2004 Weber Silver Genesis B restoration

Thanks to you all, and Amazon and Fix.com, and my local welder, I have a new grill! Cost me a bit for new parts, but when I look at the price tags in the store for the newer models, I think I invested well. And from what I've read here, the burner system on the Silver Genesis can't be beat.

I got this grill new, back in the day, as a birthday present, and grilled a lot of burgers and steaks, even some dogs over the years. Eventually the flavorizer bars folded inward from corrosion, and the holes in the burners corroded, as well.

2O2ZE4v

cNdzjCF

t0OG0QB

Mq4H9O7

iSiUO7C

She has new burners, new grates, new ignition, new flavorizer bars, new wheels (2 Weber and 2 lawnmower), new paint, new thermometer. Instead of replacing the bottom pan with a new one, which retails for over $100, I made a wooden rack. I used a lot of swear words on it.

ENUcczbl.jpg

dj8WT0em.jpg

9Ef0gp4l.jpg

Cross bar cost me $53 to have welded in (they also removed the old, rusty one.)
f8e9rTtl.jpg

ky7BP38l.jpg

LhiQxrOl.jpg

One thing I learned is that the screws/nuts holding the burners in the box--they are not meant to come out. Originally I'd thought that these were so corroded, and that was the reason I couldn't unscrew them. Then I read somewhere that they aren't supposed to be removed. I slipped the old burners out, cleaned out the grime under the holding screws/washers, and jimmied the new burners in. I was so happy that this was all by design, after all the parts and time I'd invested in.

4TzTvftl.jpg

Last edited:
Reborn and looking good. Isn't that grill supposed to have cross bars across the front and back at the bottom?

Reborn and looking good. Isn't that grill supposed to have cross bars across the front and back at the bottom?

Thanks, you guys! What a community here. You guys are so awesome and generous with your talents and encouragement. I love it!

No--this grill, sadly, doesn't have support bars on the bottom; it relied on a lower pan that snapped into place to act as support. So I did attach some corner braces to the underside of my wooden rack, the idea (hopefully?) being that these would prevent the cart from doing the splits over time.

Here's the schematics for my Weber:

6221398.jpg

That lower pan (item 24) has no drainage, so any water that collects (maybe shame on me for not taking better care of the grill?) just leads to rust. And the pan is quite expensive to replace according to all the parts shops I checked. Not a great design, anyway, unless one were to maybe drill some holes into the bottom?

That lower pan (item 24) has no drainage, so any water that collects (maybe shame on me for not taking better care of the grill?) just leads to rust. And the pan is quite expensive to replace according to all the parts shops I checked. Not a great design, anyway, unless one were to maybe drill some holes into the bottom?

In theory, at each corner of the pan where the sides are folded up, there's a bit of an opening that water is supposed to drain out of.

Nice job on the restore !! Nice solution to the bottom rack!

That makes sense. I picked up a silver b earlier this year that had the cabinet and it too had the bottom pan that provided the support between the legs. Yep, it was a rust fest. i parted the grill out as it clearly had a big grease fire in it at some point and the cook box was warped. It had black knobs however.

In theory, at each corner of the pan where the sides are folded up, there's a bit of an opening that water is supposed to drain out of.

Nice job on the restore !! Nice solution to the bottom rack!

Thanks, Dave!

Maybe due to warping or grit collection, that bottom pan just remained water-logged and rusted out. I'd hoped to salvage it with a coat of paint, but it was too far gone.

That makes sense. I picked up a silver b earlier this year that had the cabinet and it too had the bottom pan that provided the support between the legs. Yep, it was a rust fest. i parted the grill out as it clearly had a big grease fire in it at some point and the cook box was warped. It had black knobs however.

Harsh weather there in the Mid West, too, right? I am in California and leave the grill out all season, under a patio cover.

I also built a wooden shelf for my Genesis Gold C. I used the original clamps which held the metal shelf in place to hold the wooden rack in place.
32089605_10211756943302664_4016858907929477120_n.jpg

But I did not make it as nice and shiny since it will be out of sight anyhow.
31959252_10211756942422642_5037182930883969024_n.jpg

Back