1986 Weber Genesis 2 - Brown Restoration

They did make the black knobs for a year or two for the silver series grills around 2005. Other than that, I had not seen the black knobs on other models/years.

hummm....good Q:? I believe so? I've never seen them on any other newer Gen models...and all of these older models have had them..so...I'm thinking yes? Jon...any pics/color ID in your GEN 1 owner manual to confirm BLACK knobs?

I will add a picture later, but yes the 1990 color brochure does show black knobs on the Genesis I, II & III as well as the Jr. Interestingly, the pictures of the Genesis IV and V show gray knobs, I guess to go with the gray slats.

Great restoration Mark. To think that was within striking distance and I missed it, but I'm happy you got it and it has been beautify restored. Now that I've got my skyline finished I'm in the hunt for a gen 1 or II also. Just don't tell Barb.

Last edited:
Great restoration Mark. To think that was within striking distance and I missed it, but I'm happy you got it and it has been beautify restored. Now that I've got my skyline finished I'm in the hunt for a gen 1 or II also. Just don't tell Barb.

Rich,

Your secret is safe with me! It's hard to put a lid on this weberitous, isn't it?

Jon

Genesis I-V, Jr., Black knobs, etc. from the 1990 Weber Catalog

Here are some pictures from the small 1990 Weber catalog I obtained free from an eBay seller from whom I purchased a Genesis I original owner's manual:

Genesis Jr. and 1 (This is later than the very early ones with wide slats and original tank scale, but note the black knobs.)
p.s. I was happy to find that black was an original color offering. I think if I can do one of these I may make it black rather than red. I have never even seen a brown hood.
ggPPGH8.jpg

Genesis 2 & 3 - also with black knobs and cedar color slats.
4k2x0d9.jpg

Genesis 4 & 5 - note the GRAY knobs and the gray stained wood slats. These grills are apparently where the pinstriped gray and maroon hoods you see sometimes came from. Later they used a similar style for the early Platinum grills but added the "Platinum" title.
JUOEVQS.jpg

Did you know that back in 1990 Weber offered a "built-in" grill?
dCJ5uF1.jpg

Here are some pictures from the small 1990 Weber catalog I obtained free from an eBay seller from whom I purchased a Genesis I original owner's manual:

Genesis Jr. and 1 (This is later than the very early ones with wide slats and original tank scale, but note the black knobs.)
p.s. I was happy to find that black was an original color offering. I think if I can do one of these I may make it black rather than red. I have never even seen a brown hood.
ggPPGH8.jpg

Genesis 2 & 3 - also with black knobs and cedar color slats.
4k2x0d9.jpg

Genesis 4 & 5 - note the GRAY knobs and the gray stained wood slats. These grills are apparently where the pinstriped gray and maroon hoods you see sometimes came from. Later they used a similar style for the early Platinum grills but added the "Platinum" title.
JUOEVQS.jpg

Did you know that back in 1990 Weber offered a "built-in" grill?
dCJ5uF1.jpg

FANTASTIC!!! thx!!!!!!!

With all this talk about Chocolate Brown Hoods I figured I re-post this pic of my Junior as well as my 3200 wearing Brown-

sBwwpbH.jpg

Jeff

Back