1st smoke on new 18.5 WSM w/pics

M. Rollins

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello all. Here's the story of my 1st smoke. I debated whether or not to try it on a holiday. At first I wasn't going to, but I just couldn't look at that shiny new bullet any longer without using it! We had a few people over for Mother's Day, and I chose 3 racks of BB ribs. (Also did some chicken on my kettle) I used a simple rub that I put together. Used the Minion method with regular K and cherry wood (didn't have any apple). I was a little worried about the weather. It was cool, cloudy, a little rain, and gusty winds. But with all that, the WSM performed as advertised by you all. The temps held quite well. My biggest issue was with cooking time. I used the pull test at one point and it seemed right at first, but I second guessed myself and decided to leave em on a little longer. Result was the outside ended up a little overcooked. (I didn't foil or sauce) Luckily the meat inside kept its moisture. Everyone loved them, and of course I was already thinking about how I could've done better! Bottom line - I love the WSM! This is gonna be a great, smokey summer! I'm so glad I found this site ahead of time. I probably would've been more nervous than I already was. Sorry for the long post. Hope you like the pics.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com...16182_9f06f34720.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com...05393_99488389fe.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com...05453_7b397f0451.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com...16518_53d250abed.jpg

Mike

Hey Mike!
icon_smile.gif
Welcome and great l
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif
kin' cook!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...but I second guessed myself and... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do this all the time...If my cooks don't come out exactly like I want this is usually the reason.

BTW, nothing wrong with those ribs. They look great!

Welcome!!

Thanks much everyone. For Mike Maclean, I think I will try a couple more batches of ribs. Also, I have a friend who keeps raving about smoked burgers. After that, I should be able to get up the nerve to try a butt. Can't wait!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R:
After that, I should be able to get up the nerve to try a butt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had my WSM for a few years and had a cheapo electric smoker for years before that...I've yet to produce a rack of ribs that I was 100% satisfied with...I do butts all the time and they always come out perfect. IMO, butts are easy...ribs, for me, not so much. If you can produce ribs that look like that, a butt will be a no brainer for you.

I just want to second the opinion that butts are really straightforward - more so than ribs - they just sound scary because they take a long time to cook.

Here's a simple approach, nothing fancy.

Basically if you just take a pork butt, rub it with any plausible rub (what you used on the ribs is probably fine), cook it at 225-250 (using any smoke wood you like on ribs) monitoring the internal temperature. The internal temp isn't how you know it's done, it just saves you the effort of testing way too early.

It will stall out at various points, just ignore it all until it hits 190. At that point it's worth testing - just stick a probe into it. No pressure? It's done.

Let it cool, pull it, put it on a bun with some sauce. It'll be great. Freeze whatever you don't eat.

Easy. It just takes a heck of a long time and once you feel like it's dialed in you might as well cook a couple and freeze 'em. Pulled pork sandwiches are a great quick lunch...

My left over pulled pork almost always ends up as quesadillas or soft tacos. There is something about the flavor that goes so well with the tortillas.

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the forum. The ribs look great. Trust me, you'll always be your toughest critic. As said before, butts are very forgiving, you should definitely give one a try. There are many great recipes on this forum. When you do try one I highly recommend Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans. They are awesome!

Back