2022 Kettles

Rich-revinit

I was just looking at the new kettles at Home Depot. One word...FLIMSY! Is this how all Weber kettles are made now? I hope not! Chinese garbage!

The 2022’s are no different than they’ve been for years. And what’s so flimsy about them? Because I haven’t seen it

Weber kettles are Made In the USA, not China.
Actually up the road in Huntley IL.
I have a Mastertouch new from last year. while defiantly lighter than my old ones it's not flimsy by any means.

The 2022’s are no different than they’ve been for years. And what’s so flimsy about them? Because I haven’t seen it
The ones at HD are very thin metal. Much thinner than the one I bought for my daughter 2 years ago. I have one if the old, solid as a rock kettles.

I was just looking at the new kettles at Home Depot. One word...FLIMSY! Is this how all Weber kettles are made now? I hope not! Chinese garbage!
I bought a 22" kettle in 2021 and was impressed that was at least as sturdy as the one I bought 35 years ago, and with improved features.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones at HD are very thin metal. Much thinner than the one I bought for my daughter 2 years ago. I have one if the old, solid as a rock kettles.
I don’t believe they are. I’ve got a ‘69/‘70 kettle and a brand new one and can’t say they differ much at all.

They certainly aren’t thin nor flimsy

I thought the same about the 22” that Costco is selling right now with the lid hinge. It was definitely lighter and flimsier compared to my older 22” kettles, which I confirmed when I got home.

As far as the claim ‘Made in the USA’, I am skeptical when it’s followed by ‘from globally sourced components’.

For example:
C.F. Martin Guitars produces their guitars in Nazareth, PA from ’Materials Sourced Around the World.’
In this case, Martin is referring to the raw and exotic woods that are sent to PA, where they build fantastic musical instruments. (I am aware that their lower cost guitars are made in Mexico, but they are labeled as such)

Weber, on the other hand, claims:

“Made In The Heart Of America with U.S. and globally sourced components”​

The vast majority of Weber’s components and parts are manufactured in Asia and sent here for ‘Final Assembly’. John from Weber assures us this is not the case later in this thread, and I stand humbly corrected. And when it comes to the charcoal kettles, final assembly means the parts are put in a box and it’s made in the USA when you put it together.

In all fairness, these two examples are not the same thing. One is authentically ‘Made in the USA’, and the other is not.

Last edited:

Yep I know what that means. There doesn’t have to be a work around on understanding it. That iron BSR skillet you’re cooking on from the mid ‘60s says Made in USA on the bottom. Source? America.

I thought the same about the 22” that Costco is selling right now with the lid hinge. It was definitely lighter and flimsier compared to my older 22” kettles, which I confirmed when I got home.

As far as the claim ‘Made in the USA’, I am skeptical when it’s followed by ‘from globally sourced components’.

For example:
C.F. Martin Guitars produces their guitars in Nazareth, PA from ’Materials Sourced Around the World.’
In this case, Martin is referring to the raw and exotic woods that are sent to PA, where they build fantastic musical instruments. (I am aware that their lower cost guitars are made in Mexico, but they are labeled as such)

The vast majority of Weber’s components and parts are manufactured in Asia and sent here for ‘Final Assembly’. And when it comes to the charcoal kettles, final assembly means the parts are put in a box and it’s made in the USA when you put it together.

In all fairness, these two examples are not the same thing. One is authentically ‘Made in the USA’, and the other is not.
Tell me more about the Costco kettle.

To the best of my knowledge, Weber is still stamping-out and porcelain-coating kettles in Illinois for sale here in the U.S.

The only way to objectively tell is a kettle is much thinner is to measure with a micrometer. I'm sure there are variations in thickness of stamping and porcelain coating between production runs that may account for some variations in thickness. You'd have to test a bunch of kettles to really know the answer.

I remember when the infamous made in China special edition red kettle came out a few years back, someone said, "The lid feels a lot lighter than a regular kettle lid." So I take a handheld luggage scale down to my local hardware store and weigh the red kettle lid, then weigh the lid of a three year old floor model (determined based on lid date code stamp) and the red lid weighed substantially more! Again, you'd have to weigh a lot of samples to really know the truth, but point is a person's subjective evaluation may not be really accurate when put to the test.

