“Italian dressing” chicken quarters

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Homemade Italian dressing chicken quarters. Slit the tops of the chicken for faster seasoning penetration.

SPG, paprika, pepper flakes, sugar, ACV, seasoned rice vinegar and cooking oil.

Going over some JD coals.

Countertop marinating.

1676339782858.jpeg

And your and my favorite, chicken vermicelli rice with mustard seeds.

1676340158484.jpeg

Getting some sear on the CI

1676340810057.jpeg

Threw on three eggplants too for babaganoush.

1676341123355.jpeg

Some oven roasted beets I cooked off this weekend.

1676342155159.jpeg

Almost at final temp. Last sear.

1676344198984.jpeg

Tented and resting for 5 mins

1676344629429.jpeg

Last edited:
Beets are a huge favorite around here! I haven’t done any in a few weeks, it’s time!
Love beets. I plant a load of them most every spring and the wife pickles most of them. After a jar of pickled beets has been eaten, the sweet brine makes the best pickled eggs. Love the greens too and often cook them with some beets if she leaves me any. Butter, salt, pepper and a little vinegar. Mmmmmmmmm!

Homemade Italian dressing chicken quarters. Slit the tops of the chicken for faster seasoning penetration.

SPG, paprika, pepper flakes, sugar, ACV, seasoned rice vinegar and cooking oil.

Going over some JD coals.

Countertop marinating.

View attachment 66343

And your and my favorite, chicken vermicelli rice with mustard seeds.

View attachment 66344

Getting some sear on the CI

View attachment 66345

Threw on three eggplants too for babaganoush.

View attachment 66346

Some oven roasted beets I cooked off this weekend.

View attachment 66348

Almost at final temp. Last sear.

View attachment 66349

Tented and resting for 5 mins

View attachment 66350
Those look mighty tasty Brett!

Looks like we'll be back up to the mid 50s Sunday and almost no wind. Think I'll break out the Santa Maria and cook some up. Probably try some well-seasoned Mulberry wood along with the lump.

Looking good Brett.
I had my first que on Sunday in a week.....and nothing planned until at least Thursday....which is no plans yet.....we will see.....
Getting low on JD and starter cubes.....my place to order from has been out 2 times in the last 3 months......just waiting...trying to wait until the snow goes away but just getting it while in stock seems like the best option right now.

Looking good Brett.
I had my first que on Sunday in a week.....and nothing planned until at least Thursday....which is no plans yet.....we will see.....
Getting low on JD and starter cubes.....my place to order from has been out 2 times in the last 3 months......just waiting...trying to wait until the snow goes away but just getting it while in stock seems like the best option right now.
i've seen JD out at my disti in the off season. i'm sure they're raming up deliveries now as grilling season is fast approaching. i've already seen KF at local stores and our Costco has products for grilling/outdoor cooking up and going already.

Nice cook Brett, Barb and I do the same with thighs. I haven't had beets since I left Illinois some 60 years ago used to be a staple back in the day.

Got a recipe for the chicken vermicelli rice?
sure do. had to look up what amounts i used so i can reply with details.

3 Tbs unsalted or salted butter (i use unsalted, salt is something to watch for in your stock our bullion, more deets to follow)
3 Tbs cooking oil
1/3 cup vermicelli
1.5 cups basmati rice - we prefer basmati for its texture, long strand grain and less starchy feel/bite
3 Tbs mustard seeds (optional but we really like it)
1 tsp ground turmeric (optional, this is used to make the rice more yellow on the finished product
3 tsp chicken bullion (i use Knorr brand in a screw top plastic jar) - the amount of bullion will depend on your bullion. the Knorr calls for 1 tsp per cup of water, thus 3 tsps here.
3 1/3 cups of water, only if you're using chicken bullion. if no bullion then 3 1/3 cups chicken stock - be aware of your salt in your chicken stock

