1978 22" Kettle...need parts advice!!

MarkSiebel

TVWBB Fan
Fellow Kettle heads!

Just picked up this beauty!! Vintage....1978 (correct me if you think not?) 22" Weber Kettle. Based on the lid vent stampings, wheels, and larger bottom kettle vents, is how I date stamped 78'. If I got this year wrong...let me know!!

I'll be putting in new grates, wheels, and wooden handle. Q: The wood handle has (2) hole bolts instead of the later years of only (1). I most likely will fabricate a new wood handle...but curious if anyone knows where to get a original? or if Weber even still makes them? THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 1978 22in kettle 1.jpg
    1978 22in kettle 1.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 1978 22in kettle 2.jpg
    1978 22in kettle 2.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 1978 22in kettle 3.jpg
    1978 22in kettle 3.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 1978 22in kettle.jpg
    1978 22in kettle.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 35
I doubt Weber has any of those in stock but, you could always ask. But, there is always the guy in Deerfield (?) that has been discussed here before.
It will be a fun exercise to assemble the new parts, the cool thing about the 22” is everything will fit it no matter what the age! A Roti ring, Corn n’ Tater rack, GBS set, everything!
It will be great!

Mark, that is what is referred to as an MBH (metal bowl handle) kettle. It looks in Great shape. The triangle is usually rusted badly on the old ones. Because if it’s age I would be trying to keep it as original as possible so would try to sand and refinish that handle. And just use some Aerospace 303 on the wheels. Of course it is up to you. Brian at GrillHandles.com makes new handles for those I think. Check to see if it is screwed on or riveted. I think the older ones were riveted. You got a nice score there. Congrats!

Mark, that is what is referred to as an MBH (metal bowl handle) kettle. It looks in Great shape. The triangle is usually rusted badly on the old ones. Because if it’s age I would be trying to keep it as original as possible so would try to sand and refinish that handle. And just use some Aerospace 303 on the wheels. Of course it is up to you. Brian at GrillHandles.com makes new handles for those I think. Check to see if it is screwed on or riveted. I think the older ones were riveted. You got a nice score there. Congrats!
what do you mean by the "triangle"?

As Brad said, it is the triangle shaped piece that incorporates the rear axle and the wire rods that go to attach it to the front leg. In the early kettles it was a solid triangle shaped sheet metal tray. Hence "the triangle". :)

this one is called a MLH for metal lid handle and it has the solid metal triangle.
1594400821458.png

Everything you need is over at the Weber Kettle Club.

Interior and Exterior Kettle Cleaning

Ash Pan Clean Up and Polish Procedure

Cleaning and Polishing Old Aluminum Legs

Triangle Restoration and Rust Removal

Pinstripping Old Wheels

Weber Wood Handles

That kettle is sweet! Keep it original other than the grates. Don't replace those wheels! And I would also work on restoring the handle in place. You live in AZ, so it's not like it's going to see a ton of rain and snow. Heck, by the time you get it cleaned up (some sweat equity, very little expense), you might be able to sell it to a collector and buy a new master-touch or performer with the proceeds! Or better yet enjoy cooking on a 42 year old grill.

Everything you need is over at the Weber Kettle Club.

Interior and Exterior Kettle Cleaning

Ash Pan Clean Up and Polish Procedure

Cleaning and Polishing Old Aluminum Legs

Triangle Restoration and Rust Removal

Pinstripping Old Wheels

Weber Wood Handles

That kettle is sweet! Keep it original other than the grates. Don't replace those wheels! And I would also work on restoring the handle in place. You live in AZ, so it's not like it's going to see a ton of rain and snow. Heck, by the time you get it cleaned up (some sweat equity, very little expense), you might be able to sell it to a collector and buy a new master-touch or performer with the proceeds! Or better yet enjoy cooking on a 42 year old grill.

>> heck yeah!! I think I will just sand/spar urethane the handle!! and even though the wheels have the white weber logos torn off, I may just keep them original too! re: the color...this isn't weber traditional black...OR is it just faded? OR was there a grey/concrete color for year 78'?

According to the WKC site Weber changed to the single handle screw in 1981/1982. If yours has two then it is two rivets so it would be hard to remove. All the more reason to keep it original. And it is worth more to collectors too.

>> heck yeah!! I think I will just sand/spar urethane the handle!! and even though the wheels have the white weber logos torn off, I may just keep them original too! re: the color...this isn't weber traditional black...OR is it just faded? OR was there a grey/concrete color for year 78'?
They made quite a few different colors back then. Your's does not look like a black kettle that's been sun faded. Looks like it is one of those grey colors, but I'm not an expert on those oldies.

As far as I know Weber used white caps on the support leg until fairly recently. The newer kettles have a black cap that really makes more sense, but using a white cap on classic kettles is historically accurate:george:.
George Catalog.jpg
p.s. A number of old P.K. grills used RED caps. Anybody know where to get decent ones? I bought some from Amazon but they were cheap, rubbery plastic that turned orange and stretched out of shape.

thx!!! re: red caps...ACE is the place. Last time there, they had black and red in 1" :) If they don't have the red, you can always rustoleum spray paint if needed.

Back