Pulled Pork from Small Butts

Steven Hubbard

TVWBB Member
We moved about a year ago, and I'm about to fire up the WSM for the first time since.

But . . . local shops don't have ANY of the 8-10lb butts I used to cook. I can find a fine collection of 4-5 lb (untrimmed) roasts -- they look like full roasts cut in half. Figure after trimming, I'll be looking at 3.5-4lbs per roast.

I'll smoke two of them to make pulled pork . . . grill temps 225-250 and I rarely use foil on butts.

Any experience cooking roasts this small on the 18" WSM? I'm thinking if I allow 7-8 hours for the cook that I'm good.

I sometimes cut whole butts in half for two separate cooks, don't recall the weights.
I've had them finish in 7 hours, no foil, but I run in the 260/270 range.

I just did a 3lb this weekend on my 18" WSM. Took 9 hours to reach 195. Was at 225-250 most of the time.

I did an 8 pounder last weekend at 275 +/- for 8 hours then 2 hours wrapped in tin foil in a cooler and oh my. Delish.....

Yes I’m in the bigger butt camp too,
This weekend I’m picking up a brace of them for Saturday, I thought I had a pair in the freezer but alas, I was mistaken only one! So, rather than worry about getting the one thawed and then getting a second one anyway, I will just pick up a couple and go from there. Less headache....I think.

I've cooked mostly the smaller/half sized ones, because that's what's the easiest to find in my local store. I also think they're most convenient as 1) they cook faster, 2) have more surface area for the rub, 3) make inexpensive gifts for getting someone hooked on smoked meat.

Thanks all. I've 2 roasts . . . each boneless and about 4lbs.

I found one large roast at a local farm yesterday. Priced at $11.50/lb (!!!!) . . . so I went back to the grocery and picked up the small ones at 1/10th the price! Sounds like I can cook them in about 7-9 hours, so that'll work. Shouldn't need to go overnight.

Cooked both boneless butts out of a Costco package that had a total weight of about 11lb before trimming last week on the 18.5". After trim and tie, one was done in about 7 hours (about 4 to take it to 160 and then wrap) and one took a little longer. Sounds pretty close to the size you're talking about.

I've cooked mostly the smaller/half sized ones, because that's what's the easiest to find in my local store. I also think they're most convenient as 1) they cook faster, 2) have more surface area for the rub, 3) make inexpensive gifts for getting someone hooked on smoked meat.

A neighbor subscribes to Butcher Box and gave me a half-butt he didn't know what to do with. I gotta admit, it was awesome in every way. It cooked fast, took rub nicely, had a higher percentage of bark, tasted just like a large one and had very little leftovers to deal with.

Jeff

Back