1993 Genesis 1000 Redhead

I had that type on my original Genesis. After I finally worked them out the first time I drilled out the holes and used stainless carriage bolts from the inside and stainless wing nuts and they worked ever so much better

Brian- Yeah mine screw in. I'm still decidign whether or not to just get a regular bolt to screw in there or drill it out like LMichaels says. part of me want to do as little modification as possible. I'll figure it out when i finally get the front burner out from under the *&^% guide bolt!

Well if you decide enlarge the holes to use a regular bolt and wingnut this will be your friend. https://www.harborfreight.com/3-pie...oated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-91616.html

These are perfect for what you would be doing and you do not need a pilot hole obviously. They make a set of 2 also these might be on sale if you have a HB local as they are doing a big fathers day sale. Jon got these for like 9 bucks a few months ago. Honestly this is the only way to drill a nice clean hole in metal I have used them countless times over the years. Drill in one side to the desired step then lightly on the other side just to clean it and make sure the diameter is equal.

Thanks Bruce!

I actually already own that set. I use it to punch out the draft holes on my UDS Smokers. For the price they're amazing.

CM too funny I bought my set many years ago and that is exactly why I bought it as I was building a UDS. So if you decide to drill them out its no big deal then since your not really going to be opening them up much.

Yah, I bought a set of those a few weeks ago....I have no idea where they are now. I never even opened them. :(

Same stuff I use as well. However, I dont put it on ever single nut and bolt as some do. A container like that will last a lifetime and it isn't very expensive.

I actually started using it on any bolts exposed to the weather really don't see how it will hurt as they should not rust up and seize. Its cheap and Bruce you are correct it will last a lifetime.

Partly, one of the reasons I don't use it on all bolts is that it gets on everything and is hard to wipe off. Otherwise, I would probably do the same and put it on all the bolts that I had removed.

Yep any exposed fastener or any fastener that passes through dissimilar metals it will stop the corrosion

Back