Is this Pellet Grill fuel

So, there is a difference? I figured that there had to be a reason for wood pellets to be that cheap.

Might have toxic fillers and binders which on the stove would exit outside instead of going over your food first...yuck.

Traeger claims heating pellets contain glues and chemicals. Seems like we would inhale some amount of this while heating our homes, lol.

I imagine isn't going to be the good hardwoods either that are good for flavoring meat. I wonder how many people use them for pellet grills given the price difference. Or maybe they are not even the right size/shape as used in pellet grills?

Doing a quick search, here's one guy's perspective on a thread in Smoking Meat Forums. He paints a picture, lol:

So, do these bags say something to the effect of "Not for use in Pellet Grills"?? I am just wondering because it could be confusing to some people and even open the outfits to law suits. Or are they made in a different shape or form that won't allow them to be used in a pellet grill?

I imagine isn't going to be the good hardwoods either that are good for flavoring meat. I wonder how many people use them for pellet grills given the price difference. Or maybe they are not even the right size/shape as used in pellet grills?

I've seen them, or similar at farm & fleet by the pellet stoves and a few say made with Douglas Fir.

Tim

I am no authority, but my opinion is that one of the most critical things about pellet grill cooking is the quality of pellets you use. I definitely wouldn’t consider something like these heating pellets, but beyond that I would also seek out high quality pellets that have a good reputation. A lot of people seem to agree that Lumberjack is one such brand. I would add Cookin Pellets.com. I think really good pellets could make an average grill produce really good results while poor pellets could torpedo the best grill.

We haven’t talked much about Weber’s new pellets, but it sounds like they also put some real research into these just like the grill itself. It doesn’t matter to me who is making them for Weber just how well they are made.

I just listened to the bbq central podcast where the guy from Weber was interviewed about the SmokeFire. Some interesting stuff. The more I hear in detail the more favorable I am towards this new grill.

He also talked a little about the Weber pellets. I hope they have some introductory sales, because I would really like to try a couple flavors in my Rec Tec. That sound well thought out.

This is what being stuck inside with no grill work being done will cause.

Or you can be stuck with a lot of honeydo’s and too much other work... I do have at least one gas grill ready to roll out of my new shop and a cool personal kettle just about finished. Also progress on a couple other projects. Having even a dinky, poorly designed “shop” is starting to pay dividends. I just need more TIME!

Or you can be stuck with a lot of honeydo’s and too much other work... I do have at least one gas grill ready to roll out of my new shop and a cool personal kettle just about finished. Also progress on a couple other projects. Having even a dinky, poorly designed “shop” is starting to pay dividends. I just need more TIME!
Jon,

You don't have a dinky shop. You have a Man Cave.

We've been using a pellet grill for a couple of years. When we first got it I bought a bag each of hickory, apple, pecan, and a "Classic" blend bag of hickory, pecan and mesquite. We
have decided there is not one bit of identifiable difference between any of them, so now we only buy the blend. The exception being, when we cold smoke cheese I use BBQrs Delight 100%
Apple pellets in the smoker tube. (At $12 per pound it SHOULD be 100% apple!!) There seems to be a lot of discussion online about cooking pellets and just how much of the "flavored wood" and
how much and what type of filler is used in them. I certainly do not claim to be a pellet expert, but those are my unsolicited thoughts!

Back