2 gorgeous cowboy ribeyes on

The bones were all mine. I cooked them at 240 deg until I have them at about 135. Then I dropped the big Z into Super Smoke mode and let them ride. SS is 160 and it holds it like a rock. I held them like that so I did not have to pull them for rest until the other dishes were done. I didn't even bother with a "sear". They had a gorgeous crust, the fat rendered beautifully, there was even a bit of Texas "Crunch" on them. Edge to edge pink/rosy. And tender? Beyond belief.
I know there are folks on this form thinking us pellet heads are fools and lazy. IDK, but all I can say is I am turning out food like I never could before. And in the end. What's the whole point of our "hobby"? Turning out excellent food and pleasing friends and family. I look at this as having an impact wrench, Yeah I could break those bolts loose by hand, but why? When I have a "power tool". :D BTW the pan held my maple/butter glazed carrots
Anyway the steaks were nothing short of incredible

Attachments

• 20230626_180608.jpg
    20230626_180608.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230626_180612.jpg
    20230626_180612.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230626_183229.jpg
    20230626_183229.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 28
Those looks very tasty, congrats. Is a Cowboy Ribeye the same thing as a Tomahawk?

Those looks very tasty, congrats. Is a Cowboy Ribeye the same thing as a Tomahawk?
No. Bone size is different and the tomahawk is frenched on the bone.

What is this " rest the old liver " thing you talk about......I am still not too old to learn new things!!!!
Beef looks great......really good especially all cut up.
Good work on the pellet, I gave up mine about 2 years back and never missed it.....I was using original 15 year old now Trager technology which seemed great at the time but the heat range would swing about 30 degrees either way from my set point.....never had a smoke setting and also wouldn't do any sort of sear as hitting 450 was a big deal......
It was my jerky machine.....and it did a great job, miss that a bit.

What is this " rest the old liver " thing you talk about......I am still not too old to learn new things!!!!
Beef looks great......really good especially all cut up.
Good work on the pellet, I gave up mine about 2 years back and never missed it.....I was using original 15 year old now Trager technology which seemed great at the time but the heat range would swing about 30 degrees either way from my set point.....never had a smoke setting and also wouldn't do any sort of sear as hitting 450 was a big deal......
It was my jerky machine.....and it did a great job, miss that a bit.
Well maybe it's time to "embrace" the new tech. 😋 That Z Grill holds temps solid. Heck even my Member's Mark holds within 10 deg max. I can't even get that out of my kitchen oven. POC LG range can't hold + or - 50 deg! Also both the Z and the MM can reach 500. Plenty hot enough IMO. Honestly if you'd eaten that steak you would think I did the crust on it at high temps. The grill never went over 250. Obviously this cannot happen on a thin steak. But these cowboy steaks at Sam's are more like small roasts. When I do my hand cut steaks it's a 2 step. I do them at 220 or so until they reach 110 to 115. Then they get wrapped and held while I run the grill to 400 and finish them. Was not necessary on these big beauties. This was my first time doing them on a pellet grill. So even after close to a year with these things it's still a learning exercise.
And thinking it may be time to feed that old liver something besides bourbon or scotch :D I found some Italian sparkling mineral water at Costco Kirkland brand. Great stuff with a slice of lemon

Amazing cook Larry. After three years with my CC pellet grill, I'm still learning also. Every cook is a little different and that's what makes it interesting. Although I don't see any $30+ steaks in its future I will be happy with a nice rib eye anytime. From making bacon to cooking turkeys, it does it all easily.

I also wanted to mention I went to the butcher's closest to my house, new owner, just moved locations.....they had the tomahawks under the counter without pricing, so I said I don't see the price listed, he said $65 each, doesn't matter which one you want.
Now there was 1 really really nice one in there but I was just cooking for myself that night and didn't need a 3 to 4 pound roast for dinner.
I left with a $8 pound of ground beef I watched him grind from steak pieces.......asked him to lean toward 70 / 30 if he could.
65 dollars for a 2 person steak......darn near had to toss out my undies........

Back