18" Top Vent

Jim Weber

TVWBB Fan
So...... I was smoking some chickens last week..... I went to close the vents when I was done to snuff out the coals and the top vent just spun all the way thru the stops..... The little ears/pegs that poke down into the vent holes broke off.... dammit.

I had inadvertently bent them a year or more ago when the top vent had gotten all gunked up with grease and was difficult to turn --- was able to bend them back down. A good cleaning with soapy water removed all the gunk so it moves freely now --- but I'm guessing that they have been fatiguing since.

Anyone have a line on a 'reasonably' priced vent replacement? Its horrifying to see what they charge for a cheap piece of aluminum..... I plan on just running it anyways until can find a cheap one. I keep dreaming of replacing the 3 hole vent with a 4 hole, but I don't think that is actually feasible without alot of work.

Did you contact weber?
People used to buy extra vents and put them on the lid of their WSM to give them more airflow to reach higher temperatures

I'm balancing the 'yeah - I want another vent' with the 'I don't want to eff it up in the long run'......
I'm hesitant to do anything that will compromise the porcelain coating of the lid - and drilling out holes for a vent is a bit too far for me at the moment.

If you want more heat by adding airflow why not just crack the lid by using a metal spatula?
That's what I do.
All the little tabs are gone on my 08 18.5" WSM vents. It works just fine without the blind-stop's.

I'm balancing the 'yeah - I want another vent' with the 'I don't want to eff it up in the long run'......
I'm hesitant to do anything that will compromise the porcelain coating of the lid - and drilling out holes for a vent is a bit too far for me at the moment.
Stick a chopstick under the lip, that will increase airflow, very low possibility of damage.

the little tab on mine broke last summer after several years of use, I just keep using it as is and just watch to make sure its in the closed position when done

Back