22.5" WSM Pork Butt

I smoke mine at what ever temp my wsm settles in somewhere around 245-265 takes about 10-11 hours. I go by probe tenderness.

What temp and length of time do people like cooking pork butts on a 22.5" WSM??

like Tony said temp wise and keep in mind that cook time varies with pork butts because of their weight and give yourself enough time,better to have the butt done early than late

I also go for 250-275* and many go for poke tenderness. I seem to never get it right when I do that. I always go for IT of 205*. Pork is forgiving so if that is a little long it doesn't hurt it. I also always plan on 90 minutes a lb. It may get done early and I just stick in a cooler with some towels and hold it till I am ready but with that I have never not had food on time.

What they said... 275ish and I figure 12 hours for a ~10 pound butt.
Ironically enough, I did a frozen one (thawed just long enough to remove the wrap) and the times were exactly the same. lol

250 degrees is what I shoot for. Last smoke of 2 pork shoulders that were 9 pounds each was 13 hours. Took them off the smoker at IT 198 and 200. Both probed well and bones pulled out easily clean. Tasted great but to be critical, the one that was 198 when it came off did not pull as easily and probably should have went back on for a little longer.

I don't fight whatever temp it settles at but 250 grate temp is pretty good for me. I also don't fight +/- 25 degree swings. That ends up pretty regularly at 1.5 hours per pound. So an ~8 lb butt is about 12 hours ish. Foil around 160-170 and pull in the 195-205 range

Do you mean Wrapped or not??????

Not. I only wrap in a pinch if cooking on a wsm.

When I mean grate temp though, I mean grate temp, like no further out than above the edge of the water pan. I've recently tried the Harry Soo method of measuring just inside the wall of the cooker in the hot zone. It works fine and temp there isn't affected by cold meat. However, 250 there doesn't mean the meat is cooking at 250. It's like measuring vent temp.

Back