2nd generation Weber Summit charcoal

I'm hoping that maybe they got consumer feedback that the diffuser holder wasn't being used much, so they decided to delete it. It is (was) in an awkward spot, so what if most people just placed it on the grate underneath the ash catcher anyway? Deleting the charcoal bin is kinda weak, though...

I am ok with the diffuser plate and rack delete as long as they make it available for a reasonable price. Would be nice if it fits in the 22 as well. Will most certainly fit in the 26er. The reasonable price is the big kicker. I don't have a problem splitting things up so I can pick and choose the features I want at purchase. It might make it easier to purchase on the front side at least. Where BGE gets it wrong is they will charge $40 for a pair of casters that are made with standard or inferior materials. I mean I can pay for super heavy duty casters that are all stainless steel that will never scratch or rust for that kind of money.

Charcoal bin isn't a killer to the deal though. In all honesty I like having the lower shelf free for storage when it comes to accessories/rings so they stay out of the weather under cover and I am not carting them back and forth to the kettle and storage space. You can always store charcoal in a plastic tote anywhere on the deck/patio. I have even thought about removing the charcoal bin on my performer at times.

I don’t see how it would be possible to leave off the diffuser. I don’t know how you’d smoke on it without it.
Well the whole point for me to buy one of those grills is to use it as a smoker also and get rid of my smoker so 2 grills down to 1. If I got to spend a grand then buy a diffuser really does not make any sense to me I would stay with my UDS and Performer.

But, here's what I keep coming back to. What can a $1000 Summit Charcoal or $1200+ BGE do that a Weber Kettle (~$100) and a 18 WSM (~$300) combo can't do? In fact, a case can be made that the Kettle alone can do everything a kamado can do.
Mike; Somewhere I read "it is not the cooker but who's cooking"! However, we sure like our BBQ Toys(don’t we?)but don't see me parting with my Weber Performer Deluxe and WSM 18" Classic anytime soon as it presently meets my BBQ And Grilling Needs.

In fact, I cooked-up some very fine eats for our Dog "Manchas"(11 years old) and I on my mini Weber Smoky Joe fitted with custom Grill Grates pictured below when the wife is away. :smokeyjoe:

My Next BBQ Toy will probably a Weber Summit Gas Grill as soon as my Charcoal Cooking Days are over due to age factor.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Just a FYI for anyone that was wanting the older model. Weber.com has some of the grilling center models back in stock. However, it does say low stock. These have been out of stock for at least 2 months on the site.

I came across this site which shows the Summit Charcoal without firebox.

The images of the Grilling Center also show no gas ignition.
No idea if this is the 2nd generation or if these are just different models specific to Australia.

Last edited:
Hi I'm new here. Read the entire thread. Saw mid November mentioned. Is that the date an announcement will be made or when it will go on sale? I'm going to sell my entire collection for it!

Hi I'm new here. Read the entire thread. Saw mid November mentioned. Is that the date an announcement will be made or when it will go on sale? I'm going to sell my entire collection for it!
Haven't heard of a specific date, but mid-November sounds about right. Just before the holiday season.

I've thought about selling my grills to buy "the one"....one grill that can replace them all, but I would likely end up just buying more after buying the one anyways.

Haven't heard of a specific date, but mid-November sounds about right. Just before the holiday season.

I've thought about selling my grills to buy "the one"....one grill that can replace them all, but I would likely end up just buying more after buying the one anyways.
Yes those new colors, gotta have them, even if I'm set LOL

Which variant are you planning to buy, the one with or without the cart? The one with the cart will not be that much different and will still include the gas ignitor.

At this point I'd be content with just the dome, bowl, and internal components. Let me build my own table - drop it in. Keep the cheap tripod.

#done
#forever
#dreamcharcoalsetup

:cool:

They are actually on the Weber site now. I was hoping the cart model was $1,499. I think the current cart model for $1,999 is maybe a better buy than this new one for $1,799 just because it is rumored the new one won't come with the diffuser or charcoal bin.

Yeah the fact that the diffuser plate isn’t mentioned makes it appear it won’t be included. I wonder if it will be sold separately or if it will have the cheaper single layered diffuser form the new master touches. Like you said, I’m happy i paid the few hundred more dollars for the older version.

Back