melt butter and oil in a sauce pan (3 qts size pan works well)
as butter and oil are melting/heating, add in vermicelli, rice, mustard seeds, turmeric and chicken bullion powder and stir while cooking on medium high heat.
stir consistently and toast all these ingredients until the vermicelli start to turn a brown color. the rice will also smell nutty as you coat and toss all these ingredients. be aware that the mustard seeds can begin to pop as they toast. if you're hearing a lot of popping, just lower the temp a little.
once at desired toastiness, around 3-4 minutes depending on your burner's heat output, add all the liquid, either water if you're using bullion or chicken stock if not using bullion.
BE AWARE that you're adding liquid to a very hot pan. the liquid will vaporize AND CAN BURN you (steam burn) if you're unaware of how to add liquids to a hot pan (and one that has oil in it). i prefer to add the liquid as the burner is off and pouring the liquid into the pan towards the edge of the pan so my hand is not above the pan, but off to the side of the pan. this prevents getting a steam burn. yes, i've steamed my hands before so this warning comes with prior experience.
place the pan with all the contents and water on a medium high fire, stir to incorporate the entire mixture.
cover with pan lid and keep on medium high
depending on your cooktop's temp, once you see steam coming out of the lidded pan (around 2-3 minutes, usually), place pot on a burner on a low temp setting. i use a less powerful burner as all burners at low are not equal. not a simmering burner, but a regular output burner but on LOW.
leave covered and let cook for 10 minutes.
after 10 minutes, shut all heat off and DO NOT OPEN TO PEEK. let the rice rest for 10 minutes in its pan, LIDDED.

after the 10 minute resting period, you can uncover and fork the rice to separate all the grains and evenly mix back in the mustard seeds as sometimes they will float to the top of the rice when low cooking the rice.

serve and enjoy. goes very well with any chicken dish or grilled veggies too.

NOTES: chicken bullion can be salty. i use unsalted butter to reduce oversalting due to the bullion. if you're using a chicken stock instead of bullion, i'd recco a low salt stock. once you combine the dry and wet ingredients, you can taste the liquid if you need more salt, add some at this point. salt bomb rice is never fun. so i've perfected making this rice and haven't had salt bombed rice on 20+ years now, thankfully.

post any pics of you cook this, please.

Nice cook Brett, Barb and I do the same with thighs. I haven't had beets since I left Illinois some 60 years ago used to be a staple back in the day.
washed, bottom cut flat, 5 into heavy duty foil, a little cooking oil over the top, fully seal and bake (with a tray underneath them if your foil is torn) for around 90-120 minutes in a 325F oven. i cooked these as i made sourdough croutons so maximized the oven use instead of single use cooking.

placed them in the fridge overnight and then rubbed the skins off the next day and sliced them in a bowl to reduce the mess they can make. sweet and flavorful. we love beets!!!

Last edited:
Love the narrative on the rice Brett. We use only unsalted butter, bullion and stock, can always add salt but can't take it away.
Will be trying that rice recipe for sure. As far as the beets go, really don't remember them that much, but then again I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. :unsure:

Love the narrative on the rice Brett. We use only unsalted butter, bullion and stock, can always add salt but can't take it away.
Will be trying that rice recipe for sure. As far as the beets go, really don't remember them that much, but then again I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. :unsure:
thanks, @Rich Dahl.

beets are super versatile. eat them as a side, in a salad, add to a soup, toss in some vinegar for additional flavor and shelf life (in the fridge). as a kid, no one would eat beets. my parents bought them in cans or jars. fresh cooked ones are so good. a great alternative to a potato or broccoli or cauliflower. kinda get bored of the same sides all the time. so beets freshen up the meal. oh, shredded too as an appetizer. along with hummus, or egg salad. just a bunch of small sides for a lunch is good too.

