Disaster averted and egg on my face

I received the Kona brush and used it on my gasser Wednesday evening. It is sturdy. Its not gonna bend no matter how much pressure applied. It did not clean my grill as quickly as a standard wire brush , but it got it done. I was gonna use it a few more times before concluding anything.

They offer special instructions for use. In this vid, they have the grill flipped over, I use the flat side of the grill and the brush did not work as well as it would in their vid.

Those grates are totally upside down. Not sure why anyone would want to use the grates with the cross bars sticking up in the field bars

Do any of you use this? https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01B3L1Q7A/tvwb-20

If so, what has been your experience on a variety of grates?

Yes, I have one of these. It is specifically designed to "sweep out" the lower parts of GrillGrates. For that it works very well. I use one of those wood things to scrape the flat tops, but grease and small bits that fall off wind up getting incinerated in the lower part. This lets you easily brush them to the back keeping the vent holes open. The material works on warm but not scorching hot grates. I don't know if it would be very useful on stainless rod or even cast iron grates, although cast iron like on the Q where there are some solid flat areas to protect the burners below would probably benefit.

Those grates are totally upside down. Not sure why anyone would want to use the grates with the cross bars sticking up in the field bars

Larry,
I agree those grates are upside down, at least to the extent that the cross bars would suggest their primary use would be flat side up. But, as I have posted earlier, I use them my old style Weber OEM cast iron with the pointed sides up. These grates don't have any crossbar or other suggestion that I am wrong. In fact, the trademarking would actually tend to point to pointed side up. It is all a matter of opinion which does better.

You might remember my "LarryGrates" experiments. Here are my Weber OEM with one side flat up and other pointed up. For me, I like the pointed side. You and others may well see it differently, but I can see why I choose to do it this way.

a5fi1e.jpg

I prefer fat side up, pointy side down when using cast iron. Of course, now that I've gone RC, I don't need a brush (using the chagron) and the grates are completely fantastic!

I haven't used cast iron grates in years and don't expect to ever again. But when I did i preferred the pointed side up. I know Webers official stance is flat side up though.

Looks good, but I would be a little skeptical of the durability of that thing. It seems the head on it isn't all that thick of SS.

I haven't used cast iron grates in years and don't expect to ever again. But when I did i preferred the pointed side up. I know Webers official stance is flat side up though.

Greg,

I am always dreaming up tests and comparisons that I never have time to do, but I have most of what I need for one last one. I mentioned salvaging thick stainless bar grates from my Summit fiascos. I plan (after April 15) to cut them down to fit in a Genesis 1000 or Silver. When I get that done, I am hope to use my Skyline for an all-out, unbiased as possible, showdown between cast iron on one side and thick stainless bars on the other. I know it won't be "rcplanebuyer" but my Summit grates are, I believe, the same thickness and so will at least be a close proximity. I am very open minded and curious myself. I have a real affection for cast iron, but maybe it is just sentimental. Hopefully I will have some concrete results that will answer that.

Maybe I can then let the winner take on GrillGrates:rolleyes:;)!

Looks good, but I would be a little skeptical of the durability of that thing. It seems the head on it isn't all that thick of SS.

I agree. It looks a bit flimsy. But then again, I'm in my 40's and think everything I see out there is garbage these days.

Yeah it doesn't look as robust as the chargon. It is all 300 series stainless though so it might be tougher than it looks. It does look like it might clean the underside of the grates even better than the chargon.

That one also looks interesting. I picked the Chargon because of the positive experiences some of you guys reported. It would be interesting if anyone here takes a chance on one of these to hear what they think based on actual use.

Greg,

I am always dreaming up tests and comparisons that I never have time to do, but I have most of what I need for one last one. I mentioned salvaging thick stainless bar grates from my Summit fiascos. I plan (after April 15) to cut them down to fit in a Genesis 1000 or Silver. When I get that done, I am hope to use my Skyline for an all-out, unbiased as possible, showdown between cast iron on one side and thick stainless bars on the other. I know it won't be "rcplanebuyer" but my Summit grates are, I believe, the same thickness and so will at least be a close proximity. I am very open minded and curious myself. I have a real affection for cast iron, but maybe it is just sentimental. Hopefully I will have some concrete results that will answer that.

Maybe I can then let the winner take on GrillGrates:rolleyes:;)!

Jon that would be an interesting showdown. I would really look forward to it.

But I have to say in my experience I don't see much difference between cast iron and stainless rod grates from a cooking/grilling standpoint. Both worked great for me. My reason for greatly preferring stainless is the durability and ease of cleaning.

That one tool would only work if the grates are spaced pretty far. As for the older Summit grates yes, those are exactly the same as RC's grates. As for the CI Weber has made it clear which orientation should be used because of the cross bar sticking up. Using them like that would make them VERY hard to use IMO

The Kona brush would work well on the grate as they have it in that vid. It has these round cones that would fit nicely into the grooves. I suspect it would also work well on Grill Grates.

I have always assumed that the photo on the box indicates the correct orientation of the grates, whatever the model number. For example:

IMG_6717.jpg

Chris,

I actually think that Weber has changed its mind (and design) from years ago vs now. Look at this older Weber cast iron grate package. It looks pretty clear to me that at that time they were thinking pointy side up (or the person is holding it upside down).

110m546.jpg

Still, it really is just what works for your grilling style and taste, so I don’t think either way is “right” or “wrong.”

Yep, I think Weber did design them pointy side up to begin with. However, I think they found that by using them flat side up, they could space the rows further apart and save a few bucks in Cast Iron per grate. I really don't think functionality has anything to do with it.

They were also a slightly different composition. Notice they are porcelain "coated" not "porcelainized" Big difference in how they behave

Back