1993 Genesis 1000 Redhead

Patience Grasshopper (only us old farts will understand this). Anyway penetrating oil and patience don't try to unscrew them all at once. You may need to only take them 1/2 turn or less, than turn them in, a little more pen oil than another 1/2 turn and so on. Eventually they DO come out. Whatever you do DO NOT USE A HAMMER AND PUNCH! After all the years of heating/cooling cycles the aluminum casting will be VERY brittle and it will shatter like glass

Patience Grasshopper (only us old farts will understand this). Anyway penetrating oil and patience don't try to unscrew them all at once. You may need to only take them 1/2 turn or less, than turn them in, a little more pen oil than another 1/2 turn and so on. Eventually they DO come out. Whatever you do DO NOT USE A HAMMER AND PUNCH! After all the years of heating/cooling cycles the aluminum casting will be VERY brittle and it will shatter like glass

That's a good one, Larry! I guess I am old enough and actually do know what you are talking about this time;)!

https://www.google.com/search?q=kun...UICygC&biw=1377&bih=901#imgrc=ijhIwedMkU61-M:

Yeah I had a pretty strange circle back in the day. I had a kinda weird boss who I became friends with and was a karate instructor, so after work we would get together at his house and he would give us instruction. Afterward we'd order pizza and relax while watching that show eating pizza and hitting on a "bong" and all the while his brother was a well known narcotics officer in a Chicago suburb. Yep it WAS a strange group and VERY strange time in my life.

I'm not so young that I don't remember Kung Fu!

Edit: I guess I'm too young for the original; I realized my memories are of Kung Fu: The Legend Continues

So I'm going the slow route with those manifold bolts. While I'm letting the PB Blaster work I'm cleaning up the lid and with that comes my next question: The refurb thread says that the Weber emblem comes off with some nuts, however when I look at mine it just looks like two posts (non-threaded) with some sort of flat washer/clips on the inside. Anyone want to walk me through getting the emblem off without damaging it?

Last edited:
I've done it by carefully (so as not to cut myself) getting a razor knife blade underneath and slowly working them off. They are pressure washers, they have a star shaped hole that grabs the metal post when they are pushed on. Every time I have removed one, I was able to reuse it. Just be patient, which for me is easier said than done!

I do the same thing, start with a razor blade to cut through the burnt carbon, and then i move up to a small precision flathead screwdriver to pry with. Once I get the precision screwdriver's head under the pressure washer, then I can usually use a small regular flathead and get the pressure washer to disengage.

My success rate for removal: 100%
Re-use rate on the other hand is more like 50% (the pressure washer cracks)

JKim, are those available at normal big box hardware stores?

My current emblem is stuck on there with high heat RTV, and I'd like to take it off, clean it up and put it back on "right" ..

Just cut those darn things off and put a couple dabs of high temp RTV silicone gasket maker under the emblem. Stays on great and if you ever need to remove a plastic putty knife will take it right off

The razor blade worked like a charm, however, i managed to catapult one of the washers off into the oblivion of my yard, never to be seen again...

You have to be so careful with razor blades on that. I tried once like that and the blade shattered and I had some pretty nasty cuts. And believe me it does not take much pressure at all to shatter that blade metal

Finally got the screws out of the manifold bracket. I was having a really hard time figuring out how to get a hold of the paddles on the screws under the bracket, finally figured out that a 17mm socket fit pretty snug over it and was able to turn them out. So at this point the entire grill is disassembled with the exception of getting the burners out. I was able to slide one corner out from under it's bolt and washer pretty easily, but the other side won't budge and the bolt is beat to hell. Suggestions?

Not sure what you're saying. The burner will not slide out from under the set screw at the left side of the fire box? That would be VERY unusual but I have seen it. A screwdriver wedged between the fire box and the flattened part of the burner is going to be plenty to get it out

Those bolts on the burners are not supposed to be removed. The burners should slide in and out easily, but with all the crud, heat and corrosion, they tend to get stuck pretty good. I would folllow Larry's advice and try to wedge them out with a screwdriver. I have done that more than once if a little wiggling didn't do the trick.

Correct, the burner won't slide out from under the bolt on the left, front side. It did slide out on the back burner.

Yep, just work at it with a flat blade screw driver. Maybe some PB Blaster or similar solvent will help.

Also, to clean the insides of the burner tubes, I simply spray water into them a few times and let it drain out. If you hold the flame holes up to the light outdoors, you will be able to look through the opening on the end to see if there is anything obstructing the burners on the inside.

Thanks!

Now just to start deep cleaning, painting and sourcing some brackets for the side table. Hopefully will have her all ready to cook in a week.

CM heed Larry's advice on the emblem cause there will come a time where you are going to do what I am doing which is break the entire lid down due to problems with the side lids paint. All you need to do is use Red RTV High Temp Gasket Maker made by Permatex do not go crazy with it on the back of the emblem its a high temp silicone and if you need to remove it down the road it will not be a problem

My therm which I bought a new one and it was a Weber for some reason when I plugged it into the holder it was not a tight fit it spun, put a few dabs of the rtv on it held it perfectly. Since I had to pull everything out it came right out the stuff works. So I will be doing the same with the emblem got those damn clips off no easy task. I had never taken the emblem off taped it off painted it used an orbital sander carefully to sand it down will tell you not the same as taking it off and as they say here get the paint off lying it on the flat side with a piece of sandpaper.

Again can not stress enough to coat all the stuff into the firebox including the lid bolts with anti-seize, all of my stuff came out easily unlike the first time. What I would suggest for the manifold bolts since I did not have those paddle bolts from the inside is to get stainless steel bolts with washers and wingnuts which is what mine has they changed it they are 20x1/4 I believe 1 and 3/8 from the top of the head to the bottom no matter if they are longer.

This is really nice when you pull it apart to do new burners or whatever, just unscrew the wingnuts leave the bolts in pull the manifold bracket off.

Last edited:
CM think I gave you bad advice on changing those manifold bolts. Those are different than mine as they must be threaded where my bolts push in and then the wing nuts to hold it. Are those paddle bolts stainless.

Back