Thread: Sunday Smoke Beef Short Ribs Plate

Sunday Smoke Beef Short Ribs Plate

One of my bad habits when smoking is trying to smoke on an exact schedule and the vast majority of time I do not come close to my schedule. So on Sunday instead of stetting an end time and work back my schedule to when I should start. I just went and smoked. Prior to smoking the short ribs I looked online for a ball park amount of time it should take and found 5 hours as an estimate. Unfortunately mine took 7.5 hours. I used a basic rub of S&P and had my 18.5 WSM at 250 degrees. After 3 hours of smoking the ribs were at 171 so I wrapped them in foil. After 7.5 hours they were at 203 and probe tender. I let them rest for 2 hours while I had some family time. After the rest I tasted and they were very good. Unfortunately this was at 11:00 pm. so they went in the fridge for the next day.

(First time posting pictures so please bare with me)

Simple S&P Rub

After 1 Hour.

After 2 Hours

After 3 Hours

11:00 pm after 7.5 hours on the smoker and 2 hours rest.
    Last edited by Chris S in YEG; 05-21-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Looks like some tasty ribs! Nice smoke!

On cuts that take a long time, I always add ca 2 hour buffer to what I think should happen. That way the meat is close to being done.
    14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Cliff Bartlett's Avatar
    That looks delicious Chris. As long as you eat before midnight, it's a success! I've been pretty lucky with beef ribs, but early on I had a couple of pork shoulders that made me cry.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by CaseT View Post
    Looks like some tasty ribs! Nice smoke!

On cuts that take a long time, I always add ca 2 hour buffer to what I think should happen. That way the meat is close to being done.
    With all the little things that could effect the duration of a smoke, I need to expand my buffer when I am expecting to eat at a certain time. 2 hours is an excellent recommendation.
    18.5" 22"

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Bartlett View Post
    That looks delicious Chris. As long as you eat before midnight, it's a success! I've been pretty lucky with beef ribs, but early on I had a couple of pork shoulders that made me cry.
    My first pork butt turned out good. It was for a dinner party that we scheduled to eat at 6:00. We ended up eating around 8:00 with little rest time for the pork butt. Luckily appetizers kept the kids happy and beverages kept the adults happy.
    18.5" 22"

Nice looking beef ribs Chris!
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Blackstone 17, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

great job on those extra meaty ribs!!!

Those beef ribs look awesome. I say well worth the wait,
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

Wow, love those ribs. Nice job

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Excellent cook!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2