18" kettle vs the 22" kettle

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Anyone have both of these?

Does the larger grill consume more fuel than the smaller one during indirect cooks?

Might be hard question to answer.

I know the 22" model has room for more coals, but I assume the larger coal grate gives for more options about how to spread the coals out?

Quick answer...
Not by much.
I have both (picture in avatar) and use the 22 most of the time even for just my wife and I. The 18 gets used for side dishes and the like more than for the primary cook.
The 22 is more versatile for my purposes, all the accessories are made for it. I find myself using the rotisserie a lot.
If I had to choose one over the other, I'd get the 22.
But, that wasn't your question, the 22 might use a little more but, the return in more indirect (or direct) real estate is significant.
So, why do you ask?

So, why do you ask?

Actually, I used to own a 22 kettle grill. I purchased it around the 4th of July last year, but grilling on a 22" Weber compared to grilling on Brinkmann smoker was a shock (charcoal usage shock, this is). A large bag of Kingsford lasted me for months on the Brinkmann, but not so on the Weber.

I had 90 days to test the Weber, and after seeing an 18" kettle grill marked down to $31.00, I returned the big grill for the smaller one. I have enjoyed flipping burgers and grilling steaks on the 18" model, but there's not much room for indirect cooking after you drop in a drip pan. This method works, but there is not much room for charcoal.

Lately, some of the stores have marked down their Original Kettle Premium 22” grills to $75.00, and given the many kettle attachments I have seen in the past year on this forum, I was thinking about re-purchasing this grill again. Maybe if I use charcoal baskets on the 22" grill, I won't need as much charcoal like in the past. There's only the three of us here, but the big kettle sure does smoke a whole chicken very well from past experience.

Then again, I see the 14.5" WSM is on sale, too, so I have decisions to make. :D :confused:

You have to compare apples to apples, the smoker works in an entirely manner, as you well know. The shock from going from a dedicated smoker (Brinkman) to a grill, (Weber kettle) is a dramatic change in direction. I'm not surprised you were shocked. The 22 is not what one would call "miserly" but they are not the hogs some other grills use.
Learn to shut things down after every cook to snuff out and re use them, I buy probably stupid amounts of charcoal( to some not familiar with the grill addiction) when it's on sale and don't really see that I use vast quantities for any one cook.
I grill five or six days out of seven most of the warm weather and three to four in the snow, I may not be the norm but, I never said I was either. Like I've said, I use both some days when the feed is for six not just two. I will be using both for family dinner on Saturday. Spinning a pork loin on the 22, CI squashed baby spuds and maybe Brussels sprouts. The vegetable yet to be determined.

Then again, I see the 14.5" WSM is on sale, too, so I have decisions to make. :D :confused:

It sounds like the 18 does what you want/need to do in terms of grilling, but you want something more or less dedicated to indirect cooking/smoking? If that is the case, you would probably be best served by getting a WSM. Another option would be the Cajun Bandit Stacker, which sort of lets you convert your existing 18" kettle to a WSM-style cooker. At $150, it's more costly than a 22" kettle, but if space is an issue, the stacker ring will be easier to store.

FWIW, I don't have an 18" kettle, but I do have a Jumbo Joe. I've found that to be just about the perfect size when it's just the family eating and it's amazingly efficient for low-and-slow cooks. Last time I smoked a chuck roast on there, it ran at 260-275 for almost 7 hours on a total of 40 briquettes (25 to start - 5 of them lit, then added 5 coals each at about 1:45, 3:15 and 4:30). With a 14" WSM, you could probably get a similar cook time at a similar temp with the same amount of charcoal, but you could throw it all in at the beginning and not need to reload.

I just looked at your "equipment list" and am wondering why you are considering a smaller WSM? Is it (like many of us) just "I can think of times when that would be the right one" or something else; is this also true of the desire for the 22? Just curious.
@ Chad- Have you tried a "TipTop"?

We had an 18-incher that we gave to a grill-less friend that my wife had when we were married - got my performer for my 50th B-Day

I think that the 18-incher is great if you only use it occasionally or only do direct cooks (burgers, steaks, etc.)
also great as a 2nd grill if you like to entertain with cook-outs where you can do a simpler dish / appetizer on the smaller one.

It's NOT that you can't use it for indirect cooks - However, what I found to be problematic is:
You end-up with two very small piles of charcoal to feed the indirect heat and the charcoal in them gets used-up quickly so the DURATION suffers

Plus, Weber does not make a rotisserie for the 18-incher (maybe somebody else does) and that's one of my MUST-HAVES for my charcoal cooking.

If it's something that you plan to use on a regular basis - grab a 22 for the versatility and don't look back.

@ Chad- Have you tried a "TipTop"?

I have not. I did drill my JJ to attach my PartyQ to it. It did OK, but as the OP noted, the charcoal capacity vs. grate capacity becomes an issue. In other words, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to load up 6-8 hours worth of charcoal and still have adequate indirect grate space. Maybe with snake/fuse arrangement around the perimeter and a heat sink or diffuser in the middle it would work.

