Camp Maid chimney chicken

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
A while back I picked up the Camp Maid folding charcoal chimney to keep in my camp gear. The standard chimney is fine, but I don't have a good place to store it in the trailer. This chimney can be stored in a 12" D.O. which I just happen to have in the trailer all the time. As advertised it says that it can hold up to 45 briquettes. I was able to load it up with 50. Three wadded up paper towels one match and in about 8 minutes I had glowing red briquettes. No sense wasting hot briquettes so I dumped them in 14" WSM and threw on a spatched chicken. I ate the drums and wings. Tonight I'll use the rest of the bird for chicken tortilla soup or chicken enchiladas.

48790940207_fcb1d332d8_z.jpg

48790941207_9cbf5c0c82_z.jpg

48790432443_8cd325466c_z.jpg

48790791681_55fc03fb8e_z.jpg

48790431463_589e99128a_z.jpg

48790936102_e09cdd1968_z.jpg

48792981571_288be1d282_z.jpg

48793123182_4611b91693_z.jpg

48793123292_425e3e0788_z.jpg

48793123132_67b502f70f_z.jpg

Good looking chicken, Case, and that's a neat little gadget! I usually manage to find room for my Weber chimney when I pack the car, but could see this as a nice option. What's your guess as to the longevity of that Camp Maid folding chimney. I ask, because, when my Weber one gives up the ghost, I may just replace it with a folding one as both a primary use chimney in the backyard, and to take camping when we go....

R

Good looking chicken, Case, and that's a neat little gadget! I usually manage to find room for my Weber chimney when I pack the car, but could see this as a nice option. What's your guess as to the longevity of that Camp Maid folding chimney. I ask, because, when my Weber one gives up the ghost, I may just replace it with a folding one as both a primary use chimney in the backyard, and to take camping when we go....

R

Rich,

I was a bit concerned about how long it might last, but I have to say its a brute little beast. I think that it will hold up just fine. Another plus is that the handle didn't get hot, like many of the others do. I didn't need a glove to dump it.

Nice little camp tool Case. Chicken looks great too. What's the ceramic cooker in the background?

Cliff that is my 1967 Casa Q ceramic cooker. It was my grandfathers and I have been slowly restoring it. The ceramic charcoal ring is in several pieces. I have it wired back together but need to make some sort of welded support for it. The original metal chimney damper is MIA. It was just a flat plate of metal screwed to the top. I plan on getting a green egg damper for it. Its been my goal to have it up and running for thanksgiving for the last 9 years or so. My grandfather cooked evrey holiday bird on it. Maybe this year will be the year.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Duh or should a say “D’Oh!!”
Some days I think I should just stay in bed!:D

I can relate! Yesterday was one of those days!

Good looking bird and I can see if you have limited space that fold up would be a good option.

That looks really cool, but at $81.16 on Amazon Canada, I won’t be getting one anytime soon. My old $18 Weber will have to do. lol

Great looking chicken Case, and that's a great looking folding chimney. We had the same problems with storage in our trailers when we went camping.

Back