225...250...275???

Ryan P.K.

TVWBB Pro
I have been reading a lot post over the years on this forum. I want to know why you smoke at the temp you do. I know that some delicate items you smoke at different temp, but what temp do you usually smoke at? Why??? Flavor, smoke ring, taste, time, why??

I smoke pretty much everything at 275. For me, things just taste better, and look lot better at that temp. I can hold a 275 temp better. I just feel smoking at a lower temp equal’s tougher meat. I hope that I did not open up a can worms here, but if I did!! This is just my .02!!

225 for,low,and slow, 325 for high heat. These are just targets, I don't really sweat it if a low and slow cook is running +-'25 or so.

275 is a little hot for low and slow, but when in a hurry I might finish at that temp, after I push smoke at a lower temp for a few hours, but for pork butt and brisket they always seem a tiny bit tougher and drier when I finish them at the higher temp.

I target 230-240 for my low & slow. It gets things done a little faster than 225 but still keeps the meat super moist and tender.

I tried a 275 cook and didn't like the result.

If you found that lower temp = tougher meat, I suspect you may not have cooked the meat long enough. Typically the lower you go, the more tender the final product at the expense of more time to cook it.

For me, 225 is too low while doing pork butt (what I smoke the most) while trying to get an internal temp of 190/195. Harry Soo says 275 renders the fat better and I tend to agree. The lid thermometer is 50 degrees cooler on my WSM compared to the et-732 pit probe. So it looks like I'm at 225 on the WSM :)

Ryan, pay attention to what Chad said. It is critical on these WSMs to have an approximation of the grate temps, since the dome therm doesn't measure that. It gets even more complicated when considering temps for top versus bottom grate. Each WSM has its own personality in this regard. You have to just experiment.

Personally, I like the 225-250 grate temp range for butts, 275 bb ribs.

I'd have to say 260 for an average. I try to keep it above 225 but below 270 unless I'm doing chicken. I usually just stick the probe through the top vent.

I often smoke brisket at or near 275. My reasoning? It cooks faster. The flavor/smoke ring/texture is great. I have yet to try a high-heat brisket, but probably will at some point.

250 is my target temp for everything but chicken. I like crisp skin and cook chicken about 350-375.

I smoke my ribs, briskets and pork butts @ 250. Chicken and meatloaf @ 350. The 350 for the chicken is because the skin turns out better.

as you see, folks are all over the place. as it should be. you need to find what works for you. i basically cook around the 275-350 range and i don't get to excited if it varies during the cook. its done when its done. i do agree that chicken needs to be done at a higher temp due to the skin and it can take it. i just don't have the time, patiance nor means to do a lower temp cook like 220-250.

The only difference i notice between low and slow versus high heat is there is less room for error cooking at higher heat. I myself prefer 275-325 for beef and pork, for poultry 325+.

If I do a rib roast, reverse sear at 225, I can get a roast medium rare all of the way through. Cooking the same roast at 350, I get a roast medium rare in the middle, then a section of medium and finally medium well on the outside. So, the lower you cook, the more evenly you heat the throughout. In the case of pork butt, at higher temps you'll either get meat not quite finished in the middle or meat a little overcooked on the outside. Butt :))) since butt is so forgiving, at higher temps you'll still have good eats.

I like to do pork butts, and brisket between 225-250 and ribs at 275. But I smoke things on a number of things beside my WSM and I pretty much settle on where they settle as long as it generally is anywhere around those temps if that makes sense. My mini WSM likes to run in the 225-250 range whereas the kettles like to settle in the 260-290 range. My WSM has its low and high days. Wherever they stabilize I pretty much live with rather than trying to wrestle to get them to an ideal temp.

I'm also happy with anything between 275-350, in general.
Every cooker is different and they like to settle and cruise along at certain temps. Often times I let my cooker dictate what temp to ride at.

I like to keep it around 250 for 2-3 hrs., then bump it up to 275-325.
This is for butts, ribs, and brisket.

I agree with Tony, as long as I keep it between 225-275 i'm happy and have not yet had bad results.

Back