2022 Kettles

I purchased a copper kettle premium in 20 or 21', it seems pretty well built compared to others ive owned in the past...I dont like the change to the ash cleanout bowl though its too fiddly and needs a redesign ...the old design wasnt perfect but imo it was slightly better ...i hope they are always built in america with high standards...been thinking about getting another performer but havent pulled the trigger yet...

Are Weber doing enough to counter the rumours?
There isn’t a company on the planet that is in business to squash rumor, nor should they. The onus is not on the company to prove rumors true or false, it’s on the rumor spreaders to do so. And in this case, they still haven’t been successful.

Weber is fine and certainly in no risk of going out of business. Things are getting silly in here boys

This has been going on for awhile.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I hadn’t seen that one before. I’ve been on the hunt to measure some random kettles myself, as I contend that nothing much has changed and new is just as good as old.

Checked out the costco one. The charcoal ring and plate leaves very little room. Lid closes off. Need to rework that. I guess the cupholder thingee is a flat probe holder or such. Maybe an egg timer. Not happy with how it is done. The lid seemed shallower. And flimsier.

There isn’t a company on the planet that is in business to squash rumor, nor should they. The onus is not on the company to prove rumors true or false, it’s on the rumor spreaders to do so. And in this case, they still haven’t been successful.

Weber is fine and certainly in no risk of going out of business. Things are getting silly in here boys

Plenty of independent Public Relations and Marketing companies out there who are employed to manage the company message to the consumers.
Weber have their own marketing department.
Some companies are much better at it than others.

It wouldn't take much for Weber to make a slick video of their Huntley operation. I'd certainly like to see it.

Take a close look at SNS and Napoleon kettles. They've both copied and improved the Weber design and arguably improved the quality.

I've never suggested Weber are at risk of going of of business and I still buy their products. However, they shouldn't get complacent about their market share and what consumers (rightly or wrongly) think about them.

Look at the difference in the way Weber and Traeger did their IPOs. Traeger to much fanfare and and an initial rise in share price.
Weber followed meekly behind.

Last edited:
Checked out the costco one. The charcoal ring and plate leaves very little room. Lid closes off. Need to rework that. I guess the cupholder thingee is a flat probe holder or such. Maybe an egg timer. Not happy with how it is done. The lid seemed shallower. And flimsier.

The cupholder thingee is just about the right size for the iGrill2 temp monitor. It actually needs to be a bit bigger but it does the job and is a handy holster for probes.

I think people might think the MT Premium lid is lighter because the sprung hinge makes it well balanced and very easy to lift and close, one handed.
I like it although it is a bit fiddly to get a good seal. Mine needs another tweek but a small leak is not a problem.

The cupholder thingee is just about the right size for the iGrill2 temp monitor. It actually needs to be a bit bigger but it does the job and is a handy holster for probes.

I think people might think the MT Premium lid is lighter because the sprung hinge makes it well balanced and very easy to lift and close, one handed.
I like it although it is a bit fiddly to get a good seal. Mine needs another tweek but a small leak is not a problem.
You're spot on about the MTP lid seeming lighter due to the assistance that the hinge makes in terms of lifting it! Getting a proper seal can typically be resolved with some minor adjustments to the lid-to-bowl hinge hardware. I've put together FAQ's on each topic:

https://consumer-care.weber.com/hc/...-feel-lighter-than-a-normal-Weber-kettle-lid-

Well said, quality knows no borders whether high caliber or the lowest, well made is not confined to the United States alone. I’ve had my hands on some pretty lousy instruments made by the Gibson company and some very fine ones, things made by man will always have inconsistencie.
Wish I still had my old 62 SG Special......

Still felt like I could torque the lid

There is some flex in the lid of my MT Premium. if you push the sides in it moves. The bowl has a rolled edge to prevent that type of movement.

I don't have any kettles to compare it with these days but I don't recall that type of movement in my old ones.

I think the combination of longer legs and a lightweight hinge contributes to this model have a bit more wobble than the typical 22”.

None of the kettle lids have rolled edges. Only the WSM has a rolled edge on the lid due to the way it engages the top of the middle cooking section.
So is there any flex in other kettle lids?
I'm pretty sure there wasn't in my old ones, but I don't currently have anything to compare it with.
Need to visit my nearest Weber dealer to give them a squeeze.

Yeah, I’ve got a few kettles from various eras, and the metal thickness/flexibility seems pretty much the same.

The major difference I’ve noticed with the newer kettles is how the legs are fixed. Newer kettles wobble like crazy at the leg socket compared with older kettles. Not a fan of the modern push-button setup. The compression fit leg sockets seem much sturdier in regular use.

Back