00 Silver B Restore

Jimie

Just completed my project to restore a 2000 Silver B. Want to thank everyone on this board. The content and information on previous threads and how-to's guided me on this journey.

My search for a new grill started on Mother's Day. I planned to grill some steaks, but my 10 year old Char-Broil succumbed to the elements and years of use.The firebox, burners, grates, flavor bars, were all rusted and brittle. It was a housewarming gift and served us well. I put it up on CL for Free and it was gone in 2 hours. It was time to find a new grill. I almost pulled the trigger on the Costco S-345, but didn't want to spend $1000. I then almost bought the Ace Hardware open cart version. Still, paying that much was tough.

Which led me to TVWBB. I spent hours reading, then started to search CL, FBM, Offerup, Nextdoor, etc. I found one on Nextdoor. Ad said free weber gas grill. No picture, no details, but that it was at the top of their driveway. I saw the listing a few times, it was over a week old. Finally, asked if still available and if there was info on Model and Pictures. Sent one picture of green lid Silver B. Took it home that night.

I got lucky with this one. FB's were toast, SS stamped grate was borderline. The warming rack and basket were rusted...tossed them, likely won't replace. The Firebox had it's fair share of gunk and the lid mild carbon. It was easy to clean. The end caps had some paint flaking and the frame was fine....no signs of rust.

For those looking into doing this for the first time. I say do it. Here's what I did, or would do differently in the future.
  • Firebox - I scraped the FB inside and out. I have limited tools and space in my garage. I borrowed an angle grinder from a friend. When I picked it up, it was a 7" w/ a sanding/polishing wheel. I couldn't find a cup brush in that size, so I went for it. Turned out fine
  • Firebox bolt was a pain. I used PB blaster a few times and let it sit
  • End Caps, since the angle grinder I used was too large, I sanded and degreased as much as possible, before painting. It's not as smooth as I want it. I would definitely do this differently next time. I also have 3 little kids and didn't want to deal w/ shards of wire brush in the garage. The pic of the left side, you'll see some of the rough paint
  • End cap bolts were also a pain, halfway through I used wd40 and sprayed all bolts/nuts ahead of time. Went way faster the 2nd side, than the first
  • Manifold - cleaned valves and painted black
  • Restored Emblem, used PVC
  • Paint
    • Firebox - Rustoleum HH
    • End Caps - Rustoleum HH Ultra
    • Frame - Rustoleum HH Ultra
    • Manifold - Rustoleum HH Ultra
    • Bottom Rack, Drip Pan, Drip Pan Holder - HH Ultra
  • Side Tables, Control Knobs, Ignition Button, Lid Handle - soaked in Dawn for several hours, then scrubbed. Treated w/ a Aerospace 303 wipe to restore and treat
  • Replaced Hardware w/ SS - this was the toughest part. I would recommend to other newcomers to secure your SS Hardware ahead of time. My local hardware stores and Home Depots didn't have the size/type I needed. It'll save you a ton of trips
  • Replaced Burners and Igniter w/ BBQParts.com equivalent
  • Replace FB and Grates w/ RCP. Dave's shop is 10 mins from me, so it was easy pickup
I definitely learned a lot doing this and continue to keep my eye out for a Blue Lid. I also like the previous models w/ the wood slats, so maybe that'll be in my future. I've already missed out on 2 free blue lid Silver Bs.

Thanks for reading.IMG_4585.jpgIMG_4586.jpgIMG_4587.jpgIMG_4588.jpgIMG_4589.jpgIMG_4590.jpgIMG_4591.jpgIMG_4592.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! And lucky to have RC's shop 10 mins. away from you...just think of it, if he could fabricate a cabinet for the EXXX sidewinders you'd have a kick *** grill!

Very nice with the finished project. I picked up a free Craigslist Silver B in Blue this past Friday. I pulled it apart today with the intent of painting the sides and outside firebox. I'll probably do a bit of touch up painting on the cart too. I found these Weber's are pretty easy to work on/restore - this blue top is my third restore in the past two months.IMG_20200612_195112437.jpg

Was that the one posted on CL in Oakland on Friday afternoon?

Very nice with the finished project. I picked up a free Craigslist Silver B in Blue this past Friday. I pulled it apart today with the intent of painting the sides and outside firebox. I'll probably do a bit of touch up painting on the cart too. I found these Weber's are pretty easy to work on/restore - this blue top is my third restore in the past two months.View attachment 6961

First rate restore, if I was buying a gas grill today this the model I would go for. The other is this with the side burner. Congrats.

That's the one - guy lived in the Oakland Hills on a very narrow road. I missed out on another free red top Genesis earlier in the week from a girl in Berkeley. The lady told me that I could pick it up since I was the first to respond, but I couldn't make it there that night. She gave it to someone else. I made sure I didn't miss out on this one.

Beautiful restoration Jimie! I love the green lid. Now get yourself a rotisserie, if you don’t have one, and start making that baby dirty again. It’ll be the best rotisserie chicken you’ve ever had.

That's the one - guy lived in the Oakland Hills on a very narrow road. I missed out on another free red top Genesis earlier in the week from a girl in Berkeley. The lady told me that I could pick it up since I was the first to respond, but I couldn't make it there that night. She gave it to someone else. I made sure I didn't miss out on this one.

Nice score. I was about to hop in the car Friday.

Nice score. I was about to hop in the car Friday.
Looks like you may have replaced the hardware (nuts and bolts) on the lid sides. What type/size of hardware did you use? I have nine rusted out nuts for my lid. I may replace the nuts and bolts if I can find a good substitute. I think my bolts are OK, but I'll change everything if it's easier.

Used this as my guide to find at local hardware stores. Ultimately, ordered from them directly. If you go this route, get your firebox bolt and clevis puns. Save yourself having to hunt and make trips to stores.

Looks like you may have replaced the hardware (nuts and bolts) on the lid sides. What type/size of hardware did you use? I have nine rusted out nuts for my lid. I may replace the nuts and bolts if I can find a good substitute. I think my bolts are OK, but I'll change everything if it's easier.

Great job on a first grill rehab. I don't think my first one was that good. I am pulling for you to find that blue lid.

Appreciate that, @Bruce. I researched a ton. Read a lot of your posts. So thank you. Yes. I am actively looking!

Great job on a first grill rehab. I don't think my first one was that good. I am pulling for you to find that blue lid.

Last edited:
Jimie.

I have that exact same grill with the green lid. Bought it new in 00 and still going strong. But yours looks nicer than mine.

That is a premium model. Came with SS bars (the originals still going strong in my grill) and stamped SS grates (which I swapped out for pcci and GrillGrates). And also the second swing up table, which I find to be super useful.
Think we will both get 20 years out of them.

Had my first cook w/ the grill on Saturday. Made rib eyes and potatoes. This thing gets ripping hot quickly. Now I need to learn the "cook" on this grill. I'm used to my previous grill's hot spots and intricacies.

Definitely interested in a rotisserie for chicken and porchetta.

Had my first cook w/ the grill on Saturday. Made rib eyes and potatoes. This thing gets ripping hot quickly. Now I need to learn the "cook" on this grill. I'm used to my previous grill's hot spots and intricacies.

Definitely interested in a rotisserie for chicken and porchetta.
Do the toast test with a cheap loaf of bread to learn your grill.

https://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2017/03/toast-test-visualizing-your-grills-hot-spots/

OneGrill makes rotisserie kits for older Webers. I think the Weber 9890 will fit your grill; they pop up on ebay regularly. I bought mine from ebay. Weber may also sell a new one that will still fit the older models.

Back