2018 Spirit II Gas Grill Redesign

In my brief inspections, the Spirit II seems like a decent fairly solid grill. I like that it goes back to the simple open cart design. I realize that some people feel that they are China junk, but I am not sure that is fair. Recently I posted a picture of a glitzy stainless 5-burner Nexgrill at Home Depot that was on display right behind a Spirit II and sold for a little LESS. If time shows that the Spirit II's hold up, then they are the solid sensible choice vs. the obviously light-weight Nexgrill of very questionable durability. Looking at the cart and grill my first impression is that they WILL last a lot longer, always of course with good care.

So, are these as rugged as the old Genesis Silver A (later early Spirit)? Maybe not, but I think they look to still have potential to rise above the Nexgrill/Charbroil/Whatever category. If this is confirmed by time, then they will turn out to be a great choice for many users. I do like the interesting colors;)!

I for one m will miss the under cabinet design. Even in NG with no tank to hide, keeping grease pans and a smoker box or whatever is just plain handy.

^^^ I agree. I like the more refined look and storage capabilities of the enclosed lower cabinets of the prior generation Spirit grills. Luckily, I was fortunate enough to recently score a new in box leftover stainless Spirit SP-330 (has a side burner and sear station) at a local garden center for a killer deal. When lifting the lids of the Spirit IIs for comparison, there was a distinct “lighter weight” feel to the newer model lids unfortunately.

Last edited:
I don't think there ever was a Spirit model 330 I think you have a Genesis S330

For the prior generation to the 2018 Spirit II models, there certainly were! :) There was both a Spirit E-330 as well as an Spirit SP-330. With the new Spirit II models, there only seems to be the 310 iterations. Again, I feel very lucky to have scored my stainless Spirit with the cabinet, side burner and sear station which are sadly no longer available in the new Spirit II models. :(

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B017HNZ2ZA/tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B016M5A2SQ/tvwb-20

I for one m will miss the under cabinet design. Even in NG with no tank to hide, keeping grease pans and a smoker box or whatever is just plain handy.

Yeah, I can understand that as far as convenience and also looking cleaner and maybe more substantial on your deck. I guess I have rehabbed enough Genesis 300 series grills where the cabinet was completely rusted out that I have grown to see them mostly as an annoyance. Even the Genesis Silver C I picked up has rust on the bottom of the cart. I am not saying that if it had been open there would be no problems, but ventilation and no flat bottom to hold water and moisture would surely help. I suppose you just have to decide if the extra maintenance it requires to keep a closed in cabinet dry and clean is worth the looks and storage capacity.

Press Release...but old news.

--

Weber Launches New Spirit II Grills Featuring Bold Colors And New 10-Year Warranty
Apr 25, 2018

PALATINE, Ill., April 25, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Weber-Stephen Products LLC, the world's leading manufacturer of outdoor gas, charcoal and electric grills, announces the launch of the new Weber® Spirit II series of gas grills that builds on the popularity of Weber's Spirit® line.

The Spirit II line includes two and three-burner gas grills, available in four bold colors that add spark to the backyard, including sapphire, red, black and a trend-setting ivory color. As an bonus, Spirit II grills come with a 10-year warranty*—a generous warranty that covers everything from the wheels to the lid.

"The Spirit II line is specifically designed with Weber's legendary quality and durability," said Melissa Enos, vice president of marketing, Weber-Stephen Products LLC. "This new line makes being part of the Weber family much more accessible and a smarter investment in the long run."

The Spirit® II E-210™ two-burner gas grill (MSRP: $499) and the Spirit® II E-310™ three-burner gas grill (MSRP: $599) features porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates, an open cart design, and two side tables—including a left table that folds down for easy storage or to accommodate a smaller outdoor space.

In addition, each Spirit II gas grill is compatible with the Weber iGrill® 3 app-connected thermometer (sold separately (MSRP:$99.99). This thermometer can be installed into the side table of the grill for use with the free Weber iGrill app on iOS and Android® devices. Grillers can connect up to four temperature probes to monitor food from beginning to end. The app notifies users once grilled foods, like steak, chicken or roast has reached the perfect degree and also displays the amount of fuel left in the gas tank (LP only).

