22.5 vs 26.75 Kettle fuel usage

Tyson

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm looking to replace beloved my 22.5 with a 26.75 Kettle. Will I see a drastic increase in fuel usage? Anyone made this switch, please chime in.

Thank You.

I have both and don't notice a big difference at all. I use one Chiminey regardless of which one I use. The 26er will take more being bigger but you don't have to load it up with more especially if cooking indirect.

I have both and don't notice a big difference at all. I use one Chiminey regardless of which one I use. The 26er will take more being bigger but you don't have to load it up with more especially if cooking indirect.

Thanks, Dustin. I'm glad it doesn't use noticeably more fuel.

Go for it Tyson. If, I mean when, I get another kettle it will be a 26". I use both 22"s now when I have a lot to cook, but it sure would be nice to have that extra room.

You bet. I would highly recommend the 26. I have a pile of kettles and WSMs and the 26 is by far my go to for almost everything. Small cooks to small family gatherings. I smoke on it a lot too especially ribs since I can get 3 racks flat on her. I've since fixed it but my only complaint with the 26 is the wobbly tri legs. Over time especially if you move it around the dos gone thing looks like it is doing a wheelie in front. Ash sweep could be a tad longer too but that part really isn't a big deal. Get yourself a 26 you won't regret it

You bet. I would highly recommend the 26. I have a pile of kettles and WSMs and the 26 is by far my go to for almost everything. Small cooks to small family gatherings. I smoke on it a lot too especially ribs since I can get 3 racks flat on her. I've since fixed it but my only complaint with the 26 is the wobbly tri legs. Over time especially if you move it around the dos gone thing looks like it is doing a wheelie in front. Ash sweep could be a tad longer too but that part really isn't a big deal. Get yourself a 26 you won't regret it

How did you fix the legs? That is concerning.

Tyson, I cut down a ranch kettle frame and stuck my 26 in it. A few other members came up with the idea and built. Here's a link to my build. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?64026-Mini-Ranch-Kettle-build-complete Sturdy as all get out and it looks really cool too ;)

Wow that's how it should come or in the new WSCG 3 leg cart. Nice work.

I picked up a new 26 Today. It's all out together. The new leg design has tabs for the legs and they fit in a lot tighter 's my older 22. Maybe that will be enough. So far the 26 looks impressive!

Wow that's how it should come or in the new WSCG 3 leg cart. Nice work.

I picked up a new 26 Today. It's all out together. The new leg design has tabs for the legs and they fit in a lot tighter 's my older 22. Maybe that will be enough. So far the 26 looks impressive!

Inspired by Dustin's thread, I converted my brand new 26'er to a MiniRK as well. The tabs on the legs are nice, but here's a simple test. Take the lid off and set it in the bale. Grab the edge of your grill at about 9 oclock with your left hand, and 3 oclock with your right. Pushing down slightly, gently try to twist/spin the bowl an inch or so each way. You will probably find that it's a bit wobbly. Whether it's of concern to you or will cause a problem down the road is a personal decision. Me ? I built a cart for it. Oh, and as Dustin mentioned, it does look really cool :cool:

BTW, fuel usage really depends on what you are doing. If cooking direct, there's really no difference at all. Indirect will use a bit more fuel as you have a larger area to heat.

Come on, the first step in admitting you're a grillaholic is realizing you have a bag and a half habit no matter what grill you use!
I just wish I was in a situation like you, I have wanted one of those for ages, I'd build a twin to my cypress carriage for the 26! Then I might have to finish the patio deck and install a sunshade, run water, electricity sound reenforcement, recliners and maybe a hot tub.
"Hi, I'm Tim and I'm a grillaholic".
Apologies to any one that may offend.

I enjoy grilling over charcoal, so I rarely pay attention to the differences in fuel usage. I love my 26, like others have said I have a WSM and 22 in the stable and my 26 is the go to cooker. I use 1 chimney of lump or briqs for each cooking session. Depending on what I cook, sometimes the 26 has more charcoal left over after I shut the vents and sometimes the 22 does. The difference is very marginal.

About the only noticeable difference is low n slow. Using a snake or the SnS XL, it uses a little more fuel to keep the same temp, but that's just thermodynamics at work. Larger area to heat over same amount of time and same temp=more fuel.

I can promise you that you'll be so pleased with the versatility of the 26 that you'll rarely, if ever, notice the difference in fuel consumption.

Did my first cook yesterday. Smoked a pork loin with apple wood. I didn't notice any difference in fuel usage. It was easy to dial in the temp, but that's probably due to the fact that I'm used to cooking on a kettle. Loving it so far! Only compliant is I want to cook on it everyday. ;)

Last edited:

Back