Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Smoke Seasonings"

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Smoked salts are a “finishing” flavor, smoked paprika is a distinctive flavor unto itself, liquid smoke...well, that has its own place. The rest are real ingredients, not, “hacks” or “crutches” to be specific.
    They are not intended to take the place of the smoking anything.
    I think we are all good Dustin, at least you and I are fine. Just send brisket!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Pro
    I'm becoming more of a purist in terms of rubs, often using just salt, fresh ground pepper and granulated garlic for smoked foods. That being said, I wouldn't look down on anyone for using "smoked" ingredients in their rubs or sauces. Personally, I like to use them to bring a smoky flavor to foods that I can't or wouldn't cook on my WSM. For example, I use applewood-smoked bacon, smoked paprika and canned chipotle peppers (smoke-dried jalapenos) in my go-to chili recipe. They add that little special something that gets people scratching their heads to try an identify the flavor. Just enough background smoke and heat to make folks sit up an take notice.
    22.5" WSM , Jumbo Joe , SS Performer , PartyQ and lots of

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12