22" kettle better for grilling than 26"?

TravisGrimm

TVWBB Member
Was wanting to get some input on that question. I have a 26" kettle currently that I am grilling on every weekend. When I bought the kettle it was mainly to smoke on and grill every now and then. Well we've figured out charcoal is where it's at for us when it comes to grilling out. But I'm wondering if it'd be smarter to pick up a 22"for grilling. It seems like I use alot of charcoal for one grilling session, and struggle to get the grill above 400° unless I use my vortex or slow and sear. But the. I lose so much grilling space for direct heat that it's not worth using either one of them. So I guess my thinking is with the smaller 22" it would get hotter with the same amount of charcoal. Is this thinking correct? Or should I just stick with the 26" And not bother with the 22?

I don't know if you seen this for comparison.

The fuel consumption rate is kind of weird from my experience between the 22 and 18 so, I would suspect that would be similar but on a greater scale in your situation. A few questions come to mind for me…
1-How many people are you grilling for when the 22 is simply too big?
2-How often are you expecting to use the 22?
3-How much space do you really need? Would an 18 do the normal load?
I figure I use 2/3 the charcoal on the 18 than I do on the 22 so, the difference doesn’t seem that big until you factor in how many times a week I only am grilling for two, that adds up.
I began my charcoal grilling journey on the 22 and I’m most comfortable with it, still on the curve with the 18. I find if I’m doing an indirect cook I like the set up with “split basket” set up. Especially when using the rotisserie!
One other consideration is that there is an incredible spread of gizmos, what nots and erstwhile stuff designed for the 22”!
the support stuff can fill a garage faster than a jackrabbit can make love!

My garage supports this statement.
While mine attempts to support the garage, it’s not quite that full….yet!
I really do need to clean and more carefully organize all the grilling accoutrements maybe shed(as in part with not, put them in a shed even though I’d like a shed) the Simpson’s Smokey Joe and revisit all the old grates and probably just ditch some. There’s too much to list that needs attention, maybe get all the grill stuff out and have a controlled burn, no, too much good stuff that needs to be cared for.

Having both 22s and a 26 inch 'flattop', I find I use a 22 more often, with the rotisserie, and including thanksgiving turkeys.
The 26 is way more useful for its extra space for things like 2 of the weber slotted grill trays with lots of my wife's garden veggies.
And as T. F. Lewis mentioned, the 22 has a whole world's worth of accessories and gadgets.
To _try_ to save floor space, I end up stacking the rotisserie ring and pizza kettle ring on top of the 22 not currently in use.

Having both 22s and a 26 inch 'flattop', I find I use a 22 more often, with the rotisserie, and including thanksgiving turkeys.
The 26 is way more useful for its extra space for things like 2 of the weber slotted grill trays with lots of my wife's garden veggies.
And as T. F. Lewis mentioned, the 22 has a whole world's worth of accessories and gadgets.
To _try_ to save floor space, I end up stacking the rotisserie ring and pizza kettle ring on top of the 22 not currently in use.
Bill, I don’t have that much flat clear space! I’m afraid the walls will start to bow out under the weight!😂
Excellent suggestion though.

Like I responded to your question last night, I’ve never had any issues getting my 26 up to temp. And that’s with the vents choked down a considerable amount. Are you having temp issues with it opened up??

Like I responded to your question last night, I’ve never had any issues getting my 26 up to temp. And that’s with the vents choked down a considerable amount. Are you having temp issues with it opened up??
Yea sorry about that. I'm not getting any notifications on here. So I thought that other post never posted. I just looked tonight and seen I had replies on this and the other one. And yea with one weber chimney full I can't hit 400 on the lid thermo. But after what I've been told on here and another website I'm pretty certain I've been waiting too long to move from the chimney to grill. I'm going to try some lump this weekend and see if that makes a difference. I appreciate all the help/advice!

A chimney is designed with the 22 inch kettle in mind I would think. You might just need a little more charcoal depending on what you are trying to do. A lot of people get hung up on that ambient temp when it comes to grilling. That's not what you need. You need radiant heat coming off the coals. 400 is plenty of temp for whatever indirect grilling you would do. You might want it hotter for chicken I guess, but 400 is still a fine cook temp.

For instance, a kamado can get up to 700 or more, but that doesn't really equate to a better sear because the coals are usually too far away, and it could cause you to overcook your interior.

A chimney is designed with the 22 inch kettle in mind I would think. You might just need a little more charcoal depending on what you are trying to do. A lot of people get hung up on that ambient temp when it comes to grilling. That's not what you need. You need radiant heat coming off the coals. 400 is plenty of temp for whatever indirect grilling you would do. You might want it hotter for chicken I guess, but 400 is still a fine cook temp.

For instance, a kamado can get up to 700 or more, but that doesn't really equate to a better sear because the coals are usually too far away, and it could cause you to overcook your interior.
This, I put down some unlit and pour my chimney on Top of that.

Depending on your cooking style, I use 2 zone for most cooks. The 26" gives you extra room to move things around. I usually cook for more than 4 people so extra room is always appreciated. For small cooks a smaller grill is probably a better way to go. Things like the Vortex or charcoal baskets are great for using less fuel and concentrating heat. I tend to use more charcoal than is needed so I have better heat control and if there is a lot left over I shut down the vents and save it for next time.

I can't get a good sear. But it seems I'm leaving it in the chimney for way too long. So this weekend I'm going to play around and see what happens

I don't know if you seen this for comparison.
That is a great chart. Thanks for linking.

I've got both. The 26er only gets used on special occasions. It definitely has a larger appetite for charcoal. That being said, we are only a family of three, and the 26er is kept in the shed while the Performer is kept on the patio.

I have a 26 that just gets used once in awhile now. My 22 was okay, but the larger grate size of the 26 is better for moving food around or keeping it warm. The trade off is more coal needed for direct cooking. 26 is also great for cooking a large turkey
on Thanksgiving.

I just added a 22". I had one last year and sold it after getting the WSC. I absolutely love the Summit Charcoal, but sometimes the ease of the smaller grill is a benefit.

Back