Smoked tortilla Chicken Soup

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Remember the other day when I smoked a chicken on the 14" WSM, well the left over bony parts (including the back bone and neck) I turned into 8 cups of of broth. I picked all the meat off what I could, and shredded the two breasts to make some chicken tortilla soup.

Here's the base recipe:

2 pre-cooked (preferably smoked) chicken breasts shredded. You can sub or add any other parts if you like.

8 cups chicken stock

1 small onion diced
1 jalapeno finely diced
1 bell pepper diced
2 small zucchini quartered and sliced

2 cans of diced tomatoes with chiles

1 can sliced olives (optional)

1 Tbs chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
4 Tbs tomato paste (optional) I did not use it this time as I forgot!

Salt and Pepper to taste. My stock was seasoned so I didn't need any this batch.

Garnish to serve with soup:

Tortilla chips or strips
Fresh chopped cilantro
Jalapeno slices (fresh or pickled)
Pickled red onion
Sliced avocado
Sour cream

Directions:

In a dutch oven or other heavy pot saute onion until soft.
Add all of the other ingredients to the pot mix.
Add Chicken stock, bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour then serve.

*Note if you like firmer zucchini add it towards the end of the simmer*

48803643272_93ed7d8ea6_z.jpg

48803643257_64bbda5870_z.jpg

48803152623_a92e283257_z.jpg

48803152668_74febbd8d0_z.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Looks really good Case. We love tortilla soup, I've got about ten or more different recipes for tortilla soup. I use mild Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with chilis vs. the other brands, I find the Ro-Tel adds a distinct flavor which goes very well with the tortilla soup.
Glad the hot weather is done so soup and casseroles can be added to the menus now.

Looks really good Case. We love tortilla soup, I've got about ten or more different recipes for tortilla soup. I use mild Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with chilis vs. the other brands, I find the Ro-Tel adds a distinct flavor which goes very well with the tortilla soup.
Glad the hot weather is done so soup and casseroles can be added to the menus now.

Thanks Rich! Yeah I have a bunch of different recipes too. We like a good taco soup!

I tried to get Rotel but its hard to find here for whatever reason. One Safeway carries the other two do not. One of the Albertsons caries it the other doesn't. Of course I didn't go to the ones that do!

Yeah we're supposed to get around 2" of snow tomorrow ***! Not ready for that kind of weather yet!

Thanks Rich! Yeah I have a bunch of different recipes too. We like a good taco soup!

I tried to get Rotel but its hard to find here for whatever reason. One Safeway carries the other two do not. One of the Albertsons caries it the other doesn't. Of course I didn't go to the ones that do!

Yeah we're supposed to get around 2" of snow tomorrow ***! Not ready for that kind of weather yet!

That's kind of odd you have both Safeway and Albertsons. When they merged the Albertsons was closed down here, so we just have Safeway now. I miss Albertsons because they carried a lot of salt free products where Safeway hardly has any.
What is this snow you talk about, don't even want to think about that yet. :p

That's kind of odd you have both Safeway and Albertsons. When they merged the Albertsons was closed down here, so we just have Safeway now. I miss Albertsons because they carried a lot of salt free products where Safeway hardly has any.
What is this snow you talk about, don't even want to think about that yet. :p

When they merged we had 3 Safeways and two Albertsons. Due to some fair trade law or something they had to close one of the Albertsons, which they sold to Hagan's. Which Albertsons did in multiple locations in Oregon and Washington. Then Hagan's filed for bankruptcy and Albertsons/Safeway bought all the stores back and re-branded them to Albertsons. Now we have two Albertsons again and three Safeways.

- - - Updated - - -

Hearty looking soup Case. Look good.

Thanks Cliff. It is tasty and we'll be eating on it as the weather cools off this weekend.

When they merged we had 3 Safeways and two Albertsons. Due to some fair trade law or something they had to close one of the Albertsons, which they sold to Hagan's. Which Albertsons did in multiple locations in Oregon and Washington. Then Hagan's filed for bankruptcy and Albertsons/Safeway bought all the stores back and re-branded them to Albertsons. Now we have two Albertsons again and three Safeways.

That's what happened here Hagans took over the Albertsons building then went belly up. The building is still sitting empty. Might be because the Safeway is only a block away from the old Albertsons building.

Case, that loos delicious. Lots of good stuff in that pot and thanks for the recipe.

Good golly does that look great!!!!!
Thanks for the great recipe.

Case, that loos delicious. Lots of good stuff in that pot and thanks for the recipe.

Thank you! It was tasty and fit the weather. Our temps have dropped off to below freezing at night this past week. Highs in the fifties. Yes snow has been flying around, but not sticking, at least not in town. Earliest snow I can ever remember here.

Looks guud. Its about soup time here.
Cant wait for the snows to come & all that goes with it. We really need the moisture.

Looks guud. Its about soup time here.
Cant wait for the snows to come & all that goes with it. We really need the moisture.

Thank you. Yep we need more snow this year. We've had a wetter than normal fall so far, but we need the white stuff up in the hills to stick around.

Back