2022 Kettles

Agree 100% that quality varies anywhere. I’m in no way generalizing Asian made production as better or worse. I’m pointing out two separate observations. First, the Costco example IMO felt flimsy and not ‘solidly built’, for whatever that’s worth. Second, that I’m not fond of Weber‘s marketing (or any other Company) as stating being US made when it is not. If a company is going to tout being American made, be American made.
I live in Missouri, where there used to be a Dodge/Chrysler plant. I drive a Honda and catch flack all the time that I’m not supporting American jobs driving a foreign car. This is coming from folks driving ‘American’ badged models made in Canada and Mexico with few American made parts. My Honda was built in Ohio with the majority of its parts being US made.
I would rather buy American products made with American hands, so long as it’s good quality, but that’s not usually possible in today‘s global economy. When I find a product that is, I do what I can to support it.

A little insight I was given by a former Honda exec. The assembly factory is owned by American Honda and has to purchase parts to assemble the cars from the parent company. The parent company sells the parts at inflated prices to inflate the "cost to produce" the car, thereby limiting profits and keeping taxes low. But it also does another thing. It facilitates a greater flow of money out of the U.S. to the parent company by increasing their profits of the parts. All is not what it seems. I'm guessing other foreign car companies that "produce" cars in the states do similar tricks.

I was impressed with the price!
Need to find some cheap used ones. Or uds. Keep them in good shape.
Tony,

Here's a guy in Milwaukee that has been trying to unload this one for a long time. I actually thought about it, but my last trips to Chicago area wouldn't allow the time. It looks dirty but intact.

Huh, I didn't feel that earthquake, Tony. Glad you made it out of Costco OK!

When I was looking at a MT, the Premium was a t least still listed on Weber. Decided I didn't really need the extra stuff, and not even using the coal baskets the regular came with as I got a Vortex.

Hinged lid was temping, especially if I ever wanted to install one on the WSM.

Sorry. Just wanted to show the prices. I see trouble for Weber.
Weber stopped selling the MT Premium in the U.S. and probably offloaded remaining stock to Costco. Perhaps they have a new top end MT in the pipeline. The hinged lid is good when it fits well. The diffuser plate is a gimmick that doesn't work well in my experience. I don't use it. Not enough distance between charcoal grate and cooking grate.

Weber stopped selling the MT Premium in the U.S. and probably offloaded remaining stock to Costco. Perhaps they have a new top end MT in the pipeline. The hinged lid is good when it fits well. The diffuser plate is a gimmick that doesn't work well in my experience. I don't use it. Not enough distance between charcoal grate and cooking grate.
Master-Touch Premium hasn't been discontinued in the US. Currently, they have been made a Costco exclusive model. #IworkforWeber

We haven't made any recent changes to anything regarding the thickness of our kettle lids and bowls. A kettle made 2 years ago has the exact same thickness as a kettle sold today, and a 22" Original Kettle (741001) sold at Home Depot is identical to one sold anywhere else. All kettles currently sold in the US have the lids/bowls pressed and enameled in our manufacturing facility in Huntley, Illinois. The only kettle ever sold in the US that was made in China was the Limited Edition Red Kettle we released several years ago, which had to be made there due to US regulations concerning the application of the enamel formula used to create that specific shade of red. #IworkforWeber
Thanks John for the clarification, that’s good to know. I don’t mean to put you on the spot, but can you give us an example of what/how much of the parts for the typical 22” kettle come from overseas?
Yeah, the cadmium issue for the reds, I remember that. I have an LE red 22” as well as a pre-ban 18” red.
Welcome!

Last edited:
Master-Touch Premium hasn't been discontinued in the US. Currently, they have been made a Costco exclusive model. #IworkforWeber
Thanks for the insight John.

I admit I got sucked into thinking that all the manufacturing had been outsourced to China and quality had declined.

For kettles, Is it the sheet metal and the plastic components that are sourced from China? Then pressing, enamelling, assembly in Huntley?

What about the Summit Kamado? Are the hinges and other metal components made in China?

There definitely seems to be a perception that quality has declined but sounds like the quality control sits firmly in the U.S.

Are Weber doing enough to counter the rumours?

John,
A big welcome to TVWBB! It is great to have someone from Weber help keep us straight😎 and give some “from the source” insight. I hope you will participate as often as you can. We always have lots of questions, so try to be patient! We are glad to have you here👍.

All kettles currently sold in the US have the lids/bowls pressed and enameled in our manufacturing facility in Huntley, Illinois. . #IworkforWeber
Welcome to the forum John. Just shoot straight with everyone here. We love our webers and do want the company to stay around for a long time to come.

Thanks John for the clarification, that’s good to know. I don’t mean to put you on the spot, but can you give us an example of what/how much of the parts for the typical 22” kettle come from overseas?
Yeah, the cadmium issue for the reds, I remember that. I have an LE red 22” as well as a pre-ban 18” red.
Welcome!
Hey Jason, I'm afraid I don't have a breakdown by percentage/component to provide, as it can vary over the course of a production run. We sometimes utilize multiple vendors for a single component to help fill demand or overcome various supply chain issues. A handle is one example. It could come from a local vendor or it could come from an overseas vendor depending on the time of year and individual supplier constraints.

Thanks for the insight John.

I admit I got sucked into thinking that all the manufacturing had been outsourced to China and quality had declined.

For kettles, Is it the sheet metal and the plastic components that are sourced from China? Then pressing, enamelling, assembly in Huntley?

What about the Summit Kamado? Are the hinges and other metal components made in China?

There definitely seems to be a perception that quality has declined but sounds like the quality control sits firmly in the U.S.

Are Weber doing enough to counter the rumours?
Hey Gary, Components can come from multiple vendors. Please see my response to Jason above. Pressing, enameling, and assembly for kettles sold in the US is generally all done in Huntley. I don't know off the top of my head where the hinges for Summit Kamado are being sourced, but as an owner of a Summit Charcoal (which uses the same exact hinge), I can tell you it's incredibly robust, so whoever is making it is doing a heck of a job. Unfortunately, shutting down rumors can be like herding cats.

Back