“How old is this grill” challenge.

TomRc

TVWBB Pro
I brought this grill home yesterday. I offered to pre-pay the seller’s asking price of $50 electronically on Friday based solely on the pictures here which were posted with the ad since I couldn’t get there to pick it up right away and the seller accepted the deal. It’s still in the back of the truck and, with life being as busy as it is of late, it will remain under the tonneau cover for another day or two before I get a chance to unload it. This seems like a good time and place to have some fun by asking the other vets here on the forum to chime in with some visual clues that would help us date this thing in the interim. I found several rather quickly, myself. One clue per comment with any supporting description, please. I’ll chime back in with a serial number once it’s unloaded (if there is one intact). Ready, set, Go!.....

B9EA27AF-D687-4864-A206-3C213E224FD9.pngE284F708-4B7C-43C6-B793-86E250DEF3AA.pngDC8E0AFF-C31E-4201-8E64-2A2C765E1E1D.png

Ok Tom, I like playing games and you said only one clue per comment. Fine, I'm going to go with one of the more obscure clues which is the frameless igniter switch. This tells me that the grill is a very early Genesis 2 model. It may even be as old as an 85 or 86 model but I don't remember exactly which ones had the flame check switch that they eliminated later on. Oh, and I will also add that it's in extremely nice condition for it's age and I would be jealous except I know you are going to resell it anyway.

There are a good five or six clues as to the vintage of that beauty, it is missing a piece however. What is it?

Let’s talk about something that is not visible in the picture...the LP hose connection. I’m assuming it is the original but might be wrong as it has the old style that requires a wrench. Does anyone know when they made the switch to the quick disconnect? I will confess that I don’t know.

Let’s talk about something that is not visible in the picture...the LP hose connection. I’m assuming it is the original but might be wrong as it has the old style that requires a wrench. Does anyone know when they made the switch to the quick disconnect? I will confess that I don’t know.
Yeah, I don't know either. My 98 had the quick disconnect, but I know there was at least one different fitting before that.

I am just going to go with the late 80's. I can't pin it down. But, at any rate, it likely doesn't have one of the kinds of serial numbers that directly represents a year of manufacture.
What I can say with some certainty is that it is a beautiful specimen of a grill that is likely 35 years old.

Near identical to my original Genesis 2 I gave the SIL. I bought it brand new 92 and it was a closeout from previous year. So early 90's though I cannot see if there are casters. As the early 2000 had casters. I know because my dad bought one of the first ones in 93. Wood slats but with casters. The X000 line then began coming with Durawood I think 94 or so
It it was an 80's baby it would not have the narrow vertical slats

My old Genesis 1000 was a 1993 model with durawood. But that style of thermometer on that grill definitely predates my grill...that is why I said late 80's...I too would like to know if it has caster wheels or not. I am thinking NO.

I would say it's pre-1742, as there isn't any reference to Celsius on the burner knob panel.

Near identical to my original Genesis 2 I gave the SIL. I bought it brand new 92 and it was a closeout from previous year. So early 90's though I cannot see if there are casters. As the early 2000 had casters. I know because my dad bought one of the first ones in 93. Wood slats but with casters. The X000 line then began coming with Durawood I think 94 or so
It it was an 80's baby it would not have the narrow vertical slats
No casters.

Back