Each Spirit II is powered by the exclusive GS4® Grilling System comprised of durable, stainless steel burners; Flavorizer® bars designed to reduce flare-ups; a centrally-located grease management system; and Infinity Ignition guaranteeing grillers quick and easy lighting every time.

Visit www.weber.com for more information.

I have said before that I think these new Spirits do have some definitely positive points. One thing that I don't understand is that they tout the "GS4 Grilling System". If I am not mistaken these new Spirits still have the traditional burners. I guess I thought the new trapezoid shaped burners were the heart of the "GS4", but I guess I could be wrong.

Weber is falling on nomenclature and hype just like the other stuff. Burner is a burner. IMO single tube burners are not the best way to get even heat anyway.

I picked up a Spirit E-310 yesterday at Ace. I prefer the enclosed design over the Spirit II. Only paid $120 more than I told my wife I paid for it.

After grilling and smoking for 30+ years, I own my first Weber. I'm completely blown away at the quality over all of the $300 grills that I replaced every 7-8 years. Everything is soooooo much better built with soooooo much stronger material.

Burgers tonight to break it in and learn how it cooks then ribeyes, pork loin chops and corn on the cob tomorrow for Mother's Day.

I tried to convince my wife the grill is a Mother's Day present for her but couldn't pull it off.

Well they are definitely out there. While I agree that Consumer Reports doesn’t always get it right, their ratings included a long list of low-rated big box store losers. I don’t think the last generation of Spirits would be in that bottom category at all.

Larry, I can understand your reaction a little because in comparison to the classic Genesis grills of years ago, including the Silver A (later becoming the first Spirit), these don’t compare favorably in terms of durability. However, they are still much better than the collection of clunkers mentioned above. Also, to be fair, the three burner version also garnered some very positive reviews for the quality of its grilling. That’s not to say they will last decades like a well kept old Genesis, but they do cook very well, at least by many users’ accounts. I won’t deny that since I have never grilled on one.

I picked up a Spirit E-310 yesterday at Ace. I prefer the enclosed design over the Spirit II. Only paid $120 more than I told my wife I paid for it.

After grilling and smoking for 30+ years, I own my first Weber. I'm completely blown away at the quality over all of the $300 grills that I replaced every 7-8 years. Everything is soooooo much better built with soooooo much stronger material.

Burgers tonight to break it in and learn how it cooks then ribeyes, pork loin chops and corn on the cob tomorrow for Mother's Day.

I tried to convince my wife the grill is a Mother's Day present for her but couldn't pull it off.

Congratulations Mark. I'm sure it will give you many years of pleasure and delicious meals. I have two vintage webers but think the new models are great.

We just got back from visiting friends in Colorado. My buddy has a 4 year old Spirit. His grill looks great despite heavy use and and snowy winters. I cooked on it a couple of times and was impressed. He says the same thing you do. That it's the best grill he's owned. And like me he owned a lot of grills before buying a weber.

And the new Spirit looks like a higher quality grill than its immediate predecessor.

For the prior generation to the 2018 Spirit II models, there certainly were! :) There was both a Spirit E-330 as well as an Spirit SP-330. With the new Spirit II models, there only seems to be the 310 iterations. Again, I feel very lucky to have scored my stainless Spirit with the cabinet, side burner and sear station which are sadly no longer available in the new Spirit II models. :(

Agreed...a few days ago I picked up a brand new Spirit SP-330 at Ace Hardware for $499. Had to order online - advertised at $170 off - with free assembly and free LP exchange.
The downside is it's only available in the NG version, but at that price point I have no problem ordering a new LP valve/manifold assy, regulator/hose, and side burner valve. That will eat up a good portion of the discount, but for an ss cabinet 3-burner with sear, ss grates, and side-burner, I have no problem with this.

The closest current model that I can find comparable to the above is the Genesis II LX at $1300. Yikes!

Last edited:
Congratulations Mark. I'm sure it will give you many years of pleasure and delicious meals. I have two vintage webers but think the new models are great.

