The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How thirsty are the 22s?

TVWBB All-Star
    I love my 18.5" WSM and it doesn't use much fuel. The only time I prefer 22.5" (which I have with my Performer and Smoke EZ extender) is when I'm cooking a large brisket. The 22.5" setup uses a little over 1 lb/hr. Not sure if that's considered "thirsty", but I always have several hundred pounds of charcoal from the sales so I really don't notice. My bil has a 22.5" WSM and doesn't seem concerned with fuel consumption.
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers, Smoke EZ, GMG Daniel Boone, White Thermapen MK4

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    The 22.5" setup uses a little over 1 lb/hr.
    To your point, this is why I'm puzzled that the OP burned-through 14-15 lbs for 2 racks of ribs. But I don't have sufficient data in my logs to quantify an answer (I bought an 18 within a couple months of getting the 22, so I stopped using the 22 for 5-hour smokes). But I do have data to support a claim of having done shoulders in the 22" with less than an 18.6 lb bag of KBB.

I did a hot and fast brisket a few weeks ago in my 22WSM and I was pleasantly surprised how efficient it was. Plenty of charcoal left after shutting it down.
    26.75", Vintage 26", Vintage 22", Vintage 18", Smokey Joe, 22.5", PK Classic

I start my 22 full of charcoal. Next cook I move all the unused charcoal to the outside and dump a chimney of lit coal in the middle. Repeat for every cook thereafter. I never have to add more than the chimney of coal always have coal to push to the outside of the ring. I mainly smoke chicken, butts, loins, tri-tip roast and ribs. I rarely do brisket as it's priced crazy in NE Kansas. So, I guess you can tell I use a Weber chimney of charcoal for each cook on the 22. I don't use the water pan at all, and switch between using the hanging rack or the grill grates depending on what is being smoked. Smoke between 275 and 300.

I sure don't understand how you can be using just under 15 pounds of charcoal for ribs, unless you're not using Kingsford blue bag

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    When the butt hits the stall wrap it. The cooker doesnít use as much fuel to get the meat done faster. Iíve never used a whole bag for one cook. I also donít wait thru the stall.

I do Packers high heat. Never replenish the charcoal and done in ~5hrs.

Ribs are 4-5 hours depending on if I wrap or not.
    Last edited by Dwain Pannell; 12-31-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12