To the best of my knowledge, Weber is still stamping-out and porcelain-coating kettles in Illinois for sale here in the U.S.

The only way to objectively tell is a kettle is much thinner is to measure with a micrometer. I'm sure there are variations in thickness of stamping and porcelain coating between production runs that may account for some variations in thickness. You'd have to test a bunch of kettles to really know the answer.

I remember when the infamous made in China special edition red kettle came out a few years back, someone said, "The lid feels a lot lighter than a regular kettle lid." So I take a handheld luggage scale down to my local hardware store and weigh the red kettle lid, then weigh the lid of a three year old floor model (determined based on lid date code stamp) and the red lid weighs substantially more! Again, you'd have to weigh a lot of samples to really know the truth, but point is a person's subjective evaluation may not be really accurate when put to the test.
It‘s funny you mention the Red LE 22”, that’s what I was comparing the Costco lid to, and as I said, my red lid felt much heavier and rigid.
That said, someone else should check out the Weber 22” on display at their local Costco and report back.

Weber kettles are Made In the USA, not China.
Actually up the road in Huntley IL.
I have a Mastertouch new from last year. while defiantly lighter than my old ones it's not flimsy by any means.
Well, at least it is committed however defiantly!😉

America makes thin metal, just as China makes thick metal. Where it comes from isn't indicative of what it is made of, how it is made, or the quality. I've seen a good number of products that were made in China that were better than comparable US made products. It's a generalization that we all fall into. That same generalization was made on "made in Japan" products for decades...until many years of proving the products from Japan were the equal or better than US made products.

America makes thin metal, just as China makes thick metal. Where it comes from isn't indicative of what it is made of, how it is made, or the quality. I've seen a good number of products that were made in China that were better than comparable US made products. It's a generalization that we all fall into. That same generalization was made on "made in Japan" products for decades...until many years of proving the products from Japan were the equal or better than US made products.
Well said, quality knows no borders whether high caliber or the lowest, well made is not confined to the United States alone. I’ve had my hands on some pretty lousy instruments made by the Gibson company and some very fine ones, things made by man will always have inconsistencie.

I bought a brisket knife, thinking it was a Japanese damascus knife. I found out it was made in China under a cloak of Japanese sounding branding, so I sent it back. It was a nicely made knife.

Later I found a US knife maker that advertised as being family owned for generations of fine craftsman. They listed a brisket knife made of a great modern knife steel. I bought one. It was not very well made, in particular the edge was concave in a large area, making it not cut to a cutting board in that area. When I asked if they could fix it, they simply said they'd accept a return and when I asked if I could get one with a straight edge, they repeated the return statement.

I am still using an imported Victorinox brisket knife, made from a mediocre steel, but manufactured to a precise profile. The steel requires it to be sharpened often, but the profile and Granton relief grooves are as close to perfection as I've seen in a brisket knife. Likely, the profile is CNC machine ground.

Agree 100% that quality varies anywhere. I’m in no way generalizing Asian made production as better or worse. I’m pointing out two separate observations. First, the Costco example IMO felt flimsy and not ‘solidly built’, for whatever that’s worth. Second, that I’m not fond of Weber‘s marketing (or any other Company) as stating being US made when it is not. If a company is going to tout being American made, be American made.
I live in Missouri, where there used to be a Dodge/Chrysler plant. I drive a Honda and catch flack all the time that I’m not supporting American jobs driving a foreign car. This is coming from folks driving ‘American’ badged models made in Canada and Mexico with few American made parts. My Honda was built in Ohio with the majority of its parts being US made.
I would rather buy American products made with American hands, so long as it’s good quality, but that’s not usually possible in today‘s global economy. When I find a product that is, I do what I can to support it.

My observations have been more about the finish on newer kettles. I bought a new "Crimson" kettle and also picked up a used "Slate Blue" one. Both had pretty matte, dry finishes that I find disappointing. At the same time, I also bought an Ace special edition "Indigo" kettle that has that old familiar shiny, slick finish I am used to. So, not sure if this has to do with chemicals (and restrictions on them) for some colors vs. others.

I saw one of the Master Touch Premiums in Germany a couple years ago and loved it myself. I wish I had a Costco close enough.

Back