14.5 vs 18.5

2 racks on top grate of 14.5, two more would fit on bottom rack. Having the 22.5 and the 14.5 and a mini I feel I am covered, but this summer will tell for sure

Since I wrote my post (early in this thread) I have added a 14.5" WSM to my stable. It has the same capacity as the Mini-Joe - that is to say, you can do 8 half racks of ribs, or two 8-9 lbs. Boston butts (or four if you stand them up) or LOTS of chicken wings, etc. These are FINE smokers, no mistake. The capacity of these smokers (all sizes) continue to amaze me. In fact, I just did seventeen pounds of Boston Butts on my 14.5 a few days ago. The pulled pork was WONDERFUL!

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?49200-Breaking-in-the-14-5-WSM

For the average small family, the Mini-Joe or 14.5" WSM is plenty. I like having my three to play with. After all, they do NOT cost a fortune and last twenty or more years (more than I can say about the typical gas grill (not a Weber - they last well, too, but are pricey).

My smokers will outlast me, no doubt...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
I agree the Weber grills last, my Silver B is about 14 years old (I think) and I am finally going to have to replace the crossover bar, the flame bars are fine. I have replaced the flavorizor bars as I had the metal ones that rusted out I guess you have to clean them once a decade, now I have the stainless bars and the cast iron grates, I cook year round but from Nov to April it is too cold to clean the grill so when it lights up and catches fire all over, well that is my cleaning

After just the one smoke with the 14.5 I wouldn't trust it to go overnight. The 18.5 I can trust to hold temperature while I catch 4-6 hours of sleep. With the 14.5 I would set my alarm to wake me up after 2 or 2.5 hours simply because I don't yet trust it to go longer than that without me checking on it.

Just did an 8# butt on my mini last Saturday and it went 9+ hours at 240-250 on one load of KBB at about 8 hours it dropped to 220-225 but it made it. It was dead still outside and warm which helped.

Back