12 cents a kWh?

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
1646878215990.png

I get that elec costs in CA are high.

I'm wondering what elec costs are in other places.

Does anyone have costs under 12 cents per kWh?

Sure, on paper it's less than half that here in Illinois. What that means in reality can't tell you since a low electric bill for me is currently around $200. That's with almost 100% LED lighting and energy star appliances. I know there other variables but come on. Edit: sorry, I was looking at old figures. The cost per kw/h in January was 15.3 cents here.

Last edited:
Our's are all over the place. I usually do a 2 year contract. You can buy electricity wholesale in Texas. If you did that during last years cold snap when the grid failed, you'd be broke. I generally pay a little more but my price is way less volatile. It looks like I pay 12.3

Rarely does our electric bill go over $60.00 even in the summer with the a/c running. Last month it was $0.06 per KWH

We live in CA and in WA.
I forgot the exact numbers but do remember that our WA place is 1/4 the cost of our place in the SF Bay Area for a kwh.
Maybe something like $0.08-$0.10 compared to $0.36-$0.40.
WA has lots of fair priced hydro electricity.

These price guesstimates were from 4 years ago when we bought our cabin up north.
No telling what this inflation situation has done to that.

Best thing I ever did was set up electronic billing and all my bills to be auto-paid. I haven't paid this much attention to an electric bill in years. Thanks, @DanHoo.

• $0.0945 per kwh for First 400 kwhs per billing period
  • $0.0750 per kwh for Next 1400 kwhs per billing period
  • $0.0565 per kwh for Over 1800 kwhs per billing period
The above is from the co-op we are with. Others in the immediate area have to use another power company with different rates as shown below. My cost went way down when I moved as the summer rates are a lot cheaper.

Summer Rate (June through September)(1) Customer Charge - per month $9.00 Low-Income Pilot Program Charge – per month $0.14 Energy Charge - per kWh 12.96¢
Winter Rate (October through May)(1) Customer Charge - per month $9.00 Low-Income Pilot Program Charge – per month $0.14 Energy Charge - per kWh First 750 kWh 8.81¢ Over 750 kWh 5.91¢

Best thing I ever did was set up electronic billing and all my bills to be auto-paid. I haven't paid this much attention to an electric bill in years. Thanks, @DanHoo.
Your question about freezer use led me to looking at the usage sticker shown above, and when I read 12 cents per kWh I was thinking mine is almost 3 times that, on average.

Your question about freezer use led me to looking at the usage sticker shown above, and when I read 12 cents per kWh I was thinking mine is almost 3 times that, on average.
I was trying to be funny/sarcastic. For so many years while the kids were growing up, I used to sweat the bills. Now it's just the wife and I.

Last edited:
I was trying to be funny/sarcastic. For so many years while the kids were growing up, I used to sweat the bills. Now it's just the wife and I.
I know where you're coming from. When my eldest daughter left home, our electric bill (all electric home at the time), literally was cut in half. Amazingly, when the youngest went off to college, we really didn't notice much difference.

Back