As stated, whatever nominal difference in fuel consumption is more than compensated for by the pure functionality of the 22"

The basic OTS or 'economy' kettle is everything you need. Really. A mindboggling value at $100 or less for a piece of equipment that lasts decades. The fact that in 60 years it has proven nearly impossible to improve upon the original design is an incredible testament to the genius of George Stephen.

I was a WSM diehard and competed hard with them, but now I'm working on a system where anyone who wants to compete but lacks equipment can put together a functional and competitive KCBS setup using just two econo kettles. Eliminating barriers to entry is the key to growth for the hobby/sport I love.

This is getting pretty interesting,
Chad, I ran a solid 250 for about six odd hours with about forty briquettes. I was pretty impressed with the duration. The end product would have gone to Rover if I owned a dog! But, it performed exactly as advertised. There's a bit of a learning curve which I am still climbing.
For 20 bucks, it's a neat piece of "Gyro Gearloose" technology.

This is getting pretty interesting,
Chad, I ran a solid 250 for about six odd hours with about forty briquettes. I was pretty impressed with the duration. The end product would have gone to Rover if I owned a dog! But, it performed exactly as advertised. There's a bit of a learning curve which I am still climbing.
For 20 bucks, it's a neat piece of "Gyro Gearloose" technology.

20 bucks is my 'what the hell' threshold for impulse purchases. I figure even if it doesn't work out at all it won't break me - I'll just punish myself for the bad purchasing decision by taking it out of the beer budget.

FWIW, I have run a 13 hour continuous burn at 225-260 on the basic kettle without any additional gadgets or having to mess with the fire once - Just sayin' :cool:

Same price point here, 20 is still "fun" more than that, becomes "this thing better do what it says"!
I have been grilling for most of my life and only since joining this forum have I become more obsessed with the "numbers", before that, I went with my gut and had very few shortfalls. I decided that I will have fun here but, not turn it into any bigger obsession. So far it's been OK but, I do see more things I want to cook!
The success's and failures all end up in the same place anyway.
I'm not cooking for competition, just for friends and family.

Last edited:
Same price point here, 20 is still "fun" more than that, becomes "this thing better do what it says"!
I have been grilling for most of my life and only since joining this forum have I become more obsessed with the "numbers", before that, I went with my gut and had very few shortfalls. I decided that I will have fun here but, not turn it into any bigger obsession. So far it's been OK but, I do see more things I want to cook!
The success's and failures all end up in the same place anyway.
I'm not cooking for competition, just for friends and family.

Actually, it's the friends and family dinner parties where I'm far more critical of myself than a KCBS judge has ever been...Always seeking the ever-elusive perfection.

You have to compare apples to apples, the smoker works in an entirely manner, as you well know. The shock from going from a dedicated smoker (Brinkmann) to a grill, (Weber kettle) is a dramatic change in direction.

Understood about comparing apples to apples, but the Brinkmann gives one the option of putting the charcoal pan directly underneath the top cooking grid, so, in effect, it morphs from a smoker to a grill - albeit a small one - even compared to the 18.5" kettle.

It was such a shock (coal-wise), I couldn't keep enough of heat in the 22" grill to accomplish anything worthwhile without using up my coal supply - and that was even going by Weber's recommendations.

I just looked at your "equipment list" and am wondering why you are considering a smaller WSM? Is it (like many of us) just "I can think of times when that would be the right one" or something else; is this also true of the desire for the 22? Just curious.

Charcoal economy.

Not that charcoal is too expensive, but I am wondering if I can smoke certain sizes of meats - either on the 22" kettle, or the 14.5" WSM - with less coals than I am currently using on the 18.5" WSM.

What were you trying to cook and to what degree of doneness?
Something in this equation does not make any sense at all.
At least, not to me.
I find the 22 quite reasonable as far as charcoal consumption, I guess I don't see the dilemma.
I think a more beneficial question for you is simply better charcoal management, no? Better fire control, snake method.
You have changed what the direction of the original question was from what I read.
Learning about management is something you will need to sort out, not what size grill to use.
Not trying to be nit picky but, that's just how I see it.

Last edited:
What were you trying to cook and to what degree of doneness?
Something in this equation does not make any sense at all.
At least, not to me.
I find the 22 quite reasonable as far as charcoal consumption, I guess I don't see the dilemma.
I think a more beneficial question for you is simply better charcoal management, no? Better fire control, snake method.
You have changed what the direction of the original question was from what I read.
Learning about management is something you will need to sort out, not what size grill to use.
Not trying to be nit picky but, that's just how I see it.

Whew, I can't remember, Tim.

Compared to the Brinkmann, the 22" was cavernous in size, and there was more space between the meat and the coals - which made it more difficult to sear meat.

It could be an issue with charcoal management.

Last edited:
Compared to the Brinkmann, the 22" was cavernous in size, and there was more space between the meat and the coals - which made it more difficult to sear meat.

There are ways to bring the charcoal closer. Get a second charcoal grate (they're about $10 or so?) and a couple bricks to raise it up on the existing one.

Back