Wings on the grill or WSM?

Me and the wife were discussing wings/drums earlier today. I'm thinking about smoking them first then crisping them up on the (gas) grill afterwards.

so any advice about wings both on the grill and WSM are very much welcome and appreciated!
Wings need high heat and you can get high heat numerous ways:

C3B2BE8B-851E-4EAB-B07D-7AE4A1E592AA_zpslc83tbtb.jpg

68BB8C62-4DCC-446B-8CAB-6475F95B7DE7_zpsh5dmkwf0.jpg

But if I had to pick a favorite

58F9F863-CA96-484D-9810-32175C83FD03_zpsomrsrdby.jpg

Thanks much, Chuck! So you've had no issues with too much heat in the WSM? Did the grate buckle?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I guess I need a mini vortex for an 18.5" kettle, Bill. Not sure if there is enough of room for wings though.

Bought some wings on markdown today for about $1.63/lb. and I can't wait to try them on the WSM. The last wings I made on my grill, vortex style, came out great. Of course... I smoked them with a smidgen of hickory and my little lady thought they were too oversmoked. (I didn't mind, because I enjoyed the flavor.) I want to smoke some with cherry so badly next time.

I'm probably gonna sound stupid (don't judge! Still new to my Smokey Mountain; I'm in the middle of my third smoke as we speak), but Chuck, how long did you leave the door off your WSM during that particular cook?

Back