Q lid repaint

Liz QM

TVWBB Member
I have a Q200 lid and Q220 lid to be repainted. I have sprayed a Q100 before but I cannot remember if I put primer on first?
What do you guys recommend?
Do you use 2 cans of paint to cover one lid?

I've never seen anyone primer for "heat spray paint" so I don't think that's necessary. If you decide to go two cans, wait a couple days before painting with the second can.

If power coating is available near you, you might look into that. It costs a little, but well worth the price of admission

I've never seen anyone primer for "heat spray paint" so I don't think that's necessary. If you decide to go two cans, wait a couple days before painting with the second can.

If power coating is available near you, you might look into that. It costs a little, but well worth the price of admission
There is a guy that does powder coating but does it matter if it on the inside of the lid as well?

I would not put any paint or powder coating on the inside. You risk harmful fumes getting into the food.

I just use a good high heat paint. Rustoleum makes three colors of their High Heat Ultra. Aluminum, Copper and Black. You can also get other colors but they are in a "Matte" finish, but if you put a couple coats of their High Heat clear coat, it turns to a very pretty gloss.

rPby6NE.jpg

Could try powder coating it yourself and simply use the heat of the grill itself to set the paint

Could try powder coating it yourself and simply use the heat of the grill itself to set the paint

That just gave me a lot of ideas. All of which I am likely to never do given my experience level with powder coating, and the trouble I would get into at home trying to figure out the process, buying the material, and so on.

There is a guy that does powder coating but does it matter if it on the inside of the lid as well?
It won't make any difference, the downside is that all that nice powder coating on the inside will get all smokey / greasy. The outside will be amazing, and very easy to keep clean

Hard to see how you could make anything look better than Bruce's workmanship, but I suppose properly done powder coating would last longer. It seems to me, though, that these lids get enough residue that a re-paint every few years is probably a good thing. Also, you can then have some fun and change your color!

Then again, from my limited looking at it, if you can learn to powder coat, you can do stuff like stenciling logos. So you could have a Cubs (Sorry, Dave, KC Royal) blue lid with your team logo. A black Q with a White Sox logo would really be tempting to me:eek:!

I have 2 or 3 Q grills ready for rehab when the weather turns finally. It was -10 when I woke up this morning and that is without wind chill. But, I am thinking maybe the red again and then maybe blue. But, as far as Q grills go, I wouldn't repaint them just for the heck of it. If you can clean up the lid without repainting, that is preferential since you cannot get as durable of a finish as the original unless you can powder coat it.

The lids do need painting, the coating has come off in quite a lot of places.
I am going to keep the Q220 and paint it this colour!!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VHT-SP756-HOT-PINK-ENGINE-ENAMEL-PAINT/382471636995
The Q200 I am gifting to a work colleague and I think he wants green :(
This is the Q100 that I did have and gifted onto my daughter, this was sprayed with the blue high temp paint.

IMG_0050 by Liz Quentin, on Flickr
Locally we now only have black and black paint available so an order from eBay is on the cards

LIZ:
I suggest that you rethink that idea. That paint is only rated for 550 degrees. These grills can get that high. I would not use anything not rated for closer to 1000 degrees. While the lid thermometer may read 500, there will be areas that can get much higher so you need some buffer.

This is the stuff I used on the grill pictured above.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-High-Heat-Gas-Oil-Resistant-12-oz/21078588

If you check amazon, you will find several colors using search: "Rust-Oleum High Heat automotive"

Here is a nice "BLUE" color. Still only 900 degrees, but should be plenty for the Q grill lid.

Last edited by a moderator:
LIZ:
I suggest that you rethink that idea. That paint is only rated for 550 degrees. These grills can get that high. I would not use anything not rated for closer to 1000 degrees. While the lid thermometer may read 500, there will be areas that can get much higher so you need some buffer.

This is the stuff I used on the grill pictured above.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-High-Heat-Gas-Oil-Resistant-12-oz/21078588

If you check amazon, you will find several colors using search: "Rust-Oleum High Heat automotive"

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_...1fbed205874ca0ae85&language=en_US?tag=TVWB-20

Here is a nice "BLUE" color. Still only 900 degrees, but should be plenty for the Q grill lid.

Thanks Bruce. I need to order from the UK and have found these paints in lots of colours

https://www.forstoveglass.co.uk/stoveglass/Stove_Bright_High_Temperature_Stove_Paint.html

And they go up to 1200f so should be ok. I have ordered a paint chart to really see what the colours are like ��

Geez, I cannot remember but I still have part of the one can laying around and I have used it for more than just that one Q200. It was a normal sized can.

I do suggest 3-4 coats at least. If you want a really glossy finish, you can always put a couple coats of the high heat clear over it as well.

I have cleaned, wire brushed the flaking finish and sanded all over the lids so I could paint with high temp engine enamel. I have done a Q200 for a work colleague and the Q220 for me. The lids did have a bit of pitting, but they look 100 times better than what they did!
Here is mine all finished :)

48071915917_56f0c41be4_k.jpg
[/url]C0AC4166-D210-4786-821E-A6F74BC6D94B by Liz Quentin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back