles , did they contact you about the new one being sent to you? I have talked to the weber rep (don't want to drop his name on the internet), and he has been really cool about it, but I have not heard an update from him since our chat before Christmas. No anxious or anything, the wobbler is an awesome cooker, and I used it again tonight where it was amazing. In the meantime I did order a smokefire ex4 that arrives next monday, so I am pretty excited to test it out.

@RMiles , did they contact you about the new one being sent to you? I have talked to the weber rep (don't want to drop his name on the internet), and he has been really cool about it, but I have not heard an update from him since our chat before Christmas. No anxious or anything, the wobbler is an awesome cooker, and I used it again tonight where it was amazing. In the meantime I did order a smokefire ex4 that arrives next monday, so I am pretty excited to test it out.
"The wobbler" :ROFLMAO:(y)

It seems that the Weber site has been updated with new pictures.
18201001BBR_1800x1800-REV.png

Yup it looks like they went back to the stronger triangle at the bottom which I believe the original had which is kind of funny since they already had that design to begin with. It was strictly a cost cutting move which cost them more money since they had to call those back and go back to the original design regarding the frame.

Received my new E6 that has been updated. Its awesome, rock solid. It completely changes the grill compared the first one that I received. View attachment 22189
If a grill is a work of art that thing certainly is could I ask you since you have had it for awhile waiting for the updated base are you happy with the smoking aspect of it. I probably do ribs maybe 6-7 times a year at 275, chicken wings I do on the performer so indirect not smoked run it at 350 or so I do throw some chips in the baskets. This looks to be something that I could get rid of my UDS smoker sell the performer and eliminates 1 grill the gasser stays forever.

I’m not going to lie. The E6 is on my radar. I’m just worried I won’t have a use for my Genesis anymore. I’m kind of glad it doesn’t have that snap jet lighter on the side. $500 less without it and my $14 chimney starter would work just as well. They’re not available locally yet, but she sure is a thing of beauty.

If a grill is a work of art that thing certainly is could I ask you since you have had it for awhile waiting for the updated base are you happy with the smoking aspect of it. I probably do ribs maybe 6-7 times a year at 275, chicken wings I do on the performer so indirect not smoked run it at 350 or so I do throw some chips in the baskets. This looks to be something that I could get rid of my UDS smoker sell the performer and eliminates 1 grill the gasser stays forever.
I love it. I used the first one I received for more than a month and it’s a true kamado. I have not smoked on it yet, but I feel it would work just like the XL big green egg.

In my BBQ Arsenal I presently have a Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD), WSM 18" "Classic" and Weber Smoky Joe; so, any ideas how to convince the "better half" the need for another charcoal grill like this "beauty"????

So, the E6 being a "want" and not a "need"; I am personally not in the financial position to justify paying(on-a-one-time-basis) one-thousand($1,000) Plus dollars for any type of charcoal grill. Over these past many years I have shelled-out at least five thousand($5,000) dollars for the privileged enjoyment of this BBQ Sport but the most that I spent at one time was $550 for a new Weber Performer Deluxe which was purchased new in January, 2020 here in Costa Rica.

My wife and I BOTH feel this was money well-spent as the WPD has produced some very tasty "eats" over this last year! That Propane Gas Assist and Metal Table really is a winner over the Weber Mastertouch that I gifted to a good friend and neighbor.

Also, I recall some Harry Soo Videos is which he takes the strong position that a Efficient BBQ Cooker can produce good BBQ Eats on almost any type of BBQ Equipment. However, Don't we love our "Toys"!

Last edited:
In my BBQ Arsenal I presently have a Weber Performer Deluxe, WSM 18" "Classic" and Weber Smoky Joe; so, any ideas how to convince the "better half" the need for another charcoal grill like this "beauty"????

So, the E6 being a "want" and not a "need"; I am personally not in the financial position to justify paying(on-a-one-time-basis) one-thousand($1,000) Plus dollars for any type of charcoal grill. Over these past many years I have shelled-out at least five thousand($5,000) dollars for the privileged enjoyment of this BBQ Sport but the most that I spent at one time was $550 for a new Weber Performer Deluxe which was purchased new in January, 2020 here in Costa Rica.
For my situation, I have too many grills. I got approval through the sale of two large eggs, two kamado joe jrs, and one 26” kettle. That funded the purchase of this grill and a smokefire while they were on sale. But the money was secondary to clearing some space for them. I still have too many grills, but this exchange made it palatable for my wife to deal with.

Since I got my WSCG, I've said it will be the last grill I part with. I also have a SmokeFire that I'm on the fence about (it cooks good, but tired of all the quirks/moodiness every time they update app, software, and/or firmware). When I want to make something really special I fire up the WSCG. I did a 15/lb SRF Gold Wagyu Brisket on it at Christmas, it ran all night in the cold with no refueling needed and turned out amazing. I use a pellet grill more just for the ease/time savings, but if I planned ahead a little better than I do, the WSCG is really not much more work, just a little more wait to get to temps and produces better end results. The WSCG is awesome, but I sadly only probably use it 1-2 times a month.

I also modified a Kamado Joe Rotisserie setup for their Jumbo Joe to work on it, lucked out and found a SnS Low Profile overseas, bought a vortex, etc. With a few gadgets, the WSCG/Kamado can do everything, though the SnS is absolutely not needed of those I bought (and paid too much having it shipped across the Atlantic). Great smoker, great grill, and many say a great pizza oven too. Great exactly how you get it without anything else, but fun to add those things too. Charcoal isn't generally expensive, but if you cook with it a lot and especially if you do long smokes in cold weather, the WSCG/Kamado is going to save you a lot of coals helping offset a small portion of the cost.

Last edited:
. The WSCG is awesome, but I sadly only probably use it 1-2 times a month.

I
Most Probably due to the Physical Effort to set-up any type of Charcoal Grill. This is the reason I am thinking of purchasing my first "gasser" to sit-along side my Weber Performer Deluxe when I feel "pooped-out" but hungry for some BBQ.

Back