1st use of WSM set for Saturday.

Kevin L.

Hey Kids! Well, I pulled a Costco butt out of the deep freezer and plan to do my first WSM smoke on Sat. I've been reading all I can about the care and treatment of WSMs for best results in preparation. I'm pretty well convinced that what has been lacking in my BBQing with my 20-year old Weber Kettle is proper heat management. One of the things that settled me on the WSM is the universal comment about how it holds a steady temperature once properly adjusted. That's encouraging!

Here's my question: How do you recommend "calibrating" the smoker thermometer? Will a stainless steel meat thermometer inserted through the port on the right side, perhaps tilted upward a bit suffice to see how the on-board thermo reads high or low vs. "reality"? Once I establish the bias of the stock thermo I can adjust what it reads accordingly. Down the road a couple of months I'll pay up for the proper digital meat temp probes, but for now I just want to dial it in a bit with what I've got.

Appreciate any advice!
Kevin

I know many people insert the meat thermometer through the top vent. I think that would give you a more realistic reading for what the top grate temp is.

Go to the supermarket and get a $5-$7 candy thermometer...its a 6 inch glass tube and has a diameter of about the size of a penny. You can put this in one of the top vents. One advantage over a meat thermometer is it will measure well past 350 degrees so you can use for high heat cooks as well.

Also, I highly recommend getting a remote thermometer that has a probe for the meat and for the grill temps. Ultimately it is really the only way to go. I have a Redi-Check that works great. Also, many recommend the Maverick ET-73 or the ET-733. Costs usually range from $30 to $50 but it is well worth it and a very low effort satisfying way to ensure good temps for your cooking space and your meat over the entire cooking time.

I'd have to recommend against testing the stock thermo by measuring temps from the side port. As there is (and should be) a pretty large difference between the two areas - especially if you are using water in your pan (even if your not). The heat from the coals will measure MUCH higher due to it circulating up the sides around the water pan.

Heck even measuring from the top of the grill will be different then the top of the lid. But at least that way, you'll be able to calc the difference between the two (i.e. - 250 on lid might equal 230 on grate)

As James H points out, instead of using the side port, just poke it through one of the holes in the top vent

Remove it/stick the probe in ice water (s/b be 32o), let it recover and then stick the probe in boiling water (s/b 212o). If not, then just add/subtract the difference from your smoker when it's "working" and it will be dead on accurate.

Wishing you an Enjoyable cook, Kevin. Great words of wisdom in the above posts.

As Myk noted, temperature differs through the inside of the WSM. If you do a calibration per Len's advice and it checks out, you will find the Weber thermometer will read the temperature at its location. Guess you could call that true reality ;)

Go to the supermarket and get a $5-$7 candy thermometer...its a 6 inch glass tube and has a diameter of about the size of a penny. You can put this in one of the top vents. One advantage over a meat thermometer is it will measure well past 350 degrees so you can use for high heat cooks as well.

Also, I highly recommend getting a remote thermometer that has a probe for the meat and for the grill temps. Ultimately it is really the only way to go. I have a Redi-Check that works great. Also, many recommend the Maverick ET-73 or the ET-733. Costs usually range from $30 to $50 but it is well worth it and a very low effort satisfying way to ensure good temps for your cooking space and your meat over the entire cooking time.

Yes if anything it's worth it so you can monitor the temp from your couch

Personally i like to put the thermometer at the cooking grate since that is where the meat I'm cooking is

Yes if anything it's worth it so you can monitor the temp from your couch

Personally i like to put the thermometer at the cooking grate since that is where the meat I'm cooking is

Thanks for the advice, folks! :)

I plan to use play sand in the water pan and cover with foil.

Last edited:
Whichever you use ( lid, top vent, grate or side port ) stick with it and let it ride. Trying to mix & match will drive you bonkers.:wsm:

Tim

As stated above and all good advise, i only use the dome thermometer to see that the WSM is coming up to temp. I also use a Maverick on long slow cook, most important thing is to pick your seasoning and wood, put on the meat sit back and enjoy the cook. with a maverick you can do other things as it remotely tells you the temp cook time etc.
The WSM is so solid at holding temp that I have even gone to the store to pick up a few things during the cook.
Enjoy and post after shots if you can there is great posts on how to load Photos.

Back