14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Model 711001

Bad News. I finally got a chance to assemble mine. The door was caved in and the bottom bowl was drilled incorrectly causing stability issues. The legs are not equally spaced apart. Weber will not have the parts until the end of November. I'm wondering if I should just order another one and send this back.

IMG_20131015_113134_793_zpsd1b9f03e.jpg

IMG_20131015_120154_876_zps581a38a8.jpg

IMG_20131015_120211_372_zps6dc52106.jpg

IMG_20131015_120203_369_zpsfe79b8ca.jpg

IMG_20131015_154501_655_zps0acae8fa.jpg

IMG_20131015_154531_827_zpsb0b911ef.jpg

IMG_20131015_154716_569_zps98796a01.jpg

I had to look for a while at the picture of the bottom before I finally saw how it was out of whack

What a shame, I hope this is not emblematic of their QC

Anyone notice Amazon link on the site used to say "Usually Ships In 3-5 Weeks" Now it says "Usually Ships In 1 To 2 Months" ........:eek:

The 14.5 WSM looks like the perfect multi-device for camping. Can anyone tell me if one could leave out the middle section and use it as a grill? Will a grate fit on the lower section? If not could a little modification with some bolts hold the grate? It'd be great to be able to take one grill with me and be able to both grill and smoke. There's just not enough room to bring stove, grill and smoker.

Thanks!

The 14.5 WSM looks like the perfect multi-device for camping. Can anyone tell me if one could leave out the middle section and use it as a grill? Will a grate fit on the lower section? If not could a little modification with some bolts hold the grate? It'd be great to be able to take one grill with me and be able to both grill and smoke. There's just not enough room to bring stove, grill and smoker.
We do this with the 18.5" WSM, it would be the same with the 14.5". Here's an article on grilling with the WSM...see the very bottom of the page for the "Weber Egg" configuration that shows what you're describing, a grate on the lower section.

Grilling on the Weber Bullet

I had my first smoke in mine this weekend, the BBQ Barn in Arlington MA got in 8 of them. I seasoned it on Friday and the temp held steady for 5 hours at 250, the charcoal ring was probably 4/5 full of KBB, no wind and 60 degrees. For the first cook I filled the ring full with about 20 lit coals on the top, it was 45 degrees and windy about 20-30 mph. The temp kept dropping until I put some wood around it, so it seem sensitive to the wind.
Cook came out good, I dropped the ribs on the Silver B at the end just to get a bit of crunch.

great idea raising it up on blocks. when you season it are you "burning off manufacturing residue" with nothing in it, or are you loading with fattty meats to develop a greasy residue to seal it and control temps better?

On seasoning, I had a couple very questionable hot dogs, so I put them in a pan of Olive oil mixed with vegetable oil and let them cook until cremated, about 4 hours. It put a nice coating inside the unit.

I think the smaller bottom section is more susceptible to wind than the 22. also on my SJG mini there were only 2 vents this has 3 so you can get more of a cross breeze. I will be doing more experimenting this weekend.

On seasoning, I had a couple very questionable hot dogs, so I put them in a pan of Olive oil mixed with vegetable oil and let them cook until cremated, about 4 hours. It put a nice coating inside the unit.

I think the smaller bottom section is more susceptible to wind than the 22. also on my SJG mini there were only 2 vents this has 3 so you can get more of a cross breeze. I will be doing more experimenting this weekend.

Apparently I will too, mine shipped!

Bad News. I finally got a chance to assemble mine. The door was caved in and the bottom bowl was drilled incorrectly causing stability issues. The legs are not equally spaced apart. Weber will not have the parts until the end of November. I'm wondering if I should just order another one and send this back.

Update - All parts have arrived. Fit and finish is perfect.

Back