18" WSM...Top Grate Too Small?

Gregg M.

TVWBB Member
I just noticed that my top grate on my new 18" WSM may be too small. I can push the grate far enough to one side where it will fall off one of the grate supports on the opposite ends. If I move meat around, I have to be careful not to let the grate drop.

Is this normal?

If the grate is 17.5" in diameter, it's the right grate. You just have to be carful to get it on all the tabs.

Top is 17.5" with handles, bottom is 17" without handles. If your top grate has handles and measures a lot less than 17.5", call Weber at 800-446-1071 for a free replacement.

Regards,
Chris

I measured the top grate and it is 17.25". I sent an email to weber and within 10 minutes I got a reply saying a new grate is on its way.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I, too, had this problem with the top grate (it was ever so slightly too small, so that it would fall off one of the grate supports if it was pushed all the way to one end). After reading through this topic, as well as an earlier thread, I decided to measure my top grate; it was the correct size (I took it to Home Depot and lined it up against the stock grates for 18" grills at the store -- it was identical).

I recently came up with a fix for this problem. I think the top of my middle section of the smoker must be slightly out-of-round, which is why the grate can slip off of one set of supports (on opposite sides of the smoker), but not the other. So I inserted metal washers between two of the the grate supports and the outside wall of the smoker. With one washer on each of the two supports (at opposite sides of the smoker), that "moved" the supports out just enough to solve the problem (and at a minimal cost of $0.26).

I ended up doing a similar fix as Brad. Instead of washers I actually put a nut between the inside of the main chamber and the grate support. Works just fine.

That's a good idea Brad and Gregg. I have the same issue you guys do, and hadn't thought of doing that. I will probably be doing this soon.

Me Too. Almost lost a couple pork butts when I was pulling on the bone and the grill dropped onto the middle rack.

Back