Green Top Genesis - Are they rare?

Don't want to hijack the thread but I've also rebuilt a Kitchenaid mixer for my wife (then girlfriend).
$10 on Facebook
10.jpg

Fixed the switch and painted it her favorite color
11.jpg

12.jpg

It was a hit!
13.jpg

Still works perfect, 4 years on.

Joel,
Seeing your wonderful grill work and attention to detail that beautiful resto doesn’t surprise me at all. That is totally cool:cool: and I love the color, too! It looks like a Florida version;).

Larry,
We would enjoy seeing some of yours, too, if you have any pictures.

Last edited:
Wonderful job on that mixer. I'm curious as to the paint also, looks to nice to be from a rattle can.

That is an old Hobart K45. The newer version is the K45SS (solid state speed control) The Hobart version of the K45SS is da bomb for tilt heads BTW. They still had everything wonderful about the K45 you have but added solid state control. Best of everything there. Sadly you cannot convert the old ones Wonderful rugged machines. Very smooth and quiet. Sadly they're beginning to disappear because you cannot buy electrical parts for them anymore. I have 3 of them here just like that which I took on trade for scrap value. (bowl, and accessories) plus the gears and planetary. They have a huge wire wound resistor on the back bearing plate. They have a tendency to burn out. Once burnt out you will get maybe only high speed, or the machine may get very hot and begin pouring out acrid smoke.

Things you can do to help prevent that. IF making heavy dough or batter, do not run it too long at too low a speed. That resistor will get VERY hot. They get so hot you can see the heat waves coming off the top of the machine. If the machine is worked to a point that putting your hand on the top rear of the machine is somewhat uncomfortable immediately take the load away from the machine, than with no load run it at full speed so it can cool down. It will take about 3 minutes or so. Once cooled you can go back to doing what it was doing but again keep ahead of that temperature.

There is a capacitor also mounted just above the resistor and behind the speed control plate. At the age the machines are becoming those are beginning to fail. Again extra load on the resistor and lots of arcing on the contact points on the speed plate. You cannot get the plate any more though I think I have a couple laying around and some of the capacitors.

When they work those machines are wonderful though. If you did not do it I would recommend putting a 3 wire (grounded and polarized) cord on it too. If a winding shorts to the case the machine will continue to run fine but if you have your hand on the machine itself and touch ground you can get a helluva wallop from it. Trust me it ain't fun LOL. Not sure what you put in it for grease (hopefully not the KitchenAid grease) that stuff is awful. Those old machines used plain old automotive chassis grease (wheel bearing grease).

Otherwise hope she has lots of fun with it.

Last edited:
Been doing it for about 10 years. IN that time I have discovered what fails how to make them stronger/better, and continue to move on.

Do you have a favorite model? I have the KA KSM5 that is from 90 or 91. I need to replace the grease in it. Still using the original. Do you have a recommendation on a grease source?

Last edited:
This is what I use in most models https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01C01GL4U/tvwb-20 if you look around you can find it in less than lots of 10. I buy it like this as I use enough of it to make it worthwhile otherwise it's about $25 a tube
As for a favorite machine..................not really. I like the large frame Pro 600 series (AKA Pro 610 and 620 variants). Though I skip buying the Pro 6 as it uses a less powerful motor and does not use the pig tail dough hook but a C style dough hook. A Pro 600 is what is on our counter also but with the optional 11 wire whisk https://www.ebay.com/itm/KitchenAid...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 because it does things a little better like when you make whipped cream it's really fast and does a better job.

I also like this model as I get a better overall profit from them. They have a couple weaknesses that either look or sound like a disaster when they occur but are quite inexpensive to repair and modify to prevent recurrence. So it allows me to buy them very cheap. Also people buy these huge units thinking they'll be professional bakers or chefs and are disillusioned by their size, and that they rarely if ever use it. They're also pretty loud and some folks dislike that. Especially with the crap grease KA uses in them. I have 4 of them right now in various stages of production one will be purchased as soon as my parts come and I get it reassembled, cleaned and tested.

The model you have is a very good overall machine. I actually think it is a little more robust overall than the Pro 6xx and when they do break (if they do) they're pretty easy to fix. Weak point is the fail safe nylon worm follower. The issue you'll face trying to "regrease" it is the grease I use requires a complete cleaning of all traces of the KA garbage grease. Which means you need to pull the motor apart. Resetting the speed control/governor properly requires an electronic tachometer to set the low/mid and high speed ranges. I have repaired so many of them that people "repair" themselves. Heck one of the large machines I have on the bench now destroyed the entire gear train including the transmission housing because they didn't do it right. They bought one of those "kits" you find on FleaBay or Amazon that comes with a cup of grease, rubber gloves and a couple gears. The people selling those "kits" are crooks and sell it with a grease that is even inferior to the KA grease!
If you don't want to try messing with the governor and speed setting just use a good quality automotive grease. Something like this https://www.autozone.com/greases-an...cas-oil-14-oz-red-and-tacky-grease/693860_0_0 will work just fine. It should hold up well and not separate

Larry,
It was a while ago, but I think I did just use some grease that I had laying around. Certainly didn't buy any, but thanks for the recommendation. If it ever does start to act up I will get some of the Tri Flow for sure.

I did change out the cord to a 3 prong as you had suggested, the old one had some damage. And I believe the switch ended up just being loose, the only other parts that I bought were for dress up.

It gets used a lot, and has never given us any trouble. I suspect that thing will outlive me!

They bought one of those "kits" you find on FleaBay or Amazon that comes with a cup of grease, rubber gloves and a couple gears. The people selling those "kits" are crooks and sell it with a grease that is even inferior to the KA grease!
If you don't want to try messing with the governor and speed setting just use a good quality automotive grease. Something like this https://www.autozone.com/greases-an...cas-oil-14-oz-red-and-tacky-grease/693860_0_0 will work just fine. It should hold up well and not separate

Ugggh, I bought one of those kits. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah than I would take that machine apart and wipe that grease out. Just use a good automotive grease in it. That'll be far better. I took a machine apart that someone had used that crappy kit on and the grease was so bad parts were corroded internally. The corrosion was so bad parts had seized inside oiled bushings and ripped the bushings out. Unless you want to mess with the governor and speed control settings don't remove the plate and or the armature. Leave all that in place and just simply wipe the junk ot you put in, Be careful that work gear on the main shaft is SHARP and will cut you bad....................ask me how I know :D
Just get that crap grease outta there and put in some good stuff like I showed you and it'll live a good long time

Back