3 Tbs unsalted or salted butter (i use unsalted, salt is something to watch for in your stock our bullion, more deets to follow)
3 Tbs cooking oil
1/3 cup vermicelli
1.5 cups basmati rice - we prefer basmati for its texture, long strand grain and less starchy feel/bite
1 tsp ground turmeric (optional, this is used to make the rice more yellow on the finished product
3 tsp chicken bullion (i use Knorr brand in a screw top plastic jar) - the amount of bullion will depend on your bullion. the Knorr calls for 1 tsp per cup of water, thus 3 tsps here.
3 1/3 cups of water, only if you're using chicken bullion. if no bullion then 3 1/3 cups chicken stock - be aware of your salt in your chicken stock

as butter and oil are melting/heating, add in vermicelli, rice, mustard seeds, turmeric and chicken bullion powder and stir while cooking on medium high heat.
stir consistently and toast all these ingredients until the vermicelli start to turn a brown color. the rice will also smell nutty as you coat and toss all these ingredients. be aware that the mustard seeds can begin to pop as they toast. if you're hearing a lot of popping, just lower the temp a little.
once at desired toastiness, around 3-4 minutes depending on your burner's heat output, add all the liquid, either water if you're using bullion or chicken stock if not using bullion.
BE AWARE that you're adding liquid to a very hot pan. the liquid will vaporize AND CAN BURN you (steam burn) if you're unaware of how to add liquids to a hot pan (and one that has oil in it). i prefer to add the liquid as the burner is off and pouring the liquid into the pan towards the edge of the pan so my hand is not above the pan, but off to the side of the pan. this prevents getting a steam burn. yes, i've steamed my hands before so this warning comes with prior experience.
place the pan with all the contents and water on a medium high fire, stir to incorporate the entire mixture.
depending on your cooktop's temp, once you see steam coming out of the lidded pan (around 2-3 minutes, usually), place pot on a burner on a low temp setting. i use a less powerful burner as all burners at low are not equal. not a simmering burner, but a regular output burner but on LOW.
after 10 minutes, shut all heat off and DO NOT OPEN TO PEEK. let the rice rest for 10 minutes in its pan, LIDDED.

after the 10 minute resting period, you can uncover and fork the rice to separate all the grains and evenly mix back in the mustard seeds as sometimes they will float to the top of the rice when low cooking the rice.

NOTES: chicken bullion can be salty. i use unsalted butter to reduce oversalting due to the bullion. if you're using a chicken stock instead of bullion, i'd recco a low salt stock. once you combine the dry and wet ingredients, you can taste the liquid if you need more salt, add some at this point. salt bomb rice is never fun. so i've perfected making this rice and haven't had salt bombed rice on 20+ years now, thankfully.

Italian dressing chicken, one of my favorites! Thanks for the recipe for homemade Rice a Roni, the SF Treat! 😍

Italian dressing chicken, one of my favorites! Thanks for the recipe for homemade Rice a Roni, the SF Treat! 😍
We were east coast. Rice a Roni was expensive.

My recipe is based on this childhood favorite!

2630775921_2db9db108f_z.jpg

We’d down 2 of these boxes with chicken cutlets, fried in a pan. Sooooo good! And sooooo unhealthy.

3 Tbs cooking oil
1/3 cup vermicelli

Looks great - Quick question...Vermicelli: We talking thin spaghetti/angel hair you break into pieces, similar to fideo? Or like a SE Asian rice noodle? If we're thinking Rice-A-Roni, I have some pasta I can break up.

Looks great - Quick question...Vermicelli: We talking thin spaghetti/angel hair you break into pieces, similar to fideo? Or like a SE Asian rice noodle? If we're thinking Rice-A-Roni, I have some pasta I can break up.
I use these:

1676584079105.png
These are like $.39/.49 a bag at the grocery store. 8 oz or 7 oz bag as shown above.

Last edited:
you can break up pasta, just know that the water/liquid might need to be increased in the recipe depending how much liquid any pasta will absorb when it's cooked. the recipe listed above uses the MX Fideo style vermicelli. This specific product is really inexpensive here in CA so i always have a few bags on hand. and it's size, texture, density works well with basmati rice. i'd say the basmati rice is super key to the desired result. it's just a great rice grain to cook with and it has excellent flavor and starch properties (jasmine is too starchy/clumpy IMO).

post your results, please, when you get there. hopefully i've armed you with enough data to achieve success.

and for the mustard seeds, i buy these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPP5BVG/?tag=tvwb-20

i also grind these seeds for when i make mustard, or need mustard powder in a recipe or rub.

Back