1st Smoke with DigiQ DX2 in my 22.5 WSM with 2 Pork Bone Shoulders

BLaplante

Good morning,

1st smoke of the year for me and 1st smoke with my new DigiQ DX2 on the WSM 22.5.
2 9lb bone in pork shoulders from Restaurant Depot- Memphis dust rub from Amazingribs.com
Empty water pan foiled
Full ring of KBB charcoal, 10 -12 lit briquettes in center
4 chunks pear wood

Will post updates as we progress. Wind is my 1st enemy today, had to set up a wind break and close down top vent about 75%. Next time will close top vent down a little sooner.Trying to run at 250 and see digiq in action but with gusts i am hovering around 260. Wind dies and temp starts to come down until next gust. Not worried about the 10 temp difference affecting the cook.

20140413_084935.jpg

20140413_085721.jpg

looks good BLaplante,im sure your gonna love that digi Q,im running mine on my 18.5 today with some baby backs

Dave,

Added a roaster chicken to the top rack around for eats today and leftovers. about 3 hours in the smoker then crisped the skin up on the grill. used what was left of my pork rub and olive oil on it. turned out really good!

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

Smoker and DigiQ going strong at 250 degrees 10 1/2hours into the smoke. Pork temp 178 degrees

Last edited:
Gotcha. I bet the chicken was good. I've got a BBQ Guru PartyQ that I use to smoke butts in my 18. Love it. I think I'm gonna get an adaptor for my 22 for smoking briskets in it.

Everything done and put away. One shoulder pulled and sent to the neighbors, one ready for us for sandwiches, salads, maybe some pulled pork enchiladas!! Nice bark on both shoulders. Great taste and texture. For Both bones fell right out and I thought felt good when I probed them. One still pulled much more easily then the other. In hindsight the one could have stayed on longer- will have to do as better job probing for tenderness before I take them off the smoker.

DigiQ DX2 worked as advertised, extremely pleased with results. WSM was still chugging along at 250 degrees when I pulled the shoulders off. Not much in the way of charcoal left. Ended up being a 13 hour smoke. My last long smoke was without DigiQ and with clay saucer wrapped in foiled water pan and I ended up adding charcoal at around 10 hours. This smoke was foiled empty water pan. It was breezy today but I think my early issues where I overshot the temps was my doing- should have closed down my top vent sooner then I did. Definitely looking forward to next overnight brisket smoke with the DigiQ.

Chicken was delicious. Getting the skin crispy on the grill really made a big difference over other ones Iv'e smoked in the past.

20140413_220600.jpg

20140413_221321.jpg

20140413_222843.jpg

20140413_224852.jpg

Funny, I ran my big WSM yesterday with the DX2 as well. My plan was to run it wide open with no DX2 to do whole chickens. BUT, it was so darn windy I figured I'd be running crazy high temps. Figured I'd be better off closing it up and running the blower. Great combo.

Back