We just got back from visiting friends in Colorado. My buddy has a 4 year old Spirit. His grill looks great despite heavy use and and snowy winters. I cooked on it a couple of times and was impressed. He says the same thing you do. That it's the best grill he's owned. And like me he owned a lot of grills before buying a weber.

And the new Spirit looks like a higher quality grill than its immediate predecessor.

Thanks for the nice words.

Every time I've used it, I see the quality that it has. I'm real proud of it and so happy I'm a Weber owner.

I've finally decided to get my first Weber, and the Spirit is all I can afford. I went down to my local Lowe's and they still have one of last year's models for $50 off. So I've been researching the differences but am still not sure which I should get. Here's what I found:

1) Change in overall design - I actually prefer the new open design.
2) Cheaper build quality? - Yes, the lid is lighter but that's not the only thing to consider. The old one isn't exactly heavy-duty either.
3) Better quality steel - nonmagnetic, whatever that is worth. It's still not 304 though.
4) Better igniter? - Consumer Reports said it was hard to ignite, but I couldn't find any details on that comment.
5) One piece firebox - the new design seems better to me, and it's marginally easier to get the grease catcher out, but the Genesis still uses the separate slide out firebox floor, so I suppose the old design is fine. Easier to clean for sure.
6) Better warranty - always a good thing.
7) Different grates - supposedly a better design, but they are very similar so not sure if it really makes a difference.
8) Burners - not sure if there's a difference here, I'll have to go back and take a closer look.
9) Flavorizer bars - not sure if there's a difference.
10) iGrill - not sure if it really matters. Might be nice but most don't seem to think it's worth it.
11) Evenness of heat distribution - one of the most important things IMO. I couldn't find a review of the old one with actual numbers like I did for the new one on amazingribs.com, but other reviews rated both about the same.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
I would get the new design over the older design with the enclosed bottom. Fifty bucks or not.
I actually think you would be better off with an older grill (Genesis 1000 or Silver B) if cost is a concern.

I've finally decided to get my first Weber, and the Spirit is all I can afford. I went down to my local Lowe's and they still have one of last year's models for $50 off. So I've been researching the differences but am still not sure which I should get. Here's what I found:

1) Change in overall design - I actually prefer the new open design.
2) Cheaper build quality? - Yes, the lid is lighter but that's not the only thing to consider. The old one isn't exactly heavy-duty either.
3) Better quality steel - nonmagnetic, whatever that is worth. It's still not 304 though.
4) Better igniter? - Consumer Reports said it was hard to ignite, but I couldn't find any details on that comment.
5) One piece firebox - the new design seems better to me, and it's marginally easier to get the grease catcher out, but the Genesis still uses the separate slide out firebox floor, so I suppose the old design is fine. Easier to clean for sure.
6) Better warranty - always a good thing.
7) Different grills - supposedly a better design, but very similar it seems, not sure if it makes a difference. Unless there's a difference in material?
8) Burners - not sure if there's a difference here, I'll have to go back and take a closer look.
9) Flavorizer bars - not sure if there's a difference.
10) iGrill - not sure if it really matters. Might be nice but most don't seem to thing it's worth it.
11) Evenness of heat distribution - one of the most important things IMO. I couldn't find a review of the old one with actual numbers like I did for the new one on amazingribs.com, but other reviews rated both about the same.

Did I miss anything?

A couple things to touch on for you here. I do believe the new igniter is superior to the old style, but I guess time will tell on that. The burners are the exact same, so no difference there. Besides the hole in the flavorizer bars, they seem to be the same but the Spirit II comes with a 10 year warranty compared to 2 years on the older model.

Another difference - tank inside cabinet or tank on the outside. This is just preference as far as what you prefer, but its definitely easier to hook up a full LP tank to the outside compared to inside the cabinet.

Thank you both, maybe I will get the new one then. If I do, I might consider natural gas though but need to research it. But I also will check the local ads for used ones.

My local Target had the new one on clearance for 15% off. Total of $75 off the new Spirit II E-310 ($425 + tax). They also had a Spirit II E-210 on clearance for $280. Might be worth checking out. So far the Spirit II E-310 has been working like a champ.

Back